Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sluggish acceleration - clutch cable or something else?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:09 - 04 Sep 2018    Post subject: Sluggish acceleration - clutch cable or something else? Reply with quote

Hey folks,

Keeping in mind I haven't been riding long, I think I may have a clutch issue, or it may be something different, or maybe it's totally normal. My bike is a CBR650F with just over 1000 miles.

When I set off from having been parked up, I sometimes find that the bike won't accelerate properly in first gear. If I apply more throttle I get the same power as before, but the bike will suddenly jump forward and start functioning normally.

If I were to guess, I would say the clutch cable could be sticky and the bike could be behaving as if I still have the clutch in, then releasing after a few seconds. Does this sound likely to those of you with more experience?

It doesn't always happen so I can't reproduce the effect to look in to it, and when it does happen I'm usually concentrating 100% on what is going on with other traffic as I bimble forward slowly.

It only happens when I first set off. Never after the first minute or so.

I assume other people have come across this and have some idea what could be happening. If it's the clutch cable then I could try adjusting the tension or cleaning and lubing it. This has been happening on and off since I got the bike. I thought it was my riding at first, but I'm starting to think it's something else.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 04 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens to the revs when this happens?

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:18 - 04 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Sluggish acceleration - clutch cable or something else? Reply with quote

Johanna wrote:
Hey folks,

Keeping in mind I haven't been riding long,

My bike is a CBR650F with just over 1000 miles.

Assuming its a new bike from that statement....

Back to the dealers to look at.

Could be the brakes.

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 04 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
What happens to the revs when this happens?

Going from memory I don't think the revs really increase, not as much as when I accidentally select neutral anyway. Maybe there is a bit of an increase. I'll pay close attention next time it happens.
I'm normally pulling onto a busy road and into a queue so I tend to return the throttle to the point where I feel it is making a difference and try twisting it a little so I can feel when it "comes free". I don't want to reoeat the jolt forward I've had a couple of times.
If it happens when I have a bit more space I'll try revving it to see.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 04 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That to me sounds more like an issue with the brakes binding rather than the clutch slipping.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 04 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have clutch slip, the engine revs. increase in a particular gear without a corresponding increase in road speed (but there may be some increase in speed). If it feels as though you've suddenly dumped the clutch, and there's a big jolt forward and drop in revs., it could be a problem with the actuating mechanism as you've described. Cable being pinched, excessively curved somewhere, dry....

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:52 - 04 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
That to me sounds more like an issue with the brakes binding rather than the clutch slipping.

Try pushing the bike before and after the sudden release. That'll tell you if it's the brakes.

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:26 - 04 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Evil Hans wrote:

Try pushing the bike before and after the sudden release. That'll tell you if it's the brakes.

I can't do that.

This only occurs for a couple of seconds while I'm moving and in first gear. Generally I'm leaving work, so I start in the car park, ride out of my space and around the car park. Everything feels fine. When I pull out the bike speeds up to the same slow speed as before and then... *no more*. A couple of seconds later it's fine again.

So I can't stop and test anything, unfortunately.

It isn't really a major concern, but if it's a symptom of something I can fix then I would like to sort it out.

Hmm... I do normally pull out on a hill so I have been stopped on the brakes. Not always, though, as it happens elsewhere as well. I'll think about that next time it happens (as well as paying attention to revs).

VultureZ1300
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:31 - 04 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firing on all cylinders? Maybe one or more cylinders are a bit slow in getting going when cold. Unlikely on a new bike but not impossible either.
Just a thought.

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 04 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

check that the cable isn't getting snagged would be the first thing I'd check. What's the slack like at the bar end?

is it like the video below?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP2Qea8KLAc

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 04 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... only happens in the first minute or so....

You are letting the bike warm up first aren't you?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:32 - 04 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't push the bike before you start it to see if the brake is seized?

You in a wheelchair or have so other frailty that prevents you or are you just a little simple?

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:33 - 04 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
Quote:
... only happens in the first minute or so....

You are letting the bike warm up first aren't you?

A little. Maybe it needs more time to warm up? I thought fuel injected bikes didn't really need warming up (but I start the bike while getting my helmet and gloves on anyway). I'll try giving it more time and see whether this stops happening. That's a good thing to try, thanks.

It did happen again this evening. The revs do increase when I try to accelerate, but the bike feels generally very feeble above a certain point. It whines a bit more, but doesn't make as much noise as normal. I pulled away in a similar way later on (once the issue was gone) and the engine was much louder, I got much more power.

It's definitely not the brakes because the bike would be howling!

I now don't think it's the clutch either because, again, the engine would still be doing 100% of what it's supposed to.

Perhaps it's just not warm enough?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:13 - 04 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We 'tend' to unconsciously operate the front brake on start up, when we first get on the bike and grip the bars.

We tend NOT to subconsciously 'flex' the back brake at start up in the same way.

And, especially if a DAS trained newb taught to drag and slip and do slow-speed maneuvers on the back brake, good chance that you are noticing this on worx car-park, after starting, after move off, after you have first used back brake, and its a bit 'sticky'.

More modern brake pads use stintered metals instead of asbestos. They can 'stick' to discs when parked up... either electroferitic reaction between dissimilar metals of pad and disc (more prone in damp) or pads being 'sticky' when used and up to temp, then cooling like heat-glue.... ish!

