Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone know about house construction?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 27 Aug 2018    Post subject: Anyone know about house construction? Reply with quote

*sorted*

Now, I thought it looked a bit quirky so I looked into it, and it looks very similiar to the Cornish fabricated houses which of course are non standard construction and basically unmortgagable, but this one is obviously brick built but I'm assuming timber framed? In the local estates there are random clusters of these houses all almost identical, so is it just a housing style of the 80's for this area in the North East? Bit concerning and not sure I can be bothered with the hassle.

Last edited by Irn-Bru on 06:31 - 17 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 27 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's likely to be steel framed, they did a lot of those type in steel frames in the 70's.
Some mortgage companies will lend on them though, but you will have to look around.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:41 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know naught about the house construction but that pole outside looks fine for chaining a bike to. Thumbs Up

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:13 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down in darkest Devon an estate full of Cornish prefabs had the ground floors rebuilt in brick by the council because they were falling apart and it was cheaper to prop them up and rebuild the lower part than to knock them down and put proper houses in their place.
That photo has a Dutch roof not a hip roof as fitted to a Cornish prefab, looks like a kosher brick built late 70's/ early 80's rabbit hutch.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:22 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
I know naught about the house construction but that pole outside looks fine for chaining a bike to. Thumbs Up

One I'm looking at has a detached garage with double drive, plus wrap around fenced off gardens, it's all I'm interested in Surprised There's potential to convert it to a double garage but it would require the foundations to be extended and probably not worth the investment, as I've viewed houses I notice 99.9% people don't actually use their garages and just fill them with crap, it's only bikers and cyclists, and the odd car fanatic who bother with them. I had one or 2 people just deny me entry to the garage as if it's no big deal, sort of a deal breaker to me not being allowed to see part of a house I'm interested in Laughing Seen some right states, thought I would prefer new builds but after looking at a few that are 10ish years old, massively over priced, have no garden and tiny rooms, plus are falling apart in some cases, I think not.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:45 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Anyone know about house construction? Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
Now, I thought it looked a bit quirky so I looked into it, and it looks very similiar to the Cornish fabricated houses which of course are non standard construction and basically unmortgagable, but this one is obviously brick built but I'm assuming timber framed?

Phone the estate agent up and ask. They will know what they are selling.

Note: the problem with the "Cornish houses" was not the construction method, it was the materials used in the concrete used in some houses before 1950.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 08:50 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Anyone know about house construction? Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

For shits and giggles you could try asking them but I wouldn't trust their answer. You can tell if an estate agent is lying because their lips will be moving.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:27 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a "how's it constructed" question. Their answer has to be accurate (although it could be "we don't know"). They can't legally lie, although on other questions I agree, they " may" stretch a point....

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:37 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ask them a question in person then you can almost see the cogs in their head turning as they try to figure out what answer you're wanting to hear from them.

OP... this thread might be easier if you post the link to the details on Rightmove. Wink

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Anyone know about house construction? Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:
Now, I thought it looked a bit quirky so I looked into it, and it looks very similiar to the Cornish fabricated houses which of course are non standard construction and basically unmortgagable, but this one is obviously brick built but I'm assuming timber framed?

Note: the problem with the "Cornish houses" was not the construction method, it was the materials used in the concrete used in some houses before 1950.

That's what happens when you build on the cheap and use crappy steel rebar, a perfect example of 'concrete cancer'.

Come on guys, just look at it. An eejit can figure out those are solid brick gable walls, the upper floor exterior walls , faced with roof, have to be timber framed because of the roof style, the lower floor will have solid walls interior and exterior to hold the gable walls, and the upper internal walls are quite probably brick as well to tie the gable uppers.
Not as well built as a Victorian/Edwardian place but makes a modern timber fraed place look about as robust as a cardboard box.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Anyone know about house construction? Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

That's what happens when you build on the cheap and use crappy steel rebar, a perfect example of 'concrete cancer'.

To continue the side conversation, the problem with some of buildings in Cornwall and the Tavistock (Devon) area was caused by the actual aggregate used in making the concrete for blocks (or other castings), not any reinforcing steel. Mine waste (generally from metalliferous mines) was included in varying proportions, and some chemical constituents reactd over time, destroying the binder and basically turning the concrete back to loose aggregate, with obvious results.

Edit: search for "mundic block" to see what happens.

Last edited by Riejufixing on 21:55 - 28 Aug 2018; edited 1 time in total

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mentalboy is correct. The areas of brick walling you can see will be a standard 'brick/cavity/block wall and the roof will almost certainly have purlins beneath and above the dormer, ends sat within the inner skin. The rest of the roof construction will be rafters, lats etc like a standard roof, only in four planes rather than two.

