Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Are streetbikes dangerous in highways? solved

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Blazerdolf
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:13 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Are streetbikes dangerous in highways? solved Reply with quote

Hi,

I havent got a license to ride, and I do like superbike looks, but I feel I would prefer streetbike looks as first bike because I wouldnt feel so bad if I would drop.

However, I would be happy to use on highways and Ive read no windshield and no fairings can make big impact by wind. So.. is it?

At the moment I am curious on yamaha r3 vs yamaha mt-03 that both look great. And similar price and specs.. Are street bikes bad in high speeds or longer traveling?

thanks!

For quicklook pics here:
[url="https://cdn.yamaha-motor.eu/product_assets/2018/yzf-r320/950-75/2018-yamaha-yzf-r3-eu-yamaha-blue-static-001.jpg"]r3[/url]

[url="https://cdn.yamaha-motor.eu/product_assets/2018/mt320/950-75/2018-yamaha-mt-03-eu-yamaha-blue-studio-001.jpg"]mt-03[/url]

Last edited by Blazerdolf on 16:56 - 29 Aug 2018; edited 1 time in total

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will probably survive.
Unless you hit something or lose control which would not end well regardless of small bit of plastic.

You tend to get used to whatever you have, a bike like that is perfectly suitable for long journeys.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:47 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a big issue at the speeds you'll be doing on an MT03. The little fly screen will take a lot of the wind blast off your chest anyway.

Riding position will make much more difference to your long distance comfort. Sit on both but I'd imagine the R3 will feel a lot more cramped for most people.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Are streetbikes dangerous in highways? Reply with quote

Blazerdolf wrote:
Hi,

I'm interested by your writing. Are you an American person, from the USA?

Blazerdolf
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:55 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Are streetbikes dangerous in highways? Reply with quote

Thanks, I will think it as a no big deal then, I guess topic can be solved.

Riejufixing wrote:
Blazerdolf wrote:
Hi,

I'm interested by your writing. Are you an American person, from the USA?

No, not from usa. I see there are plenty wide roads there, if I was there I would get r3 mostly..

I live in crappy small country that doesnt have lane-splitting and somewhat narrow roads but it should be fun for a bike here.. Less traffic..

Why you think im from usa? Is that suppose to be an insult.. Rolling Eyes

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Are streetbikes dangerous in highways? Reply with quote

Blazerdolf wrote:

I live in crappy small country that doesnt have lane-splitting and somewhat narrow roads but it should be fun for a bike here.. Less traffic..

1) Where? What's "lane splitting"?

2) No, it was just a question. My bad guess.

Last edited by Riejufixing on 21:29 - 29 Aug 2018; edited 1 time in total

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:59 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just day where you're from rather than get defensive?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Are streetbikes dangerous in highways? Reply with quote

Blazerdolf wrote:

Streetbike instead of bike/naked
Highway instead of motorway
Lane splitting instead of filtering

All common terms used in the USA. It wasn't an insult, it was a genuine query that I was also wondering about.

Sportsbikes are not particularly comfortable if you are going to be doing long distances and when travelling at speed you may still get wind buffeting unless you are short enough to tuck in behind the screen. They look good (in my opinion) but fairings are expensive to fix or replace.

Naked bikes like the MT-03 offer less wind protection but you can fit aftermarket screens to make them better. The more upright position will be more comfortable for longer riding. They tend to have less expensive bodywork so might survive a slide a little better.

Whatever you choose, you will customise it to suit your needs. I ride a sportsbike and have a gel seat and double bubble screen so don't suffer too much, I also have crash bungs and bobbins to protect most of the plastics should it slide down the road.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also:

license (licence)
windshield (windscreen or flyscreen)
traveling (travelling)

Still didn't mean to insult the fellow, though.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 21:50 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Are streetbikes dangerous in highways? solved Reply with quote

Blazerdolf wrote:
I havent got a license to ride

Right, well THERE is your starting point, and anything beyond helping you sort that little niggle is entirely accademic... so go sort, come back when you have a licence that will let you ride anything.

Where you live, DOES also have rather large relevence to the question; and you have been defensive and STILL not answered, whilst repeating very very inaccurate and nebulouse Americanisms's.

Blazerdolf wrote:
I do like superbike looks, but I feel I would prefer streetbike looks

Here you use americanism's that tell us the sum-total of eff-all.

https://superbikeuniverse.com/images/bikes/257.jpg

That is a 1983 Kawasaki GPz1100 'Lawson Replica' Superbike... because it's over 500cc and has more than two cylinders, and was available over the counter as a 'street-legal' production motorcycle, so met the regulations for then 'Super-Bike' class 'production' bike racing.

