Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How to fill with petrol using app when on a bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:24 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: How to fill with petrol using app when on a bike? Reply with quote

I heard a voice today. Really strong one on the petrol station.

I was using my BPme app to unlock the petrol pump and pay for my fuel.

Then I heard a strong voice: "Oi the guy on pump 4 please don't use mobile phone when on the pump!"

How the actual foc is supposed correctly to use apps to pay for your petrol?

I mean the app is provided by the petrol station vendor BP. It detects via GPS the location of the petrol station and asks you to enter the pump number. Then unlocks the pump so that you can fill. After you finish it makes an automated payment. You get on your bike and off you go. No need to go inside or fiddle with cards or cash.

The question I have is how it is suppsed to use your mobile phone and the said app if they don't allow you to use it on the petrol station??

Seriously how? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:55 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blame brexit Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 07:00 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikers aren't, you're supposed to do it while sat in your car.

Discrimination of the highest order, I think we need a petition or a riot or something. Mad

Personally I just try and use stations with pay at pump unless I'm really stuck.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 08:09 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why didn't you go in and ask them?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:19 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay by card like an adult instead of using your phone for everything like a 17 year old girl does. A fucking app for
putting fuel in??? FFS. How didn't I spot this yawning chasm of need in my life, I've clearly been filling up for the
last 30 years in a wholly inefficient manner. Besides, how the fuck are you supposed to pocket a mars bar if you don't
queue to pay?. That's why they put them there. You have the best conversations in petrol stations, one of my favourites
went like this.

Quote:
"Paying by card mate?"

"Yeah."

"Nice one. Put in your number when you're ready."

"Cheers. Bye"

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:21 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I question the wisdom of maintaining a ban on forecourt use of mobile phones and using mobile phones as a payment mechanism. I suggest the embracing of the latter reduces the ban to an outdated absurdity.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:27 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I question the need to over complicate dispensing pre measured liquid into a properly constructed container and
performing a one touch transaction with a payment card. Is there an app for buying a fucking pint? It's exactly the same
transaction. And yet still people queue at the bar in pubs up and down the land like the sad techless losers they are. Rolling Eyes

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:53 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I question the need to over complicate dispensing pre measured liquid into a properly constructed container and
performing a one touch transaction with a payment card. Is there an app for buying a fucking pint? It's exactly the same
transaction. And yet still people queue at the bar in pubs up and down the land like the sad techless losers they are. Rolling Eyes

can you develop one

would save a lot of time in my local Very Happy

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:18 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably saw you for the lefty unpatriotic foreign tosspot you are and thought they’d have a laugh at your expense.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:23 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
And yet still people queue at the bar in pubs up and down the land like the sad techless losers they are. Rolling Eyes

That annoys me. The landlord or barman should know who's first.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:43 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
You have the best conversations in petrol stations, one of my favourites
went like this.

Quote:
"Paying by card mate?"

"Yeah."

"Nice one. Put in your number when you're ready."

"Cheers. Bye"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9DPV4-lpbo

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucks sake, it was categorically proven years ago that using a mobile phone on a petrol forecourt has absolutely zero chance of anything bad happening.

I remember Mythbusters did an episode on it and try as they might it was impossible to get it to ignite petrol fumes unless they specifically jerry rigged it to do so.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:11 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Is there an app for buying a fucking pint?

There is indeed.

By using the Wetherspoon’s app you don't have to leave your seat as you can order and pay for your pint without any human interaction and it gets delivered to your table.

If you tell people which Wetherspoon’s you're at and your table number then your kind generous friends who made some crappy excuses for not going to the pub tonight can still get a round in.

Or you can ask the internet to send you some free beer: https://metro.co.uk/2017/09/21/mans-request-for-birthday-drinks-at-wetherspoons-backfires-when-strangers-send-him-milk-and-fruit-shoots-6944539/

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:12 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
Fucks sake, it was categorically proven years ago that using a mobile phone on a petrol forecourt has absolutely zero chance of anything bad happening.

