Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Recommend a backpack

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:10 - 24 Aug 2018    Post subject: Recommend a backpack Reply with quote

Hey folks, I was wondering whether any of you have a good, waterproof backpack you could recommend for daily commuting?

I currently have a DaKine bag with a chest strap. It is so comfortable - I barely notice it's there. I carry my chain in it and the weight is close to my back so it's not a problem at all.

I would like 3 things it doesn't have, though:
- Waterproof (this is the most important)
- A separate compartment for my chain so I don't have to unpack everything to put the chain (in a plastic bag) at the bottom of my bag.
- High visibility (my current bag is black with no reflectors).

It doesn't need to be big. I don't need to carry a laptop or anything but I guess a laptop-type compartment would be nice to have if I need to carry an A4 book or something and want to avoid bending it.

I could also get a waterproof cover for my DaKine bag, but not sure whether water would still get in via my back? I'm thinking of the proper downpour situations here!

Thoughts? I've looked at lots of reviews but nothing I've found ticks all the boxes (yet). There is a lot to look at!

The other option is a top box, but I've been won over to the thought that my bike looks better with no top box and vanity is winning.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 24 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A balled up chain next to your lower back? Pass.

How about a kreiga tail pack?

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 24 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't recommend a bag as I don't use one - I don't fancy coming off with a heavy chain strapped toy back.

A top box is excellent. Yes they don't look great but since getting my first one I'll never have a big without one fitted. Makes life so much easier. You don't see it whilst riding and I really don't care about what others think.

I use a tail pack on one of my bikes and it works well but the top box is definitely more convenient. A tail pack would look better on a sports or naker bike though.

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:27 - 24 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top box is scoring points again!
I had one on my previous bike and it was superbly convenient.

Sure, the chain next to my back is a risk, but so is my lunch box (frozen).

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 24 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Recommend a backpack Reply with quote

Johanna wrote:
The other option is a top box, but I've been won over to the thought that my bike looks better with no top box and vanity is winning.

Safety > Vanity.

Top box is great but depends how much weight you'll be putting in it and how that weight will effect the balance of the bike, including the stress on the topbox arms and frame of the bike.

Tail-pack (such as Kriega or Oxford; they break a lot) are probably the best because central weight over the pillion seat secured tight -- what bike limits what options you have for tailpacks.

Kriega do backpacks too -- that are supposed to distribute the weight to prevent fatigue during riding -- but I'd be more concerned that any chain you can carry, on a daily basis, in a backpack can be easily cut; omitting safety, of course.

Kreiga's expensive but well reviewed; Oxford is less well made but has more functionality for commuting -- I'd go with the best from the start if you can afford it.

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:32 - 24 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't say if it's as good as a proper biking backpack, but my Quechua has served me well as it's durable and has a good amount of pockets in it. I've used it to carry disc locks and U-locks but I wouldn't want to carry a decent sized chain in it. Even if the bag can handle it there's the safety and comfort issues.

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:44 - 24 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Recommend a backpack Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Johanna wrote:

Safety > Vanity.

Top box is great but depends how much weight you'll be putting in it and how that weight will effect the balance of the bike, including the stress on the topbox arms and frame of the bike.

I'd put my chain in the GIVI top box; it looks sturdy enough but things like you mentioned and the fact that the previous owner of my old 125 broke their top box over a speed hump (albiet not a GIVI one) has made me wonder if getting a decent disc lock or two would be better, saving on weight.

Last edited by SDFarsight on 10:47 - 24 Aug 2018; edited 2 times in total

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 24 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuting in the big L?

How about a bulletproof kevlar backback, not sure if it's acid proof though?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Guard-Dog-Security-ProShield-Bulletproof/dp/B01N4VTIS2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1535103842&sr=8-1&keywords=bulletproof+backpack

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:23 - 24 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kriega US series is a good shout.
I have carried a laptop in mine on a number of occasions along with all my other touring gear - I'm just careful to make sure it is well padded top and bottom. The bags have proved to be 100% waterproof, and dispense with concerns about carrying heavy stuff on your back. Different sizes available to suit your needs, and they come with shoulder straps for ease of carrying when removed from the bike. Very secure on the bike.