Blazerdolf wrote:
I am curious on yamaha r3 vs yamaha mt-03

This is a little more specific. R3 and MT03 are still both 'street-bikes'. They are both designed and built for sale to the general public for use on the public highway, and as such meet the relevent Construction & Use regulations to so be used 'On the Street'.

The R3, is best described as a 'sports' bike, with competition track-bike inspired fairings and styling, the MT03, is best describes as a 'Naked', lacking such styling, designed as a more all-round coimmuter motorcycle, except that describing it as a a 'commuter' would imply 'boring' and 'budget' and make it less atractive in the sales brochure.

Otherwise they remain BOTH 'street' bikes, designed to comply with regulations to let them be used 'on the public road' or street.

A-N-D we are back to top, FIRST thing you need is a LICENCE... and depending on where you live, will depend the answers we might offer to that little problem.

AFTER that; MT03 and R3, are both reasonabe 'beginners' bikes and A2 licence eligible... if you can obtain an A2 licence.

Fairings on an R3 are expensive to replace, but if you have learned to ride and got a licence, no real reason you should brake them for that to be an issue, and dropping an MT03 would likely leve you with as many problems as dropping an R3.... like why did you drop either in the first place, and letting broken bones mend....

R3 is critaisised for not really being as sporty as many may hope, it's not a full on race-replica like other, larger sports-bikes, or as powerful, it IS more an every-day commuter bike in sporty suit.

MT03, is oft aplauded for being far more exiting than its looks suggest, by dint of NOT having that plastic to hint at race-track like performance, giving people aspirations, in excess of the bikes abilities to fulfill them.

MT03 is generally a more sensible more versatile all-round motorycle, that lacking the compromises inspired by styling, offer a lot more all round 'fun', and is probably a very useful first big bike on the back of that, letting an owner sample a wider range of what they might do with a bike, from commuting, through back-lane scratching, on to touring, withyout so many compromises begged by the R3's race-replica plastic styling...

But question of dropping one, would NOT be top of my list of buying considerations.... Get trained, learn to ride, get a licence, you SHOULDN'T drop the damn thing, and if you do... lack of plastic on an MT03 vs R3 is crying over spilled milk... that aint been spilled yet! If you are a nutter you gonna crash, if not, probably not, and if you do, its gonna mean pain and hassle and cost either way.... so....

LEARN NOT TO CRASH!

Question dont matter, really! Which is most comfy? Which is more practical? Which is more Useful? Which is more FUN... for YOU in the use YOU put it too... and dont ask us! We dont have to ride the effin thing!

You by the time this is an issue, is qualified rider, you go make your own decissions.. like whether to sl;ow down past a T-Junction with a SMIDSY Sitting in it, or over take on the brow of a hill with a blind bend... all rather more important, potentially life threatening and expensive than what bike would be best to buy.... when here and now you cant ride a damn thing......

SO....

WHERE do you live? Licence system is very different to the US or Australia, and even to other EU durastictions. It IS pertinant, so effin tell us and stoip being so defensive.

THEN, go get a licence... till you have one, what bike makes no odds, its the last thing on the list of stuff you need. And again, want help on that topic, we NEED to know where you live; no good giving you advice on how to get a UK Driving licence if you live in Istanbul, is there?

So, IF you want advice, backl up,l start again, answer our questions and let us help us help you, OR eff-off, do what you like, and learn by your mistakes... THAT is pretty much the long and the short of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Blazerdolf
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:53 - 30 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Are streetbikes dangerous in highways? Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
Blazerdolf wrote:

Streetbike instead of bike/naked
Highway instead of motorway
Lane splitting instead of filtering

All common terms used in the USA. It wasn't an insult, it was a genuine query that I was also wondering about.

ha ha ha.. oh that.. thanks!

I found some cool bikers or vlogers on youtube, seems they were driving in wonderful places and that caught my attention.. Heck.. Youtube is what even suggested me about bikes in the first place... I wouldnt have even considered that at all.

lane-splitting - lane-filterring I thought they were somewhat different with caviats..
Street bikes sounds cool, but it seems they are more than capable on high speeds. thanks
As for highways and motorways I am not native speaker but thought highways = 130kmps motorways =110kmps.. at least those roads are in my country with speed limits..

