Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Returning to what I loved so much yet left..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:16 - 25 Aug 2018    Post subject: Returning to what I loved so much yet left.. Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I'm a returning biker (52) but don't have a bike yet. I'd like to ask for more up to date advice.

I passed my bike test back in the day when you passed on a 125 and could ride unlimited afterwards. I think in 1985. Would my full bike licence still hold? I'm currently aiming for a DRZ400 SM if that helps. I owned bikes up to 550cc and also rode friends bikes up to 1100cc. I'm very aware that modern machines are more powerful and promise to be careful.

I've done quick compare type insurance quotes but are there sly insurance tricks I should try to avoid? I drive a car so know of a few!

Now that I'm into the 'half a hundreds' I've also turned slightly rounded. Add that to being tall it makes finding everyday clothing difficult. My question is are there shops around who will cater for large men? I've a 54" chest for starters - should give you an idea of my problem!
Ideally I'm after a one piece leather for dry days but to start with will go the fabric with armour route first. I've spotted bespoke leathers offered on Evilbay but would rather try to buy than go down a tricky route..
I already have an open helmet (was riding friends machines offroad) so know finding a new one isn't going to be an issue.

I had a bike from aged 10 until I was 30. I'm also very knowledgeable with engines etc and so maintaining it won't be a problem though tyres will always be fitted by a shop.

A serious question; How friendly are the polis towards aftermarket exhausts? Will I be dry humped every time I start it??

I'll continue to drive a car throughout so Winter use won't happen. This is purely to have the fun I once had.

I think that's all I have for now. Cheers!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:22 - 25 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Returning to what I loved so much yet left.. Reply with quote

Fourte wrote:
Hey everyone. I'm a returning biker (52) but don't have a bike yet. I'd like to ask for more up to date advice.

I passed my bike test back in the day when you passed on a 125 and could ride unlimited afterwards. I think in 1985. Would my full bike licence still hold?

Best advice here is to plumb your details into here:
https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

If you have category A and no special codes (79 Trike springs to mind) then you're golden. Don't guess this; make sure you check and I don't mean calling DVLA which is about as futile an exercise as it gets Laughing.

Fourte wrote:
I've done quick compare type insurance quotes but are there sly insurance tricks I should try to avoid? I drive a car so know of a few!

All insurance people are lovely and very trustworthy Wub
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 25 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get one piece leathers.
Leather bottoms are a good buy but combine with a textile jacket which has pockets for your stuff and probably a zip out liner.
If you are fairly confident about sizes ebay is the best place for budget gear, you can get last year's design new and plenty of barely used items come up due to owners selling their bike or mysteriously changing shape and sizing up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 25 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you've done a bit of research and reading already!

Textiles are a whole lot better than when you rode bikes back in the day, more practical than leathers for the most part too.

DRZ seems a fine choice, but bike theft is a huge amount worse than it used to be, budget for top notch security too. Don't buy an Oxford chain and think it'll do.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 25 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
DRZ seems a fine choice, but bike theft is a huge amount worse than it used to be, budget for top notch security too. Don't buy an Oxford chain and think it'll do.

I'll second the security. Crossers and Supermoto's are pikey/chav/scum magnets. Little bastards will be off with it sharpish if you don't have it properly secure. Look at 16/19mm chains with an appropriate (Squire 65 or 85, Rotalock, etc) padlock for home. Pragmasis, Almax, PJB all make them.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 25 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also get some sort of tracker system, either one that offers 24/7 monitoring or you or one that you set up yourself.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:09 - 25 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and get a gun. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 25 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots and lots of great advice cheers.

With locks I'd spotted many Youtube videos with channels specifically shaming top brands (fair enough padlocks but you get the idea). It's like any security product - it will only slow them down and not stop them.
I'll get the best I can afford and some more. I'll check further on here before purchasing.

I've like an outside passage/room/extension thingy here and am still making it secure - I should have started a thread. I'm literally adding anything I can to it to slow the shits down. Nothing is ever enough unfortunately.

Ground anchors and wall anchors are being fabbed too - do insurance companies insist on particular brands of anchors or will lumps of huge metal sunk into floors and bolted into stone do?
Cameras/alarms and more will be added. I'll be honest that I'd thought of tracker but wasn't sure for the bike. Again, it's been suggested so I'll look into it.

I really have no idea with clothing. I'd spotted Evilbay selling used bike clothing but needed someone to mention it. Now I'll need to wait until Mr Giant flogs his gear..

Coming back to all this has been a surprise. It's not so much the price of the machine or the cost of insurance. It's more about those upfront costs such as security and protective gear. It's mostly a one-off purchase that though.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:03 - 25 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth it. Despite all the hassles, it's worth it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 25 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
c_dug wrote:

I'll second the security. Crossers and Supermoto's are pikey/chav/scum magnets. Little bastards will be off with it sharpish if you don't have it properly secure. Look at 16/19mm chains with an appropriate (Squire 65 or 85, Rotalock, etc) padlock for home. Pragmasis, Almax, PJB all make them.

