Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Goodbye and good Riddence

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:07 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Goodbye and good Riddence Reply with quote

Great news Chris (got no talent) Evans is leaving radio 2 Laughing

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Goodbye and good Riddence Reply with quote

toby1 wrote:
Great news Chris (got no talent) Evans is leaving radio 2 Laughing

The Captain America bloke was on Radio 2?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:57 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably to enjoy his licence payer funded multi millions without the necessity of getting up early. Rolling Eyes

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, might start listening to Radio 2 again in the mornings.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:33 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well that will save the beeb a million and a half......

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:02 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently he is off back to Virgin, I'm not a huge fan of their current Breakfast line (Sam and Amy) up but anything is better than Chris Moyles.

I do hope Chris Evans is not going to be doing breakfast on virgin, though he grates on me a bit and I listen to the breakfast show on the way to work. Sam and Amy do an alright job.

Virgin on the way in Radio X with Johnny Vaughan on the way home.

edit: Confirmed Breakfast slot https://virginradio.co.uk/highlights/hes-back-chris-evans-returns-virgin-radio-180903517926 time to try Radio6 maybe...

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:30 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I heard he is going from an audience of some 9mil on radio 2, to a audience of half a mil on Virgin. He's doing a white knight job. Hope he falls on his conceited arse like he did with Top Gear.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I no longer listen to any music radio, that's what spotify, or deezer etc are far better for, if it's current affairs, then it's still Radio 5 live, and for sport Radio 5 live xtra. Having said that some of the presenters on radio 5 are starting to grate as well !!

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember first watching him on The Big Breakfast back in '92.
Just gave me the impression his ego got off on the fact the whole film crew laughed every time he cracked some crap joke or innuendo.
Probably told them to do it beforehand
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

toby1 wrote:
From what I heard he is going from an audience of some 9mil on radio 2, to a audience of half a mil on Virgin. He's doing a white knight job. Hope he falls on his conceited arse like he did with Top Gear.

I'd have thought actually having to work a breakfast show must be absolutely shite, having to get up at stupid o'clock 5 days a week and the having to going to bed early when everyone you know is still up and about. If I had millions on the bank like he does I can't imagine choosing to do that for a job, which is why I'd assumed he'd jacked it in.

Except he's going to do the same job on a much smaller station? Does not compute.

I wonder who'll be taking over? Hopefully it'll be that Coxy. Makes me larf, she does.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:16 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Except he's going to do the same job on a much smaller station? Does not compute.

But we do not know just how much he is being paid to do it.....

He has to fund his garage somehow.... Laughing

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
toby1 wrote:

I'd have thought actually having to work a breakfast show must be absolutely shite, having to get up at stupid o'clock 5 days a week and the having to going to bed early when everyone you know is still up and about. If I had millions on the bank like he does I can't imagine choosing to do that for a job, which is why I'd assumed he'd jacked it in.

Having done it for 3 years, I can confirm it's a real grind - I never got used to the alarm going off at 4.30am or having to be in bed by 9pm and once I'd finished my stint, I vowed I would never do it again.

The thingh about people like Evans is, they're driven and they have massive egos to feed; he's at the peak of the industry, more listeners than anybody, top of the pay grade and now he's bored and needs a new challenge.

TWG have been trying (not all that successfully) to revamp Virgin since it launched and they see Evans and the next step in that plan.

For his part, he probably gets virtually a free reign and a much more flexible and reactive organisation behind him, so he can go back to what he does best, which is much more ad hoc than R2 are ever going to be.

I very much doubt the same amount of salary is involved (although if a big sponsor gets on board it might be possible) I think he's just feeling a bit jaded and wants to do something more free range while he's still just about young enough.

There's also a bit of politics going on at R2 and he can probably see the writing on the wall - the bosses can't wait to tick the diversity box and put a female lead on breakfast, plus there's the problem of what to do with Scott Mills, who's outstaying his welcome on R1.

I wouldn't be very surprised if the next brekky team is Mills and A N (female) Other.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

People still listen to the radio?? shocking..... Rolling Eyes

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:20 - 04 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
People still listen to the radio?? shocking..... Rolling Eyes

Yep Tunein app on the phone on the commute on the bike to and from work. No matter how many playlists I have on spotify I still like to have the talk between and the news to update me on the days events before I sit down at my desk.

Some of the segments are quite funny and have me LOL'ing in my helmet.

