Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Knocked off my new-to-me bike. Ms Paint incl.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

JackDG
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:36 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Knocked off my new-to-me bike. Ms Paint incl. Reply with quote

Well, some of you may have remembered my previous thread asking for price advice on a 02 CBR 600Fsport, white.

I had done about 4 or 500 miles, everything was sweet, just fitted a black widow slip on (Can recommend).

Pretty simple as paint diagram shows. passing traffic, audi-rental-american-tourist pulls out to also overtake, I slow and move far right up against curb but I wasn't fast enough, he hits my handlebars and I go down on me arse. A bit sore and stiff but no real damage to me, which is a plus, considering we were doing overtaking speeds.

Insurers said since we were both considered overtaking, default is a split liability, however he admitted fault to police (or so the police told me as they organized their own recovery of bike). Really hoping this is true as I only have 3rd party and don't want to be landed with recovery + storage costs.

Police said they would have done him for careless driving, but since he's a tourist they would need to arrest him on the spot and take him to court next day, which they didn't want to do.

Last edited by JackDG on 17:57 - 06 Sep 2018; edited 1 time in total

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:44 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Knocked off my new-to-me bike. Ms Paint incl. Reply with quote

JackDG wrote:

Police said they would have done him for careless driving, but since he's a tourist they would need to arrest him on the spot and take him to court next day, which they couldn't be arsed to do.

For truth Rolling Eyes

Annoys me intensely. If he's guilty of careless, do him for careless. They would have been happy enough to do a British licence holder to get their pull count up but anything that means extra work Rolling Eyes

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:50 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you were being a proper idiot doing 60 in a 40 or something, I'd contest that... but what were you overtaking Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor obs, overtaking multiple vehicles in one go. Inadequte or hesitant use of speed.

You are 100% at fault, in my opinion.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What have the police got to do with it, you are going to claim against his insurance policy which will be included in the rental agreement.
If you have fully comp insurance they will deal with it to avoid paying out.
If you don't, have fun - but should still be no problem unless they claim to have been in Bulgaria at the time and/or have alternative witnesses who no speaky English.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the purple witnesses on bicycles?

Should have guessed the car in front is going to overtake a pair of bicyclists riding two abreast.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading between the lines, it looks like the American went to overtake the two purple blobs just after our OP had already decided to overtake the American and the purple blobs. If the purple blobs are motorbikes then this is possibly understandable - you might not expect the American to go for an overtake, especially if you've been following them a while and they have shown no interest in overtaking. If the purple blobs are bicycles though, it's a different matter as it is inevitable the American would want to pass them and maybe our OP didn't see them before committing to his overtake? Or perhaps the purples were mopeds/scooters? Or horses?

JackDG
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:48 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purple blobs also motorcycles, they had just recently overtaken Yankee doodle. It was a long line of slow moving traffic, on a nsl
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

JackDG
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:06 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Poor obs, overtaking multiple vehicles in one go. Inadequte or hesitant use of speed.

You are 100% at fault, in my opinion.

Don't forget my lack of hi-vis polite vest Rolling Eyes

Quote:
So the two motorcycles had just overtaken the Audi, then immediately slowed enough for the Audi and you to need to overtake them?

They recently overtook, they overtook him while I was still several car lengths behind. I just moved out as it was safe to do so, so not exactly sure how long they were ahead of him. That's what they told me.

Biker 1 said they were about to move out to start making progress but stopped as they saw me already passing (I was climbing up traffic faster then they were over the past few miles)
[/quote]

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor obs 😂

But seriously... Sounds like impatient yank annoyed at motorcycles that had overtaken him slowing in front of him. (They were slowing because they used good obs and saw you coming).

He goes for either the Hero - overtake everything in one go... Or the I'll teach these bikes a lesson overtake.

Either way he didn't check his mirrors.

Driving without due care every day of the week (him). I wouldn't accept anything other than 100% his fault. Assuming you were not crossing solid white lines etc.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

On an unrelated note... I have a pair of OEM levers, a set of OEM rubber brake lines, OEM can, OEM screen and some nobrand stainless downpipes for your bike if you are interested Laughing .

JackDG
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:01 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Poor obs 😂.

Well everything's always a lesson learnt. In 6 years of riding I've had people pull out during an overtake before. This was unfortunate that I was almost parrelel with the driver, and he pulled out quite aggressively and i got caught Rolling Eyes

Something I'll be keeping in mind in the future, just happy to just have scrapes and broozes, could have been much worse.

Always good to keep my ms Paint skills up to date as well

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness to you...

Not much you can do about it at that stage...

As Yoda would say... Do or do not. There is no try.

So either don't go for the overtake... Or fully commit to it and get the fuck out of there before a moron can strike. 👍

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a case in the news not long ago where this happened to a guy (his dad was filming the ride behind(iirc)). Eastern European fella did same thing albeit a greater speed, got dealt with severely.
https://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-videos-contentm/when-overtaking-goes-horribly-wrong

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackDG wrote:
In 6 years of riding I've had people pull out during an overtake before.

Yep, it sure happens a lot, usually with no use of mirrors or signals. Happened to me just this morning, but luckily the road was wide enough for both of us.

JackDG
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:22 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
There was a case in the news not long ago where this happened to a guy (his dad was filming the ride behind(iirc)). Eastern European fella did same thing albeit a greater speed, got dealt with severely.
https://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-videos-contentm/when-overtaking-goes-horribly-wrong

I was already in the right hand lane much before him in the video, but similar aggressive pull out by the driver! Uncanny

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:53 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done on walking away from it, shame about the bike.

Poor obs by the car driver but sounds like you will need to fight for it not to go 50-50 unless his insurance acknowledge that he admitted fault. If I recall correctly from my claim (I got 100% in the end) 50-50 is for the total claim, that means that you could claim 50% of recovery, damage to bike and leathers etc from their insurance...I think. Looks like your bike came off much worse than the car.

I bet as a holiday rental he has silly excess.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

JackDG
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:48 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope don't know them. They were husband and wife and stopped to help.

All I know is several minutes before they were able to move up and I wasn't (I'm still several cars behind) . When I caught up they were in front of the Audi, I assessed it safe to pass (no on coming , no traffic close behind me, bikers not making it obvious they were waiting to pass).

I appreciate it's hard to type up all the details to perfectly paint the memory in my mind but I hope the key details are sufficient for insurance, and more importantly bcf Laughing police said everyone's story (mine, driver, bike witnesses) matched up

JackDG
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:57 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mpd72 CPT"][quote="JackDG"]

They recently overtook, they overtook him while I was still several car lengths behind.

Arghhh typo. Few cars behind. Not car lengths. I can see where the confusion comes from Embarassed Embarassed

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:31 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to get stung for the recovery and storage costs so go and get your bike back ASAP.

The driver admitting fault or liability is all well and good but what actually matters is the insurance company admitting liability.

"since we were both considered overtaking, default is a split liability"

Come again? Laughing Laughing

Is the road a dual carriageway?

JackDG
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:59 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

"since we were both considered overtaking, default is a split liability"

Come again? Laughing Laughing

Is the road a dual carriageway?

that's just want the insurance boy told me, unlike a rear end which is default all the rear vehicles liability.

Nope, not dual carriageway

Would I have to pay upfront for them to release the bike?

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackDG wrote:
unlike a rear end which is default all the rear vehicles liability

As far as I remember. That particular nugget of wisdom failed to be the case quite a while ago.

Around the time crash4cash came about...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:06 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You weren't considering overtaking, you were overtaking.

I expect you'll have to pay to get your bike back from the recovery people.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 231 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2