Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Government wants to harvest your organs

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Government wants to harvest your organs Reply with quote

As of yesterday, that's how it is for Englanders: https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/uk-laws/organ-donation-law-in-england/

Quote:
Organ donation in England has moved to an 'opt out' system. You may also hear it referred to as 'Max and Keira's Law'.

This means that all adults in England will be considered to have agreed to be an organ donor when they die unless they have recorded a decision not to donate or are in one of the excluded groups.

Your family will still be approached and your faith, beliefs and culture will continue to be respected.

You still have a choice whether or not you wish to become a donor. Get the facts about organ donation to help you decide.

Why has the law changed?

The law has been changed to help save and improve more lives. Every day across the UK, someone dies waiting for a transplant.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:53 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:01 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 8 weeks of lockdown nobody would want my liver.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Government wants to harvest your organs Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
As of yesterday, that's how it is for Englanders: https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/uk-laws/organ-donation-law-in-england/

You're a bit late. The Organ Donation (Deemed Consent) bill was introduced in 2017 by Labour's Mr Geoffrey Robinson MP and received Royal Assent in March 2019 (over a year ago).If you want to know what's in it, https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/7/enacted

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what we've got in CZE. I say why not, I don't care what they'll do with my body after I'm done using it. Thumbs Up

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they really wanted to make organ donation effective, then they should have withdrawn the next of kin's right to refuse donation when the donor was carrying a card.

Automatic opt ins do not sit well with me I'm afraid.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My missus wants to opt out, idgiaf i already have a donor card and i'll be dead anyway (well that's what they tell you Wink Gagged )

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

and the problem is ....

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:55 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

What do you plan to do with your organs once you're dead? Would you accept an organ from an ''automatic opt in'' donor?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Islander wrote:

What do you plan to do with your organs once you're dead? Would you accept an organ from an ''automatic opt in'' donor?

I'm not against organ donation at all but it should be a voluntary opt in, not an opt out for those that don't want to take part. Its the human spare part equivalent of inertia selling.

As for the second part of the question, I'd never know because I simply wouldn't be told.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:37 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
I'm not against organ donation at all but it should be a voluntary opt in, not an opt out for those that don't want to take part. Its the human spare part equivalent of inertia selling.

Sure, but then many people do not even think about this therefore if it was still voluntary opt in only, there would be and probably is a ''lack'' of avalible organs for transplants. This way everybody is an organ doner unless he/she says otherwise.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Islander wrote:

Sure, but then many people do not even think about this therefore if it was still voluntary opt in only, there would be and probably is a ''lack'' of avalible organs for transplants. This way everybody is an organ doner unless he/she says otherwise.

It's not an argument that convinces me. If you want people to opt in then you do two things:

1. Educate people about the benefits of organ donation.

2. Remove the right of family members to override the wishes of someone that's decided they want to donate.

In other words, you make the effort to engage with people and then you respect their wishes. What you don't do is take the lazy way out and rely on people not opting out of the scheme. That's just immoral.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
and the problem is ....

No problem for me really, I just thought I'd inform folk.

Riejufixing wrote:
You're a bit late. The Organ Donation (Deemed Consent) bill was introduced in 2017 by Labour's Mr Geoffrey Robinson MP and received Royal Assent in March 2019 (over a year ago).If you want to know what's in it, https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/7/enacted

Yep. Another one I'm late for is the whole internet censorship thing that was pushed through a while ago. I remember there being a big thing about it at the time but I didn't think much about it.

And now I can't even turn off safe search on Google.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the stance with jehovah witnesses? Have they all opted out.

I would have thought if you can't accept a blood transfusion it would apply to organs too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:51 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:

I would have thought if you can't accept a blood transfusion it would apply to organs too.

It's opt out of giving, not receiving.

Personally, if/when my liver gives up I'll have anyone's (except Nobbys) I'm not proud. Cool

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:09 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
bhinso wrote:

It's opt out of giving, not receiving.

Personally, if/when my liver gives up I'll have anyone's (except Nobbys) I'm not proud. Cool

What's wrong with waking up from major surgery and finding out you are drunk?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
If they really wanted to make organ donation effective, then they should have withdrawn the next of kin's right to refuse donation when the donor was carrying a card.

What are you, or your next of kin going to do with your organs once you've corked it, you're hardly going to need them any longer. I really don't see the issue at all, as, once you're dead, you're dead, so, if there's anything worth re-using, instead of just being left as maggot feed, then, reuse it.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
What you don't do is take the lazy way out and rely on people not opting out of the scheme. That's just immoral.

Not, not really, nothing immoral, as I said, once you've corked it, anything of 'value' to somebody else, is entirely without value for you, as you're dead..

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not their body, dead or alive.
Presuming that they can take it the moment you're out the room is disrespectful.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:04 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTTD wrote:
Presuming that they can take it the moment you're out the room is disrespectful.

To whom?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTTD wrote:

Smile The interesting question is "Whose is it?"

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:04 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say they would never trade off saving you or harvesting the organs. Officially they never would. But unofficially the unspoken code may be very different. For bikers this is a particularly big issue as a biker with a severe head injury is basically a bag of organs on express delivery ready for transplant, in a body not already riddled with disease and toxic medications.

linuxyeti wrote:
Islander wrote:

What are you, or your next of kin going to do with your organs once you've corked it, you're hardly going to need them any longer. I really don't see the issue at all, as, once you're dead, you're dead, so, if there's anything worth re-using, instead of just being left as maggot feed, then, reuse it.

You make moral decisions about yourself, and he makes them about himself. This is pretty fundamental human rights. He may wish to buried intact, its his right.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Islander wrote:

Next of kin don't always see it that way and they have the right to override the wishes of the donor. As I said before, I'm not against the idea of organ donation and think it's a generally good thing BUT the gift is with the potential donor, not the state. It should be entirely voluntary - using an automatic opt in is immoral.

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:07 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opted out of this last year and have received confirmation by post.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always said I wouldn't opt in because I wouldn't want a pisshead or smackrat benefiting instead of someone deserving.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 340 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2