Saying that I don't think I have used FM in 10 years and my DAB radio has been broken for 5. Its also odd that I don't enjoy listening to the radio at home, for a while I did listen to planet rock and NME but then they went titsup.com on DAB (looks like planet rock might be back?) and I stopped really using DAB and switched to streaming.

The streams seem to have improved and are now better quality than the failed shity mono DAB output. I can't believe that they introduced a system (DAB) worse than the previous one (FM) in so many ways and expected people to adopt it. TBH I don't even think DAB+ if it ever got implemented in the UK would be much better.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 04 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

I very much doubt the same amount of salary is involved

Well I'll be buggered, if the front page of the paper I saw earlier is to be believed, he's taken a £400K pay increase!

That's a proper gamble on behalf of his new employers, all the haters should probably start rubbing their hands together..........

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:40 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh (sigh of relief) I can now listen to Radio2 again , without that ginger twat who appears to love the sound of his own voice wittering on all the time.
Happy days Thumbs Up
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:04 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radio is for Basic Bitches.

Podcasts and Spotify for FTW.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:27 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

Yer baby, basic bitches rule Thumbs Up

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
chris-red wrote:

Depends if you’re happy listening to repeats.

6 Music often play stuff i’ve Never heard.

I've been broadcasting since 1981 and in that time, I've seen enough negative changes to make me fall out of love with the industry as a whole, but I still love the medium.

I still think it can be the best way to communicate with people on a personal level, unmatched by any other medium.

When it comes to music, things like Spotify can suggest stuff you might like, in a very impersonal way, but a quality radio presenter is as good as your buddy coming round and saying "You must listen to this", with an enthusiasm some random algorithm can never do.

Because my work colleagues are a bunch of heathens, I don't get to listen to 6 Music as often as I would like, but from what I have heard, it's one of the best at exposing people to things that might interest/challenge them.

I particularly enjoy Tom Ravenscroft, there's times I hear him and it's his Dad, come back to life.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:25 - 06 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do the radio stations get stats? I used to turn the radio off when they played something shite, hoping they'd see a drop in listeners if enough people did it.. but surely the dab receiver in my car is just that, a receiver?
I hate chris evans, won't continue to listen to virgin. Can't listen to autotune, so that rules out R1 and 1x.
Bring back Edith Bowman!! Wub

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:54 - 06 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatjames wrote:
How do the radio stations get stats? I used to turn the radio off when they played something shite, hoping they'd see a drop in listeners if enough people did it.. but surely the dab receiver in my car is just that, a receiver?
I hate chris evans, won't continue to listen to virgin. Can't listen to autotune, so that rules out R1 and 1x.
Bring back Edith Bowman!! Wub

The stats are collated by an outfit called Radio Joint Audience Research (RAJAR) which is an organisation jointly owned by the BBC and commercial sector.

When a radio station starts up, it determines which areas it will be broadcasting to and that becomes it's Total Survey Area (TSA). Every quarter, a number of diaries are given to people within the TSA and they are charged with keeping a record of their listening habits, during a certain period.

Once the diaries are back in, RAJAR use the data to extrapolate various listening statistics across the whole TSA.

So your idea of switching off when you hear a song you don't like, won't work because it's not an instantaneous survey, just a set of averages over a given period.

It's an extremely flawed system, but it's the same system for everyone, so it works for comparison purposes.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:58 - 06 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck all that. 160gb Ipod classic on shuffle with every CD I ever owned and then some on it. Every bit of music
I've collected over a 30 year period which luckily has been mostly CD based is on there. All the playlists from
my wedding. Best of compilations that I've made myself by some of my favourite bands and artists. I don't
want to hear advertising, left wing influenced "inclusive" presenting, or any presenting at all tbh. Just MY music.
I don't do streaming services, too modern for me. Folded arms Used to listen to LBC a lot when I was driving vans
and lorries for a crust back in London but had I been able to just play my own stuff I'd have preferred that. But
the radios in most of my work motors were very basic with no AUX input. I rarely hear music I enjoy on terrestrial
radio anyhow, rock and metal isn't really represented as well as it should be and the rap music I like is often too
offensive for airplay without it having all the gun/drug/sex references blanked which kind of defeats the purpose of the music.
Lifes too short to waste it listening to meaningless drivel and I'm afraid 75% of what they play on radio is just that to my ear.
On the bike a selection from my Ipod if I have the Nav unit on or I can just plug my ipod into my Sena if
I'm leaving the Garmin at home. TBH I ride so rarely that when I do I prefer to listen to the Akra.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 204 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2