I remember Mythbusters did an episode on it and try as they might it was impossible to get it to ignite petrol fumes unless they specifically jerry rigged it to do so.

Not the point. In todays H&S mad society everything electrical on the forecourt has to be intrinsically safe. It's another way of making a fortune out of safety. Rolling Eyes

We had Motorola hand held radios on ship that were only intrinsically safe if the leather cover was on and torches that were less well made than a Maglite but had passed the (very) expensive tests.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:20 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny I just checked my app called "Scuzzy chain pubs I wouldn't be seen dead in" and there was
Wetherspoons right at the top of the list. Pubs are supposed to have character, not apps. 0/10 for pub appeal,
but 10/10 at least for getting behind Brexit. Laughing My favourite pubs landlady keeps me back some leftover meats
from their Sunday dinner custom and hands it to me on a Monday all wrapped up for my dog. A big bag of bits of
pork and beef usually. The dog is as welcome and as well known in there as I am, ALL of the staff have absolutely fallen
in love with my Gracie. Plus I know I could walk in there with not a penny in my pocket and they would gladly
feed me and water me on just the promise of payment. Proper boozer. Local pubs for Local people Val, Geddit?

Last edited by grr666 on 10:37 - 01 Sep 2018; edited 2 times in total

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
grr666 wrote:

There is indeed.

By using the Wetherspoon’s app you don't have to leave your seat as you can order and pay for your pint without any human interaction and it gets delivered to your table.

Ye Gods! Sitting at a table to drink beer? PAH!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:27 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an app to send Val home?

Ste for Grand Vizier.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot see anywhere in the regulations mobile phones being prohibited, it's just a policy that petrol stations have I think.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2014/1637/made

Probably at some point in the past, equipment could theoretically interfere with pumps, and result in the customer not paying enough, rather than any safety element.

Seems to be a silly situation ban phone on pumps and have an app on phones to pay at pump.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:10 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone should go and bitch at BP on the twitters and facebook.

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:14 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
grr666 wrote:

There is indeed.

How do you buy the drinks that don’t appear on the app?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:17 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
That's funny I just checked my app called "Scuzzy chain pubs I wouldn't be seen dead in" and there was
Wetherspoons right at the top of the list. Pubs are supposed to have character, not apps. 0/10 for pub appeal,
but 10/10 at least for getting behind Brexit. Laughing My favourite pubs landlady keeps me back some leftover meats
from their Sunday dinner custom and hands it to me on a Monday all wrapped up for my dog. A big bag of bits of
pork and beef usually. The dog is as welcome and as well known in there as I am, ALL of the staff have absolutely fallen
in love with my Gracie. Plus I know I could walk in there with not a penny in my pocket and they would gladly
feed me and water me on just the promise of payment. Proper boozer. Local pubs for Local people Val, Geddit?

Them funny foreigners don't understand pubs mate. They do the sitting on the pavement inhaling all that good old car exhaust fumes and call it cafe culture. Rolling Eyes

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:23 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
I cannot see anywhere in the regulations mobile phones being prohibited, it's just a policy that petrol stations have I think.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2014/1637/made

Probably at some point in the past, equipment could theoretically interfere with pumps, and result in the customer not paying enough, rather than any safety element.

Seems to be a silly situation ban phone on pumps and have an app on phones to pay at pump.

In the same way CB radio was banned from forecourts by the stations and not by the law....

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:07 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triton Thrasher wrote:
How do you buy the drinks that don’t appear on the app?

First you offer to meet them anywhere and then you ask them where do they want to meet.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:14 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the basis that some petrol station people get unhappy about riders not removing lids and not getting off bikes, it is understandable why some staff will get very unhappy if you're using your smartphone as well. Laughing

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
Probably saw you for the lefty unpatriotic foreign tosspot you are and thought they’d have a laugh at your expense.

I use a lot that station with my car too and it was the same lady that smiles to me every time, so my educated guess is she fancy me and wanted to get me in...the petrol station Embarassed
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 238 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3