Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Welcome to the UK policing system.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:03 - 30 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the boat story isn't about how they stopped you whilst you were riding your motorcycle, I'm not interested Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Thelostone
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:07 - 30 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boat Story

1982, Argentina had invaded the Falklands and the taskforce was being readied at Devonport dockyard in Plymouth.

My family had a boat moored on the other side of the river and I decided to row across for a better look.

Turns out that during wartime the navy get suspicious of 16yo school boys getting too close to their ships.

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 16:18 - 30 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelostone wrote:
And finally, I bet I'm the only person on this forum that has been stopped by:
policeman on foot,
policeman on a horse,
police motorcyclist,
police car,
police boat,
police helicopter.

I've had Cars, Motorcyclists, and Foot. But foot doesn't count because I outran both of the slow unfit fucks and hid in an abandoned house until they lied that they had a dog unit and I didn't fancy getting my leg chewed up when it found me Thumbs Up

Plus they caught my other two slow friends so I gave myself up out of loyalty to them lol.

Tangent: Nothing came of that anyway, we didn't know they were police so we legged it out of instinct. All we saw was two torches coming round a corner and "OI, STOP". We were fucking about in an abandoned area at night when we were about 17 and bored, and didn't realise we were trespassing. A concerned person called it in apparently when they spotted us moving around out there.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:54 - 30 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus, I could be here all night boring you with anecdotes.

Suffice to say that I eventually added reverend to my licence just to take the heat off..

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 30 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of "interactions", but I'm not exactly known for being polite and doffing my cap. By and large, "old school" coppers were decent enough, newer ones get knickers bunched up about nothing, with one or two exceptions.

None of them like it if you know you're right, stand your ground and have the audacity to tell them they're wrong.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 30 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
On my Ninja 300 years ago I was pulled while cruising at 20 in a 30.

Officer told me it was cause I had one hand on the steering wheel.

Took my licence, insurance, went to his car. An eternity later he comes back and says in a very condescending manner that he'll give me a warning and that I need to stay safe because if I hit a bump with only one hand on the steering wheel I could lose control.

Since then I've gone over plenty of potholes with one or no hands at much higher speeds than that and nothing's ever happened.

Protip: Don't take your hands off the steering wheel when riding a motorcycle....

Reminds me of one of my ex's dad..... he came off his bike and fucked his hand up.... when he was in hospital the doctor asked if he had been wearing his seatbelt Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I've had a fair few run ins over the years, I've always been honest and when I started riding polite.... and never had much hassle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 30 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Suffice to say that I eventually added reverend to my licence just to take the heat off..

Laughing
Rev the Bastard.
Thumbs Up

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 30 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asshole cop:
I got pulled over by an unmarked BMW that had been tailgating me through a sleepy village just off the M6 on the way back from blackpool. Didn't like the fact that I went around a corner on the wrong side of the road just into the NSL and hadn't spotted the diesel rainbow i was avoiding. Peeved plod then demanded my paperwork, and was even more peved that I had a photocopy of my 33bhp restriction cert. He then tried to check everything on the bike until his partner pulled him off.

Competent cop:
Also got pulled by local plod traffic car for riding my bike in a shark loaner helmet and leather jacket in the rain, because thought it wasn't me on bike. Used to seeing me and one of my friends riding back late on a monday night to the point where I'm convinced he lurks on one of our possible routes hoping to catch us being naughty, and remebered me asking if it was ok to use the busses-only bridge when he was closing off the main bridge due to an incident, mostly becasue he thought i was being funny when he asked what I was doing out so late in really awful weather and I replied "playing dungeons and dragons"...

