Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Shed/garage alarm

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:10 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Shed/garage alarm Reply with quote

Hi all

Have a garage which isn't attached to mains and was thinking of sticking one of those portable alarms in, few friends have used the aldi one with success but seems very cheap. Any other recommendations

https://www.aldi.co.uk/home-protector-shed-security-alarm/p/078998160800900

Cheers
Dom

Wheezybiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:49 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a remote doorbell
Movement is detected and it activates a sounder in the house can be set low or high
I have found them very effective
20-30 quid on eBay
Some times called driveway proximity sensors you can have more than one sensor linked to the sounder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:20 - 02 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/tiiwee-Home-Alarm-System-Starter/dp/B071R4RXWZ

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:33 - 02 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reviews on that Aldi alarm are, alarming.

I spent less than 10 quid on a battery one and wired it to a 5v solar panel. Its been nearly 3 years now with no problems.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 02 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:

Is what I have too. Decent kit for the price. I got a second alarm sounder unit and paired it up so there is one in the garage and one in the house

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 02 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'd like to know is what's the success rate of audible shed/garage alarms in defeating theft attempts, and if they work then what does the volume level need to be? It would be good to see a Rogerborg style database of results as to when and where they are effective?

I personally still err on the side of silent baby alarms/monitoring, and being woken up quietly and being prepared to risk everything to run outside with a collection of stored weapons under the bed just for this purpose. But again a compiled database of how often this method works in preventing a theft would be nice reading to see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 02 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bisley-Security-Burglars-Intruders-Galvanized/dp/B0049ACMC6
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:46 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: re Reply with quote

on that Tiwee system do I need to buy the PIR motion sensor unit to make it work in the garage situation? I'm trying to get my head around how the door/window sensor would work, my plan is to just stick the motion sensor in there on a shelf pointing towards the door and I can just deactivate/activate from the remote when I come and go

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Tiwee I just use the door sensor, the door is the only way into my workshop (security windows) so they have to rip the doors off (and I mean rip them off, with machinery)

But if your scenario dictates the baddies can come through without tripping a door switch then yes, you'd need to add the PIR unit.

peejayess
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:49 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silent alarms are good if you are always available to respond and you want to catch the bad guy. What we really want is deterrence, so they don’t break in in the first place or, if they do, they run off without nicking anything. As most thefts are opportunist, decent visible locks and lights are best, with loud alarms as back-up if they get in, preferably with CCTV to get pictures. If they really really want what you’ve got, nothing will stop them.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:56 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just make do with the three dogs.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:24 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alarms only work if they cause someone to come runing waving nailboards, spears or attatched weaponary. If you're a light sleeper a doorbell chime might work if it doesn't false alarm.

I recomend CCTV you can see where you sleep (or by button push, phone flail) to go with an alarm so you know wheter it's weather/4 legged wildlife/other false alarm or thieving two legged wildlings. And an arsenal of microphone stands, 3ft breaker bars, boarding pikes, longarms with bayonets, golf bats, cricket sticks, hockey racquets or other such weapons of opportunity should the startled wildlings attempt to charge you.

Do not sneak attack the thieving wildlings. That's probably murder or attempts thereof.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoke generator/grenade combined with a strobe light makes for a complete setup. Bonus points for seizures.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:15 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:

Can anyone buy blanks for these?

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Try something a bit more industrial

https://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41770000/gif/_41770614_factfile_claymore416.gif
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:31 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:

Can anyone buy blanks for these?

You need a black powder blank for that to work properly. A nitro cartridge of the modern sort won't make a big bang unless the gases are kept in by a barrel and obviously in the alarm mine they aren't. Black powder makes a real big bang. You can empty the shot out of an ordinary 12bore black powder cartridge to make it a blank.

You can't buy shotgun cartridges without a shotgun certificate, but you can possess them legally without one. Odd but true. This is a quote from the Home Office guidance on firearms to the police:

Quote:
copied from 'Firearms Law, Guidance to the police':
2.53 A shotgun certificate is not required to possess or acquire shotgun cartridges containing
five or more shot, none of which exceeds .36 inch in diameter. All ordinary shot cartridges
are covered by this description. However, a shotgun certificate (or firearm certificate
authorising possession of a section 1 shotgun) is normally required to purchase shotgun
cartridges. All single bulleted ammunition, for example solid slug, spherical ball or
projectiles for birdscaring equipment, is subject to the requirement for a firearm certificate.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/518193/Guidance_on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_April_2016_v20.pdf