I'd guess built about 1970 give or take...

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I understood some of those words Shifty

Aye, I'll ask Purple Bricks about it, I'm sure they won't lie to me Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:51 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Purple Bricks, this just keeps getting better. Razz

Find a different house to buy.

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 21:36 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
I had one or 2 people just deny me entry to the garage as if it's no big deal, sort of a deal breaker to me not being allowed to see part of a house I'm interested in

WTF is that all about? I'd ask them "Is the garage not for sale along with the rest of the house?"
The last place I bought was primarily based on the garage, not the actual living part. (1/2 acre, 20x50ft garage, 1600sq ft house)

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:44 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's because estate agents are stupid.

They'll be trying to hide something from you and that's the best excuse they could come up with.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:18 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one I viewed had a garage door from the outside, and on the inside it was a converted room with the door boarded off Shocked

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
Another one I viewed had a garage door from the outside, and on the inside it was a converted room with the door boarded off Shocked

This is becoming quite common, some sense occasionally applied, leaving the garage door accessing a 3-5ft deep 'shed' for the lawnmower and the kids bikes. I have seen one large enough to get a VFR 1200 in and out with a little shuffling, the rest of the garage being sectioned off to be a habitable room attached to the house.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:

This is becoming quite common, some sense occasionally applied, leaving the garage door accessing a 3-5ft deep 'shed' for the lawnmower and the kids bikes. I have seen one large enough to get a VFR 1200 in and out with a little shuffling, the rest of the garage being sectioned off to be a habitable room attached to the house.

Leaving the door on has I think the additional benefit of (effectively) doing away with planning requirements, if the work isn't noticed by or reported to the authorities for some years.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:

A mate of mine bought the three council garages at the end of his garden, knocked them through and made it into a very smart additional garden room/office. The council insisted that the three garage doors had to be stuck back on what was now a proper wall, so outwardly there was no change. (It was as scruffy as it started.) Makes no sense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:07 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
The council insisted that the three garage doors had to be stuck back on what was now a proper wall, so outwardly there was no change. (It was as scruffy as it started.) Makes no sense.

Ours not to reason why.

Just be glad that the council didn't decide to use some old rules that are bordering on prehistoric which say you're not allowed to change structures intended for men to store their horse and carts without first getting permission from the Duke of the shire and paying an amount that after being adjusted for inflation is in the hundreds of thousands of pounds.

And don't say it will never happen because the planning permission people at your local council and the Planning Inspectorate are a law unto themselves. Razz

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking at houses at the cheaper end of the market. Would like more info on construction methods to be avoided.

Trying to find one with a typical council brick shed, which would be ideal for the lathe but also need a garage. Not many garages in areas near work Sad

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
I am looking at houses at the cheaper end of the market. Would like more info on construction methods to be avoided.

Trying to find one with a typical council brick shed, which would be ideal for the lathe but also need a garage. Not many garages in areas near work Sad

First depends to some extent where you are. Where, roughly, are you?

Second might be helped if you gave some garden.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:47 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
It's a "how's it constructed" question. Their answer has to be accurate (although it could be "we don't know"). They can't legally lie, although on other questions I agree, they " may" stretch a point....

I looked at two properties a Circus Company advertised.

One still had all the people's stuff in it. The people had disappeareded. (Some Paki/Indian mafia dispute.) The kids toys were still in the rooms and the beds looked as if they left in the night. Smile

Another house was a fcuink shambles. None of the windows sealed NONE.
The pre-fab concrete panel garage was a major HSE hazard and would have to be skipped. (at buyer's expense.)

The part that one me over was where some fcuking total fcuking butcher had hacked out the plasterboard and a vertical wall joist to allow a washing machine to sit flush with the other kitchen units.
The had very kindly left the space for me.

Needless to mention, I never visited that estate agent again.

The one the Hamilton Accies had fled was not for sale when I called to check. The family had moved back in. Smile I had to visit the agent's shop for them to tell me this. Smile

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:53 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

First advice I'd give is don't think high end = well built. For example, take the flats at Harbourside, Bristol. They're effectively concrete frame and form for the structure with external walls made of a cement board and 60mm Expanded Polystyrene foam panel, topped off with some pretty coloured render. To my knowledge they don't even have fireboard linings on the inside of the compartment where they meet the exterior wall. Screw that for a game of soldiers.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 239 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2