Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Thank goodness for the eighties

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:01 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Thank goodness for the eighties Reply with quote

What are your favourite groups from the eighties?

I've been listening to Soft Cell tonight, excellent. I like the specials and a few Jam songs as well as loads of other tunes from the eighties really. My favourite is Ska-p

I also like Faithless and Morcheba

Gary Newman is a plonker.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:29 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal problems like this should be in Dear Auntie BCF Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:41 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hated the 80's. I was in secondary school from 84-89. Worst time of my life for a whole host of reasons but including
being a fat, painfully shy, awkward, geeky and child like teenager who was rubbish at pulling the birds. If only I could
go back in time and tell younger me who was having a thoroughly shit time of the 80's that what the future held would
make all this shit worthwhile and is in fact character building. Laughing Do wish I'd found my mojo a little bit sooner than
I did though... Wink Also my VERY FIRST vinyl single was Cars by Gary Numan when it was in the charts, that's 1979 to
you young spunk bubbles when it was NO1 in the charts, bought it in Woolworths with my pocket money. I saw him
perform it live many years later in 1998 at Brixton academy when Fear Factory covered the track and were including
it in their live set. Was unexpected to see Mr Numan in some MAD outfit walk onto stage during the performance
and join in. Great gig that was, was Halloween as I recall. FF played for over two hours in full skull face paint. Thumbs Up
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the day by The The
(1983)

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes bang out an 80's compilation album at work.
It's a safe bet and gives the troops a chance to have a bit of a sing song.
There are a lot of tracks that get skipped though.
Queen are my favourite group but they are really from the 70s.
I'd say ACDC did some of their better stuff in the 80s.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:57 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have any of his music but Gary Numan is far from a plonker in my book.

He went in to record a punk rock record and saw a minimoog synth in the studio. Played it and was impressed with how loud it was compared to guitars.

Made a superb single, looked weirder than those around him and sold millions. Bought old jet planes and learned to fly them, crashed them. Got himself together after mental illness and his tours are still selling out.

If it's chart music then the 80's were not brilliant. They may have had more diversity compared to recent years and they did throw up some real corkers but going out to a club without the skills of 'dance' meant awkward shuffling to Lionel bloody Richie dancing on the ceiling or bloody Duran Duran. The old 60s and 70s bands were now bloaters and getting replaced with Stock Aitken Waterman happy clappy let's all get rich by pushing this saccharine stuff down the kiddies throats and not give 2 hoots to integrity or the artistic merit...I think of the band Bros when I typed that...ironically they could play instruments but like many of that ilk they didn't write their own songs....They were grateful puppets.

Fergal Sharkey doing 'a good heart' TW@T!
Wham! TW@TS!
Madonna TW@T!
Whitney TW@T Houston. TW@T!
Europe The final countdown TW@TS!

Good music in the 80s was aplenty though.

Graceland. game changer
French Kiss....Ahh now I can dance.
The Cure
Dead Kennedys
Sticks in my throat because my sister loved them so therefore I hate them but The Smiths. (How soon is now is rather good... Shhh! )
Killing Joke
Sisters of Mercy
Most bands on 4AD records
Devo
Pretenders
Men at Work
Blancmange
The Vapous
The Birthday Party
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:14 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Don't have any of his music but Gary Numan is far from a plonker in my book.

He went in to record a punk rock record and saw a minimoog synth in the studio. Played it and was impressed with how loud it was compared to guitars.

That probably explains why I bought and liked his debut(?) album, Replicas, even though I was already a confirmed heavy rock nut by then, and hated most of the other chart fare. Guitars still played an important role in his music, and the synths had some of that same vibe.

I'd also go for The Jam, Pretenders, some Blondie, DKs, a few other bits and pieces.
And of course, there was still new blues stuff if you looked for it. SRV hit in the 80s.

Rezillos! Very Happy Or were they more a product of the late 70s?
Splodgenessabounds! Very Happy
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hated high school in the 80s. I kid you not, if they had had them then, I could've sat GCSE Maths and English when I left middle school and passed them. I learned nothing at high school, it was utter garbage, complete waste of time, full of right on lefty teachers always on strike, and control freaks with character flaws trying to bully kids.

I was geeky and awkward and I was not cool, but was relatively tough and I played rugby and a few of my mates who were also "not cool", formed not so much a gang, but a sort of collective of misfits and uncoolkids, who were too tough to be bullied, and hung around together, and as we got older, eventually running the schools black market. (I once sold the art teacher the latest 4 pirated video games for a pound)

But by the time I was 15, I probably earned more than some of the teachers did anyways. Worked 12hr shifts in my dads shop Sat and Sunday. Got up at 5.30am every day, opened the paper shop up down the road, marked all the rounds up, did my own round, then one or more of the kids that didn't turn up. Went back in the evening did another one. Had two "free paper" rounds, and did holiday cover. I would run the routes with a sack over each shoulder. folding the papers and stuffing the leaflets in as I went, I could make it pay more than £5 an hour. Non of this shuffling along, pushing a trolley at 1mile an hour.

Left with virtually no qualifications, cos it was course work based, and I didn't do any, cos I wasn't there. Passed maths, cos that was all exam based.

In fact, I think I pretty much only turned up for registration, and to sell booze and fags to the younger kids by the time I left.

My favourite 80s groups, in no particular order, were probably;

Dead Kennedys
Carter USM
Kraftwerk
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
Adam and the Ants
Madness
RUN DMC
Transvision Vamp

and a shed load of electronica and hiphop, I didn't really get into heavy metal until the early 90s

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiffany and Debbie Gibson. Yeah, cool, loved the 80's. Big hairstyles, cool toys and American TV shows. If there is a heaven, please let it be retro.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved the 80's, so much good music until it all went wrong when Stock Aiken and Waterman turned up and destroyed the pop charts..