This, I've got two ground anchors, alarmed disc lock, one pnchpin, 2 armored chains, and another bike with a 3rd chain chained to my enduro, and i still worry.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 25 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This, I've got two ground anchors, alarmed disc lock, one pnchpin, 2 armored chains, and another bike with a 3rd chain chained to my enduro, and i still worry.[/quote]

I had to Google what a pinch pin actually was. Just shows how out of touch with things I'd become. An internet search throws up some decent locking kit which is UK made albeit pricey.
Looks like the chains and locks etc will cost the best part of £500. Again its part of the initial set-up costs. I reckon at this rate I'll end up with a Chinese £50 125!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:44 - 26 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Returning to what I loved so much yet left.. Reply with quote

arry wrote:

All insurance people are lovely and very trustworthy Wub

Thanks, I'm now in an intensive care ward due to damage done because I can't stop laughing.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:46 - 26 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourte wrote:
This, I've got two ground anchors, alarmed disc lock, one pnchpin, 2 armored chains, and another bike with a 3rd chain chained to my enduro, and i still worry.

I had to Google what a pinch pin actually was. Just shows how out of touch with things I'd become. An internet search throws up some decent locking kit which is UK made albeit pricey.
Looks like the chains and locks etc will cost the best part of £500. Again its part of the initial set-up costs. I reckon at this rate I'll end up with a Chinese £50 125![/quote]

Well, it didn't help that I cocked the spelling up Laughing

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:45 - 26 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Security doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. Start with the bare necessities and build up. You can do a Y anchor and decent chain for the right side of £200 I reckon.

Actually let's test that:

Knock-off Y anchor: Less than £20 delivered

Almax IV + Squire SS65: 1m chain- £155

Even the 1.5m chain only breaks £200 by a tenner.

Easy.

That said, I know a bit more about locks than I once did, and although I bought myself the Almax IV and Squire SS65, these days I'd be more inclined to go for a different padlock. Toying with replacing my Squire with an Abloy PL362.

Tell your insurer as little as possible with regards to security, mostly it won't affect your premium all that much in any case, but if you tell them it has X on it and then doesn't when the bike is pinched, you're giving them an easy out.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:29 - 26 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the insurance thing is I simply don't trust them. They've destroyed me before with a car issue. I'd also read a thread here where someone didn't get a payout after a supermoto was stolen. I simply don't want to give them a chance to weedle out of a payment. As has been said, don't admit to things if they're not asked and most of all - read the small print.

That's a good link for security. It's a bit rough is that part of Tyneside - they must know their stuff!!
I'm bookmarking links as they're given as they'll give me a good idea as to what I need. I'll probably start a request for ideas when it comes closer to purchase.

Cheers Smile

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:43 - 26 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Tell your insurer as little as possible with regards to security, mostly it won't affect your premium all that much in any case, but if you tell them it has X on
it and then doesn't when the bike is pinched, you're giving them an easy out.

If you can stand the premiums, declare no security and parked on-road. Mine was a trivial difference, the bike is certainly worth more than the extra, yours may be different. That way, even if you get in from a ride knackered, forget to put lock X, Y or Z on it, and they have it off, it doesn't really matter. Yeah, you'll be down a bike, but you're not outside of the agreed conditions for storing the bike.

I have *far* more security than declared. And there is zero chance I'll leave a bike unlocked. But it removes the possibility of you not getting a bike replaced/repaired/payout because of one tiny oversight.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 26 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
c_dug wrote:
Tell your insurer as little as possible with regards to security, mostly it won't affect your premium all that much in any case, but if you tell them it has X on
it and then doesn't when the bike is pinched, you're giving them an easy out.

If you can stand the premiums, declare no security and parked on-road. Mine was a trivial difference, the bike is certainly worth more than the extra, yours may be different. That way, even if you get in from a ride knackered, forget to put lock X, Y or Z on it, and they have it off, it doesn't really matter. Yeah, you'll be down a bike, but you're not outside of the agreed conditions for storing the bike.

I have *far* more security than declared. And there is zero chance I'll leave a bike unlocked. But it removes the possibility of you not getting a bike replaced/repaired/payout because of one tiny oversight.

Oh blimey that's an interesting angle to take too. These things are exactly what I'm looking for - basically taking care of all eventualities.
Although I've not yet tried a quote comparing the differences in premium cost yet I have to agree - adjustments tend not to make a heck of a difference.
I'll give an idea; I did a seriously quick quote on a DRZ400, zero no claims, buried in a shed, pillion allowed etc and was quoted £400 fully comp. I actually think that's a fair price? I'll bet changing overnight storage only adds on another £100. Far far too busy the next 4 days to faff on with quotes but will definitely consider it and try it. Paying even more would be well worth a guaranteed payout.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 216 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1