Not sure they're so great for carrying a chain and keeping it easily accessible from other stuff - there is a netting-type pouch underneath, but not sure it's particularly strong, and the zip pocket on top seems to me to be too small for that. Put the chain in last after everything else though, and that would work.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:27 - 26 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not commuting in the big L. I ride about 25 miles in to Bristol so get some nice variation on route if I avoid the motorway. Smile

Thanks for all the good advice.

The tail pack is something I hadn't considered. I will look in to that as well.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:34 - 26 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely Kreiga tail pack. Love mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:58 - 26 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for a kreiga tailpack if you can leave it on bike without worrying.
Top box is good, but get some foam in the bottom, nice thick piece, and then cut stencil to fit your chain. Stops chain sliding around and upsetting balance, breaking wine bottles and making a lot of noise.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:08 - 26 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top box or tail pack, strap/bungee your bag to your seat, anything is better than a chain in a bag. If you come off a chain will fuck you up, be under no illusions.

I like my ribs intact and not through my internal organs, and you can't see the bike's profile when riding it.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 26 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kriega tailpack.

I've got a 25L one full of tools on mine permanently. I only remove it when I'm leaving the bike somewhere dodgy.

But it has a shoulder strap built in so it's easy to carry.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 26 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panniers (you could use one or both) seem to look a bit nicer than a topbox:

Example: https://www.motorcycleplanet.co.uk/products/1859-givi-te1137-easylock-pannier-rack-for-honda-cbr-650f/

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 26 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will never put anything near my back when riding. That makes back protector obsolete.

I use Jofama tail bag. It has a slim profile and it's better then a top box regarding cross winds and motorway riding.

https://www.motorcycletravelshop.co.uk/soft-bags/65-jofama-bag-large.html

I have written off one bike with it. Me and the bag are still fine Laughing

rcbikeracer
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:22 - 26 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

panniers??????

rcbikeracer
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:24 - 26 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

panniers??????

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 26 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcbikeracer wrote:
panniers??????

Also at sportsbikeshop: https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/306621

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 26 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kriega make excellent stuff, even if you half-arse closing their tail packs up they are still waterproof. I have now had my Kriega rucksack for 8 years and it is still in pretty good nick (although the K decal has peeled off Sad) and have a US30, 20 and a couple of 10's for touring. The only downside to them is that if you use a combination of packs then it can be a faff to repeatedly put them on the bike in the morning and take them off in the evening. They come with a shoulder strap though to make it easier to carry.

Expensive but long lasting, durable and well made Thumbs Up

AdamEf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:05 - 26 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the Kriega packs. I use a combo of the 20 and 10. Usually just the 20 is enough.
Straps down to the pillion seat on my SV650 really securely. Easy to remove and carry too.
Really well made and waterproof.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 26 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Deuter Futura 28 with its suspended mesh back. (Although I noticed other manufacturers have that now too.) As others have said, avoid carrying hard, bulky items in it. I ironed on some reflective chevrons years ago and surprisingly, they're still there through wind and rain.

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 26 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has mentioned the £10 special?
https://www.xlmoto.co.uk/course-slipstream-water-resistant-backpack

Use it for commuting to work, rode to switzerland and back with it... 10 quid!

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 27 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDonUK wrote:
No one has mentioned the £10 special?
https://www.xlmoto.co.uk/course-slipstream-water-resistant-backpack

Use it for commuting to work, rode to switzerland and back with it... 10 quid!

Very interesting. Have you got one now? Bumf says it's 52cm x 36cm x 18.5 cm. is this the maximum dimension, or the size of a rectangular thing you can fit in it?

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:17 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROK straps and whatever doesn't have dangly bits strapped to the pillion seat. Rolltop drybags work quite well.

Mine's a Held and appears quite robust, but there are plenty out there and not expensive.

Beware the topbox option, most affordable racks have a fairly low maximum weight (5 or 10 kg) so you're not getting a lot in a topbox, particularly if you have a heavy topbox. A sturdy pannier rack and slim panniers are a superior option but you're looking a much much more than the cost of a tailpack.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 215 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2