Gary Numan was one of my favorites from the era, thanks to a Girl I knew at school.. (now deceased) I was given a copy of Living Ornaments 1979 and 1980 which was only available to the fan club at the time so this girl really liked me enough to give me fan club only material. I later bought all 3 on CD along with all the other albums.

Kraftwerk really fucked me off in 1986 (i think) when Electric Cafe was released, it was only 30 minutes long and was ment to be called Techno pop plus was suppose to feature the single Tour de France....

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:01 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
Loved the 80's, so much good music until it all went wrong when Stock Aiken and Waterman turned up and destroyed the pop charts..

In what way did they destroy the charts?

They always get accused of producing formulaic records, but that's what recording artists dream of - find a formula that people like, then develop it in such a way that the fans keep liking it and keep buying the records.

All SAW did was find winning formulae, then exploit them on a grand scale; you don't get much more diverse than Divine's 'You Think You're A Man' and Kylie & Jason's 'Especially For You' but SAW were responsible for both.

Motown are revered in the world of pop producers, but they did exactly the same thing as SAW.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:55 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motown was a factory but at least the workers had skills to back up the great product.

I admit SAW are an easy target, yes like other impresarios have done before they gave the public what they wanted, however I think for music to continue to evolve you need to give the public what you think they need and that doesn't mean 9-5 muzak.

The wiki entry makes me ill. Laughing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_produced_by_Stock_Aitken_Waterman

Bill Tarmey
Sonia
Boy Krazy
Big Fun

are you stimulated are you excited

The Charts have been bent since the day 'someone' went in and bought all their copies back and stored them then resold them if/when the song took off.
Or when a plugger was friend$ with a radio scheduler/producer/dj.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:10 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

Carter USM

Would definitely not class these as an '80s band. Signed to Rough Trade in the early '90s, and didn't really do much at all prior to that. I hated the band very much - but remember both them, and the era they were most active, quite well.

Quote:
Adam and the Ants

It was all over for them by winter 1981.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:14 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:16 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
for music to continue to evolve

Great music doesn't need to evolve. Great music is timeless.
And even great music occasionally makes it into the charts.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:39 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the 80's for pop music. The best decade for pop, if you ask me. I really enjoy listening to:

Hall & Oates
Kate Bush
Adam and the Ants
Ultravox

But then the cheesey power-ballads aswell:

John Farnham
Pat Benatar
Stan Bush
Kenny Loggins
John Parr
Bill Conti

Man, this list could go on-and-on. It's a pity that every decade after the 80s absolutely sucks for all-out pop.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:09 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a massive soft spot for Level 42...

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:13 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole "soundtrack of my life" is fantastically varied. But asking me about the 80s specifically seems to draw a blank.

I seemed to have "left music behind" for quite a while, despite being properly into it in the 70s and again now, in the last 15 years or so.

I mostly started my 80s with NZ rock band hangovers from the 70s: Split Enz and Hello Sailor. True Colours was an awesome album, I especially liked the songs Shark Attack and Poor Boy. Hello Sailor pretty much died out after 1980 anyway. And I was quite into soft American rock: Chicago, Eagles, that sort of shit.

But I wasn't passionate about anybody much in the 80s and just listened to chart stuff I suppose, favourites being:

Blondie
Madness Wub
Bowie
Queen: I still liked Queen - but I didn't think much of their 80s, I thought their 70s was much more interesting - and I didn't rate many of their albums beyond News of the World anyway, but most people who think the sun shines out of their arse only really remembers the 80s Queen power tracks. I am not a fan of We Are the Champions et al, I find it boring. Much prefer Seven Seas of Rhye.

I was mostly underwhelmed by 80s music in general, but of a bad bunch of chart stuff, I suppose I liked Madonna, Michael Jackson, Wham and Duran Duran, but it wasn't formative, so it didn't really engender the same passion that early Queen or Rick Wakeman had.

I seem to like experimental or unusual music, and I'm certainly returning to that now. Somebody linked me to a band called Die Antwoord a few days ago, and I am like WHAAAAAAAT ... outstandingly weird. I'm looking forward to exploring them.

So for quite a while because of 80s/90s music, I gave up being engaged with music, only slightly connected to the charts and was variously interested in a lot of American stuff, JJ Cale, Frank Zappa, etc, always with the Rolling Stones or Bowie meandering through. I discovered Warren Zevon much later on (late 1990s) but I appreciated that his best period was probably in the 1980s.

I vaguely remember my then-husband inflicting quite a lot of roots-rock-reggae sorta shit on me, due to him being a huge stoner (and I wasn't, if you can believe that!)

Don't remember much else. I despise that my younger sister is one of those awful women who only listens to Radio Gold sort of tracks and doesn't rate anybody beyond 1985. Old fart Rolling Eyes

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Me too.

Big Jock
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:32 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was born in 1980 so the music mostly passed me by which is probably why I think its all mince.

Why the hell did they think electric drums sounded better than the real thing?

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Me too, along with Shakatak specifically, but pretty much any jazz funk outfit generally.

I did think Level 42 went a bit too commercial later on, but the early stuff (expecially '43' and 'Heathrow') was magnificent.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Jock wrote:
I was born in 1980 so the music mostly passed me by which is probably why I think its all mince.

Why the hell did they think electric drums sounded better than the real thing?

It's all about context, at the time synth and electronic music were more or less a new thing and you could make a saleable recording in your bedroom with a keyboard.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 232 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2