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 30 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only stopped once. I don't actually think I was speeding (much) and I'd even seen the police car approaching the roundabout as I exited onto the dual carriageway. I gave it the usual beans but acceleration isn't speeding. I reckon the racing green and the Haga rep lid gave the wrong impression. Half a mile later I realised the blue lights were for me so I raised a hand in acknowledgement, indicated in plenty of time and pulled in to a small turning I knew. They overshot. Poor obs. Anyhow, they used a couple of gaps in the central reservation to come back. To cut a long story short the cliches are true ("Do you know why we stopped you? I was a biker too. Had to do 90 to catch you." I banked that last one), and it wasn't clear how this was going to go. The non-driver seemed keen to spoil my day but then they got called to another 'job', so, er... nothing happened.
Cool story bro?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:08 - 30 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Laughing
Rev the Bastard.
Thumbs Up

Did I ever tell you about the time I landed in a copper's front garden?

https://i.imgur.com/AImmWIv.jpg

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:58 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, apart from the many times on the KMX125, hardly ever

got ticked off for speeding on a Honda CD200, and sent on my way

got really ticked off for no having a crash helmet on on a Honda CD200 at bicycle speeds in the back of beyond, by a lady cop, it was worse than being told off by my mum - and just given a producer

got the book thrown at me by a traffic cop for speeding on Honda CD200 - showing him a 15 minute old producer with the ink still wet when he asked if I had any id probably not the best idea Laughing

then nothing for about 20 years, stopped and a friendly warning about spilled diesel ahead

giving the wife a lift on the XR250 without passenger pegs - those kittens Rolling Eyes he resorted to looking my bike up on wikipedia on his smartphone, cos he was convinced it wasn't a road bike, jsmall fine

small number plate on the beta, let me off just said to get it fixed

and when I'm out green laning i get stopped occasionally, but they only want to know if I've seen xyz - usually looking for hare coursers

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a rubbish day yesterday and now coming to this it's hilarious! Kind of a mixture of education and flicking wasps nests..

The early incident I first spoke of was a start. The local plod didn't have much else to do and were easily agitated. I decided with a mate one day (he had a fizzy) that we'd have a year long competition. Whoever got the most producers in a year (HORT1 forms - Horties) would be entitled to a free beer night at a local pub. I managed 54 Horties and my mate got 56. We'd get them by simply looking at police cars as we pass - obviously we were simply looking in our mirrors...

I absolutely agree about old timer cops. They're cool and really not after brownie points. My worst experiences were with female cops. In my teens there was a local female traffic cop and she was nasty.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:40 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Welcome to the UK policing system. Reply with quote

Fourte wrote:
I've a stack of similar stories. Anyone have similar run ins??

Nope, not been stopped since 1990 and I was doing 97mph at the time...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:54 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this thread about when coppers used to pull you over, I find myself reminiscing about "the good old days", when it wasn't just a case of impersonal and anonymous speed cameras resulting in nasty demands for money through the post. I think I need help Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:57 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impersonal cameras are a sad part of modern life and imho a great way for the authorities to make money and enforce us all to be subservient.

We are supposed to live in a better educated and more enlightened society, then why do plod behave so arrogant/rude and condescending when they stop people?
Plod were all of the above in the past and they still are now imho.
I think it’s in the culture of their job.

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:23 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
He then tried to check everything on the bike until his partner pulled him off.

Conclusive proof that pent-up sexual frustration can cause you to turn into a jobsworth ... Laughing

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:29 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir. Angelic

This is without a doubt the best thing I use when I am pulled over. must have been blue lighted around 25 times in different vehicles, for different offenses.

Act sheepish and apologetic (or be sincere if you actually are!)

So far ive only ever been given points once off a copper, rest of the time it was a telling off or a seciton 32. which tbh are full of shite cos i got 2 section 32's in the space of 2 weeks and nothing happened... i think they just like to scaremonger you..

oh and the best defence is not to drive/ride a loud chav car/bike.

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:31 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled over once when a teenager when in my crappy car (best up Austin Maestro!). Was heading home from then girlfriend's house in early hours of morn, bombing through down, roads dead not a soul anyway. Then blue lights appeared, yeah fair cop was going a bit quick and roads were a bit damp. Checked my license over, asked if I'd been drinking, didn't even breathalyse me, told me to slow down then sent me on way.