I've got an old alarm mine which I've had for about forty years, but I am not that clear how the police would interpret its use if some scroat complained you'd hurt him somehow or damaged his hearing. Also, I would not want to be arguing in court about the interpretation of charges such as causing an explosion. We live in times when such robust action by citizens is not approved of by police. Almost all of the alarm mines in existence will be in rural areas not cities. These places have a different attitude to causing big bangs.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 15:13 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1byone-Controller-Battery-operated-Receivers-Weatherproof/dp/B00GUBJJ96

Get one of these. Had one in my garage for over a year, brilliant bit of kit and if anyone were to get in at night, it chimes off right next to my bed.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

https://amzn.eu/d/8tWe8aL

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

You want 12 Bore Saluting blanks, available from Henry Kranks if you're prepared to pay for a currier licenced to carry black powder.

Otherwise try your local freindly shooters shop.
https://www.henrykrank.com/cleaning-maintenance-storage/security/alarm-mines/12g-black-powder-blanks-for-alarm-mine-pack-12.html

Using or posessing an alarm mine or other blank firer may be in breech of you tenancy agreement if you are a renter. In some areas you can't have an blank firers or air rifles in a council house, but they can't actually legally stop you from keeping an armoury sufficicient for a small militia and I am aware of council tennants in posession of fully functional artillery pieces. You need a big safe.

It's a CRIMINAL offence to disassemble a shotgun cartridge, or to adapt a blank firer to use roeunds derived from non blank amunition. This means cutting up a shotgun cartridge or handloading a shotgun cartridge to make a blank can mean prison.

Oh and if you disassemble anyhting containg black powder including a domestic firework or otherwise handle it without a license, yup, prison time. The government is particularly funny about black powder because it makes a very good primer for other explosives and saw extensive use by the IRA.

However you can buy blanks, and black powder blanks if you can find a supplier, however black powder is very sensitive to moisture, so I'm not sure how well a black powder shotgun blank will hold up in a shed.

tittymcarsefa...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:37 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a large mean dog and chain it up in the shed at night or when you are out.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:

Do not sneak attack the thieving wildlings. That's probably murder or attempts thereof.

Don't be a stupid prick!
If I get woke up and can see theives, I'm running out screaming with all the weapons I can carry. "kill kill we go in, we attack"
I ain't showing myself to a group of thieves with the hope that they run after me so I can wave my golf club around like a twat. I want that first strike to a skull and hopefully enough strikes to destroy at least one. I'll be happy at that come what may.

Besides if it all goes wrong in a favourable way to you, that's what a roll of DPM sheet and a couple of cans of stale petrol is for. You just need to be calm and do whatever is required not to get caught. If you get stabbed and axed to death, well at least you went out breaking skulls. I could live happy in the next life if I'd gone out that way, instead of whimpering in the corner of a dark room calling the police.

tittymcarsefa...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:45 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self defence law basically says You can use reasonable defence to defend yourself and to prevent crime, so you can hit them for as long as you believe they are threat to yourself and or property but only with spur of the moment weapons. (if you have a legal shotgun to hand that can be spur of the moment too).

If they run away and you chase them down or they are knocked out and you keep hitting them it is no longer self defence.

Level of perceived danger and what is believed to be reasonable self defence at the time is determined by the victim not the intruder.

your defence does not have to reflect the actual danger faced just the danger you believe you faced.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:29 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

tittymcarseface wrote:
your defence does not have to reflect the actual danger faced just the danger you believe you faced.

If you stab thief in the back or cave in the back of his skll when you could have stayed hidden, safe and secure in the house thats probably jail for murder. You were safe until you chose to attack. You're not at risk and murder is not a proportional response to property theft. If they broke into your house (or your garage conects to house without an additional secure door) then you have some more leeway.

I have a reenactor freind who ended up in a bit of trouble for chasing, yes just persuing down the street dressed in underwear, lead thieves away with a mic stand.

This lead to a lot of questions about why the mic stand was not stored in the back room/music studio, fortunately evaded by means of social media photo of him carrying audio equipment into a famous dingy basement in leeds the evening before and a car still full of cables and miscellaneous low-value music gear.

The police and judicairy don't like it when you undermine them.

I say it's a damn good job they didn't think we were "a New Model Army inspired riot" as one polite journalist put it, and they hadn't twigged we were the nutcases that had to stop thowing stunt instruments off the stage because you just can't get good staff these days.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:26 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
murder is not a proportional response to property theft.

Legally or morally?

That aside, you are allowed to confront a burglar. You do not have to run and hide.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 199 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2