Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So, why is the ULEZ such an issue?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:21 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: So, why is the ULEZ such an issue? Reply with quote

I've always found (unless only going 5 miles or so) using london transport much preferable than driving.

I'm also told that insurance is prohibitive in london. So, why is the ulez such an issue?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:41 - 06 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it's an excuse to make money under the guise of being green?

If serious about pollution, just ban all ICE engines except lorries and all private vehicles except push bikes and EV's rather than this hodge podge of money making scams with big 'fines' if you forget to pay.

However as I have no intention of ever going to London again I don't really care. Cool

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:55 - 06 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It forces you to have a new bike stolen rather than an old bike.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:09 - 06 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it doesn't seem to apply to black cab drivers who are directly responsible for 20% of the total pollution.
To comply, emergency services MUST buy new vehicles, the bus companies MUST buy new vehicles, anyone
running any kind of vehicle fleet will have to make changes. But his mates the cabbies can run their existing old
clunkers into the ground before they are made to change. You can bet that the majority will do just that before taking
on 30+k of new eco TAXI. With basic maintainenance, a diesel taxi can do interstellar mileages so it will be 10 years
or more before the last diesel TAXI in London is scrapped. Until then they can chug out smoke with impunity from the
London clean air zealots. The whole thing smacks of double standards but duplicity is Mr Khans watchword.
So no surprise there then.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 06 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfl can suck a dick, they get no more money from me

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 06 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also it's worth mentioning that that particular cash cow will multiply when Liverpool, Birmingham, Manchester,
Cardiff, Edinburgh, Bristol et al follow suit. When they realise they can virtue signal and raise extra income via the
already beleaguered motorist it's only a matter of time until funding is found for the network of cameras to be installed.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 06 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Because it doesn't seem to apply to black cab drivers who are directly responsible for 20% of the total pollution.
To comply, emergency services MUST buy new vehicles, the bus companies MUST buy new vehicles, anyone
running any kind of vehicle fleet will have to make changes. But his mates the cabbies can run their existing old
clunkers into the ground before they are made to change. You can bet that the majority will do just that before taking
on 30+k of new eco TAXI. With basic maintainenance, a diesel taxi can do interstellar mileages so it will be 10 years
or more before the last diesel TAXI in London is scrapped. Until then they can chug out smoke with impunity from the
London clean air zealots. The whole thing smacks of double standards but duplicity is Mr Khans watchword.
So no surprise there then.

Or emergency services could just refuse to response in central London. Khan would soon change his tune then Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:16 - 06 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Because it's an excuse to make money under the guise of being green?

I'd reckon on this being bob on. Have a look at these:
https://data.london.gov.uk/dataset/london-average-air-quality-levels

On all of the major concerns for air pollution at roadside there is not a single month since 2008 that exceeds the maximum threshold of the 'Low' scale - and the advice for even the most vulnerable 'at risk individuals' is to go about your day perfectly normally.

To top it off, the trend-line appears to be negative on just about every aspect of air pollution with the exception being NO2 which is not the primary concern of the nitrogen based pollutants I believe (NOx and NO are the primary drivers, NO2 is more of a consequence as I understand it).

So in summary, it would seem air quality is improving and is likely only to get better as old cars are naturally phased out, and air pollution is still within the specification that's considered 'low'.

Why the need for the drastic action?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:23 - 06 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: So, why is the ULEZ such an issue? Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
So, why is the ulez such an issue?

It seems that if your bike's newer than July, 2007 (or electric, or "historic", or previously "Euro 3 compliant") it's OK anyway.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:39 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Clean Air Charging Zone coming to Bath for your enjoyment. Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:55 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euro IV mate. No veneer in ere.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:27 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
There's a Clean Air Charging Zone coming to Bath for your enjoyment. Thumbs Up

What's the betting I can find back road routes that bypass cameras if they do.

brains_t
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:21 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

He should apply this to those coming into the zone causing the traffic and not owners registered, living in the area who do not own a new car as they use public transport during rush hours.

Strange that my 2008 MPV is permitted in all German ULEZs but not under this London scheme

Last edited by brains_t on 13:36 - 22 Sep 2018; edited 1 time in total

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 16:15 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming the trains are running properly which is a big assumption, It takes me 80-90 minutes, to get to work. On my '02 100,000 mile TDM it takes 25-30 minutes. Its costing me £2k + hours of works to get the EXACT SAME BIKE up to scratch to do the job. The difference is purely a number on the V5.

Trains turns my 40 hours out of the house for work into 50, FUCK THAT. That's not to mention the £2.5k it would cost. The bike costs maybe £2k a year in petrol, tyres, insurance, tax etc.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 242 days between these two posts...

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:39 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, it's our resident necromancer again. Rolling Eyes

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:45 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under a different guise, the sneaky little chappie.

Clever these chat bottoms aren't they.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even ColemanStrong has better Karma than Donk Sad

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:06 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it was nuked from orbit by a nice friendly mod.

Ste for mod etc.
henrywilson This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:24 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.ddcountermeasures.com tried to sell me an air quality monitor, but it looked like a broken bong. They then touched me inappropriately in my special place.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.ddcountermeasures.com gave me Coronavirus the minute I typed the letters in.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 04:11 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently some surprisingly old bikes can pass the test with a dose of Miller's Ecomax. And lots of pre-2007 bikes can get an exemption with a manufacturer's certificate of conformance.

My bike is a 95 model, but it's camera proof. So I haven't bothered with ULEZ compliance.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 309 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1