Second time, few years ago on Fazer ride out, all got pulled into layby for the whole BikeSafe promotion thing. Had a friendly chat, gave us all coffee and bacon butties and sent us on way. Fair play we thought. Then one copper followed us for about 5 mile before pulling one of us over for having a dirty number plate... Shocked Made him clean it and then sent us on way. WTF?! We'd just spent 20 minutes having coffee with 'um discussing and admiring our bikes - go figure!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acting thick or agreeing to things definitely helped back then.
I once got an interesting lecture. Basically I was doing 78 through a 30 (yeah stoopid) and was headed home. Blue lights and a traffic car. Old timer cop and young frustrated male cop. Old cop actually said "If you can give me a good reason for speeding I'll let you off". I told him my tea was on!
They ended chatting for half an hour and I acted thick. Gave me loads of bike maintenance advice (bike was fine) and off I went without points or fine. My tea was cold when I got home.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:29 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel boring now. Been driving ten years, riding for seven and I’ve never been pulled once!
I’ve been doing increasingly silly things to get through traffic on the way home from work too, but it’s Bradford so I’m still displaying above average adherence to the Highway Code.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:48 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
I feel boring now. Been driving ten years, riding for seven and I’ve never been pulled once!

I shouldn't worry. It's one of those things that was a pain when it happened, but might be funny in retrospect. Just another cool story, bro.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:50 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

got stopped on a piaggio zip three times in two weeks

apparently a local drug dealer was using one the same colour to deliver his wares

they thought it was me

twice by the same copper Laughing

and once on the m5 by an unmarked bmw for doing what I thought was 112mph but turned out to be 102

as it was quiet they let me go again Laughing

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:59 - 02 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've ever been stopped unreasonably in nearly fifty years of driving and riding. Sometimes the attitude of the plod was a bit much to take, but I was generally in the wrong if I was stopped. The funniest one was when I was a lad in 1970 and was a student in London and I was riding my James 150cc two stroke home to Newcastle. For some insane reason, I couldn't sleep with teh excitement of this journey and so I got up at 11 o clock at night, unable to wait until morning and set off with a suitcase strapped on the back and started the 280 mile ride in the dark with a 6V direct lighting system. I was on L plates, so as I made my way up the A1 in teh dead of night, I had to divert off the A1M somewhere like Grantham or maybe Stevenage and find my way on the ordinary roads. Going through some built up area in the dead of night with a case loaded on the back, an old panda car - maybe a Hilman Imp, came up and blue lighted me and I stopped at the side of the road.

"What are you up to Laddy?" says one of the officers.
"I'm going home from college?" says I.
Plod looks at his watch.
"Working late at the library, were you?"
"No - it is the end of term and I am going home to Newcastle."
Look of amazement. It is after all about two o clock in the morning.
"What have you got in that case?"
"Dirty clothes and stuff".

At this, they insisted in seeing what was in the case so we untied it and started rummaging through a pile of old clothes and junk that I somehow needed in my life back then.

After this, they were quite solicitous for my wellbeing about riding in the dark hundreds of miles on a 5hp 1950s two stroke. They sent me on my way with warnings to take care and be safe.

It was a perfectly reasonable stop. I could easily have been a villain transporting the proceeds of a burglary back home.

I got home a little before ten in the morning. I must have been on the road for ten or eleven hours. My eyes felt like I had sand under the lids, but I felt like an explorer.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:48 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony1951 wrote:
I was riding my James 150cc two stroke.
started the 280 mile ride in the dark with a 6V direct lighting system. I was on L plates, so as I made my way up the A1 in teh dead of night, I had to divert off the A1M somewhere like Grantham or maybe Stevenage and find my way on the ordinary roads hundreds of miles on a 5hp 1950s two stroke.
I must have been on the road for ten or eleven hours. I felt like an explorer.

You didn’t realise it at the time but you was a riding God Smile Thumbs Up

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't been pulled over yet in my 4 years of 'riding like a lunatic'.

Closest I've come is driving a car I wasn't insured in back from a night out in the early hours of the morning. I drove a long journey back really carefully since it wasn't my car and I didn't know how much (if any) alcohol was in my system. That was until I pulled off a roundabout and thought I'd finally give it some beans.

I put my foot down until just a tad over the limit then let off, looking in my mirrors there was a bloody unmarked car with its lights on. I just carried on at the limit thinking it was all over but the car overtook and carried on.

I later passed a lot of police cars in the city, it turns out there had been a murder and they were going to that.

This one was more me just being paranoid more than anything else, I checked my mirrors before the roundabout and accelerating when there wasn't anything there, I also keep a beady eye out for potential police cars.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 206 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4