Honda floating calipers also notorious for sticky float pins.

Good chance the bike needs a thorough clean and grease, and attension paid to those bits like the caliper mounts, and the rear rod and lever pivots both ends.

BUT also good chance that it IS just that the bike isn't warm and oils still thick, and like brake-pads/discs, clutch-plates are still are a tad glued together until the bikes properly warm and oil thinned, and the plates are up to temp and un-gummed by a bit of work.

Cable? Is a potential in there, and is oft over-looked both for clean/lube/adjust... but one of many possible suspects, and not necessarily top of the list.

Do some basic maintenance; beyond an oil change.
Watch your start-up/warm-up procedure.. and DO flex brakes doing the 'pre-ride-checks' you were taught on CBT.
See how it goes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 07:50 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
We 'tend' to unconsciously operate the front brake on start up, when we first get on the bike and grip the bars.

We tend NOT to subconsciously 'flex' the back brake at start up in the same way.

Just to clarify. Everything is fine when I start in the car park. I don't start from the back brake in the car park. Once out of the car park there is a short but steep hill with traffic lights. That is where I use the back brake, and it's just after the hill start and acceleration onto a bigger road that the bike goes slow.
I consciously thought through each control yesterday. I am not touching the brakes at all, not touching the clutch. The bike isn't revving as much as normal. I'm very much thinking it's because it isn't warmed up properly at this point. I will give it more time to warm up and report back.
I don't know how long I can stand around in my work car park when I'm looking forward to leaving, though! 😁

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:18 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the bike bought new, or from a dealer, if so, just take it back and get them to look at it

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:27 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think warming up explains what I understand your problem to be, which is: "I start it, I get on it and move off normally, it's OK up to a low speed of walking/running pace, then it accelerates slowly and sluggishly until all of a sudden the power comes in with a bang". Is that right? Warming up for 20-30 seconds is the most you should need, and no blipping the throttle.

As said up there^ perhaps take it to the dealer and ask them,as it's a new machine.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:44 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johanna wrote:
I'm normally pulling onto a busy road and into a queue so I tend to return the throttle to the point where I feel it is making a difference and try twisting it a little so I can feel when it "comes free".

You return the throttle to where the point where you feel it's making a difference. Him. On a carburetted engine, it could be that a grossly excessive throttle opening followed by closing g the throttle restoring proper operation. Without closing the throttle, the thing would crawl up to a speed appropriate for that throttle opening and then zoom off, which in low gear might be startling.

But, you've got an injected engine. Some sensor issue?

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:51 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My bike is a CBR650F with just over 1000 miles.

Take it back to the dealer.

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:09 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
I don't think warming up explains what I understand your problem to be, which is: "I start it, I get on it and move off normally, it's OK up to a low speed of walking/running pace, then it accelerates slowly and sluggishly until all of a sudden the power comes in with a bang". Is that right? Warming up for 20-30 seconds is the most you should need, and no blipping the throttle.

As said up there^ perhaps take it to the dealer and ask them,as it's a new machine.

Yes, exactly this.

I am going to try warming it up for longer. Then, if it keeps happening I will take it to the dealer. I suspect the dealer will struggle to reproduce what's happening so the more information I can give the better.

Thanks everyone!

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs K has cb1000r, when warming up it runs for about 2 mins at higher revs (automatic choke) depending on outside temp. If it's been sat out all day it still runs at almost twice idle speed for a good minute or so, before you hear an obvious decrease in revs back to normal idle speed.
If it does this and problem persists, back to dealer.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:34 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt read all post but agree with Tefers.
I thought is nothing else is amiss with the machine (and the vagaries of the thread doesn't confirm that) then it is rider error.
Keep your plate of meat off the back brake.
Try to set-off like that.

Or are you Trolling the Trollers?

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
I didnt read all post but agree with Tefers.
I thought is nothing else is amiss with the machine (and the vagaries of the thread doesn't confirm that) then it is rider error.
Keep your plate of meat off the back brake.
Try to set-off like that.

Or are you Trolling the Trollers?

I am 100% sure my foot is nowhere near the back brake. Really.

I set off just fine. If I was dragging the brake even the start would be a bit slow. The problem starts a short distance after I've pulled out onto the road. As I start accelerating I hit a "ceiling" where the bike stops accelerating. It happened again yesterday and I double checked the balls of my feet were on the pegs and nowhere near the brake, the revs were increasing, but not as much as expected. I changed to a higher gear and got to 30mph that way. I don't know if the "rev ceiling" would still have occurred in a higher gear. Maybe if I was trying to reach 60 I would find the same in all the gears. I don't know. Anyway - I get to some more lights at this point so slow down again and when I go again the problem has vanished.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just from that description above, I'd suggest the clutch is slipping. Your new bike should be still running in, first service done? If so just take it in to dealer. Don't leave it if you keep having a recurring problem. That's why you bought it from a reputable motorcycle dealer, for the back up they have to give you under the makers warranty!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If possible nip into a dealer or bike shop with the beast and plead diminished mental capacity. They will feel sorry/take pity and have a wee shoofti at the bike for you.
If they charge for that service name and shame.

If you were chatty with the place you trained to pass the test drop in there. Those folk are aye far too willing to help out, if someone is available and they're not all out grooming/training newbeez.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 226 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2