BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki GSX 150 Bandit

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:55 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, let's examine the claim that "you can't feel 4bhp". There is insufficient context for this statement alone to be either true or false.

Consider a bicycle with a fit rider, approximately 0.25bhp. 4.25bhp here is a massive difference. It's bicycle vs moped.

Consider now a modest motorcyle, a 95bhp FZS600. I'm not sure my arse can tell the difference between a 95 bhp bike and a 99bhp bike. evidently there must be a point between these vehicles where a 4bhp difference ceases to become noticeable.

Can you tell a 78bhp Bandit from a Fazer? Of course you can, 20% more power is very noticable.

What about a 98 R1 (150 bhp) vs a 2011 R1 (187 bhp)? "The most noticeable difference compared to previous R1s is how quickly it accelerates out of corners." - MCN

Just divide the power figures for the R1 by ten and we're back to 15 vs 19...

4 bhp increase on a 15bhp bike? noticable
4 bhp increase on a modest 600? probably not

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:43 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:

Just divide the power figures for the R1 by ten and we're back to 15 vs 19...
4 bhp increase on a 15bhp bike? noticable
4 bhp increase on a modest 600? probably not

I very much doubt it's linear, but that's seat-of-the-pants, no actual basis.

Adding 4BHP in the midrange on the bike I reckon you would notice, albeit a small difference, as it's where you use it most of the time. If you're cracking it to 10K, 11K, whatever the redline is, it will be overshadowed, other things will make a far bigger difference, you won't feel it.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 30 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vs aero forces not linear so top speed and acceleration under aero-dominated conditions is proportional to the cube root of power.

Acceleration under non-aero conditions is proportional to force / mass, and power is force x distance / time so low speed relationship is roughly linear. Also mass of 125 ish bike +rider is maybe 2/3 that of sportsbike + rider depending on how fat the rider is.
Bricemclain This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:26 - 15 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Numbers, physics, growly posts, all over 125 vs 150 Confused .

Look at it like this , if you had to do a journey on a 125 or a 150, the chances are you’d chose the 150.
However if all the 150’s were taken, you wouldn’t worry to much if you had to use a 125.

Me , I’d see both as an opportunity/challenge to do longer Journeys on.

Of course there’ll be someone come along and tell us all how ALL smaller bikes are shit and how everybody should ride 10000cc superbikes or we’re gay! Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 217 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2