Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sluggish acceleration - clutch cable or something else?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:20 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

650F, 1000 miles, back to dealer yo?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:18 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johanna wrote:

I set off just fine.
The problem starts a short distance after I've pulled out onto the road. As I start accelerating I hit a "ceiling" where the bike stops accelerating.

the revs were increasing, but not as much as expected. I changed to a higher gear and got to 30mph that way.

Maybe if I was trying to reach 60 I would find the same in all the gears. I don't know..

So it's a 650 and you have to change upto get to 30mph......
That would be about 5K revs in 1st.....

So how many rev's you got on the clock before it stops getting faster?

SEE POST 3......

Or stop posting a load of rubbish... Rolling Eyes

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:23 - 06 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evidence is mounting for it being a case of me not warming the bike enough. (I'm still quite inexperienced).

Yesterday I warmed the bike for much longer before leaving work. No problem at all.

This morning, when the roads were empty, I left with practically zero warm up to see if it would happen again. It did. The bike goes to about 3000 rpm, then as I twist the throttle the revs increase only a little bit.
Change to second gear. Revs increase to 3000, then "stick" at that point again, increasing only slightly if I push it.

Remember I know nothing. What are the symptoms of a bike being too cold? Is this what would normally happen?

For those telling me to take the bike to a dealer - yes, thanks, I hear you, but I want to rule out my own incompetence before I waste their time and mine. Please also remember this is only a very minor "glitch". I could live with it, but if I can figure it out and either change my habits or repair something then that would be good.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:37 - 06 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know this specific bike, but has it done it's break in mileage yet, and if so, has it been back for it's 1st service

Reason i ask, is i read a review for a new bike recently (can't remember the bike) but from the factory, it had a lower rev limit set for the break in period (to avoid a hard break in), and on 1st service (after the break in period) this limit is then removed

Could this be the case with this particular bike?

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:24 - 06 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
I don't know this specific bike, but has it done it's break in mileage yet, and if so, has it been back for it's 1st service

Reason i ask, is i read a review for a new bike recently (can't remember the bike) but from the factory, it had a lower rev limit set for the break in period (to avoid a hard break in), and on 1st service (after the break in period) this limit is then removed

Could this be the case with this particular bike?

It has had its first service, but yes, it could be that it's limited within a certain time of starting up, intended for the bedding in period, and that the limiter wasn't removed. I had the service done locally rather than by Honda so maybe they missed this.

I'll ask the dealer.

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 06 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a modern bike with an automatic 'choke' the bike should automatically compensate for ambient/internal temperature.

Take it back to the dealer and ask them. The bike shouldn't bog down.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:57 - 08 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only limiter on new vehicles is the mentality of the operator.
I have a bike that has a bright lamp to 'suggest' that a higher gear should be selected. Factory setting is around 7000rpm.
Once run-in this can be changed (by the operator via the on-board settings function) to a higher setting.
This is the only 'restriction' I have ever heard of.
Apart from the sticker on the fuel tank and the words of caution from the sales bod.

Modern stuff is made to not 'really' need running in.
Old stuff (pre-1970s' was not made as precisely so needed a running in period to let stuff work off any roughness and fit better.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 232 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2