Thanks for advices!

I can get A license immediatly (typo) since im over 24years old.

I live in Lithuania - its near "mother russia" which tried to eat our country whole few decades ago Razz
Our country doesnt even have kawasaki dealership which is mindblowingly sad.. Sad

p.s. hope I didnt went too much of topic.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 30 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Are streetbikes dangerous in highways? Reply with quote

Blazerdolf wrote:

No, not from usa. I see there are plenty wide roads there, if I was there I would get r3 mostly..

because the links were slightly broken, and the english was written in a slightly non-typical way from the majority of forum dwellers, we suspected you might be a spambot, so we normally ask a question and see if we get a proper response Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 30 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of reasons why country matters.

If I lived in the Scottish highlands for example, where it's likely to be very windy, a fairing may be more useful. I also wouldn't want to be riding an r6 around Vietnam/India where roads are meant to be too good.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 30 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how and where you ride
Town city riding is relatively slow so no fairing or screen won't be as tiring as longer faster rides on the greitkelis
(that's yer actual Latvian for motorway)
where at least a screen can help deflect air pushing you off the back of the bike.
On motorways/highways/greitkelis
A small screen is sometimes little advantage though as it can deflect air/wind
away from your body into your helmet and the increased noise
around your head is worse.

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:07 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:

(that's yer actual Latvian for motorway)

He's Lithuanian. Latvia is a different country. 😉

Regarding the fairing on the highways, it also depends whether you want to ride it longer in to the winter. That's when you'll really start to feel cold. I think you get some proper winter snow in Lithuania so you will probably need to retire it for a couple of months regardless.

Do your test, get a demo ride on a few bikes, then decide.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops sorry
Yep, Latvia's next door innit? I wuz close tho!

I expect it's a bit like calling Scotsman English.
No one ever gets offended by that do they?

Blazerdolf
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:05 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Oops sorry

I expect it's a bit like calling Scotsman English.
No one ever gets offended by that do they?

Yeah Latvians are our bros! Many words very similar Smile

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazerdolf wrote:
WD Forte wrote:
Oops sorry

Include Estonia too and then you're really talking complete Baltics.

Blazerdolf
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:11 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Blazerdolf wrote:

Include Estonia too and then you're really talking complete Baltics.

Yeah I remember my parents were in Baltic way.. Smile Maybe if I get a Bike I would go visit estonia myself. With a car its just.. nah... why bother.. Smile

Not sure if its fuel or what, but car makes me lazy..

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:23 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about it. Before i learned to ride I used to think looking over mt shoulder would be a problem. I thought I would lose balance for some reason. I was wrong.

Teutberga
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:04 - 08 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will survive lol and get a license of ride and street bikes are really good dont go over look
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:50 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A screen is nice when it's wet/cold as it slows dow nthe air and deflects most of the water hiting your chest. Even in waterproofs geting covered in cold water gets you cold fast.

A full-upright cruiser riding position is not particularly comfortable over 60mph for long periods. Kept my license intact though.

A naked is a bit better as you're leant forward a bit but there's still a big deterrent to doing stupid speeds.

A faired or half faired roadster or anything a bit leaning forward with a screen is as comfortable as as it gets at motorway speeds and you can tuck in behind the screen for pose or naughty/autobahn speeds.

Sportsbike or sport-tourer with clip-ons? 70mph on a straight road will feel slow and instaban/jailtime speeds will happen before it occours to you to even tuck in unless you ride around town chin-on-tank like a poser.

If bike is for fun, get a naked and an MRA screen for foul weather and long trips. If bike is is for daily commute consider something with a similar riding position but with a permanent screen and fairing.

In some cases, particularly older bikes, faired versions can have better headlights. A single h4 in a classic round chromed light housing is not particularly impressive. Dual projectors or separate dip and main lights are much better. A dip and main on each side is winning.
SandDMotorcyc... This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spend long on the interstate with a naked bike and you'll develop strong neck muscles. Other than that don't ride in a hurricane and you'll be fine.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:54 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

SandDMotorcycles wrote:
Street bikes are good for long rides. Fully faired bikes are usually race track bikes designed and optimised for performance and aerodynamics. With street bikes you can easily go through narrow roads. Things like wind protection and wind noise are not big deals.

Thanks for the advanced lesson in the blatantly obvious, I can see you have had some college.
But... You wouldn't be yet another forum spamming twat would you? I'll give you a spam rating anyway, just to be sure.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 176 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2