Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sound effect on starter button press!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

superfly77
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:55 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Sound effect on starter button press! Reply with quote

Dear all,

Forgive the lame first post and thread, but the following is driving me nuts. I have never ridden a bike, but have chosen a 125 and am booked into a CBT and in true midlife crisis style cant wait to join the fraternity.

Amongst the hours of excited internet surfing for tips, advice, suggestions and so on, I recall a number of years ago at a food kiosk that a couple of bikers finished their biscuits and tea and hopped onto their sports bikes. When one of them started up, there was a Tarzan yell that sounded, and the other had a lion roaring on pressing the starter button.

Not sure it would suit a massive 125 putt-putting along at 25mph, but was wondering if anyone might be able to direct me toward where to research that kind of starter button mod. I cant find them anywhere!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:21 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Sound effect on starter button press! Reply with quote

superfly77 wrote:
Dear all,

Forgive the lame first post and thread, but the following is driving me nuts. I have never ridden a bike, but have chosen a 125 and am booked into a CBT and in true midlife crisis style cant wait to join the fraternity.

Amongst the hours of excited internet surfing for tips, advice, suggestions and so on, I recall a number of years ago at a food kiosk that a couple of bikers finished their biscuits and tea and hopped onto their sports bikes. When one of them started up, there was a Tarzan yell that sounded, and the other had a lion roaring on pressing the starter button.

Not sure it would suit a massive 125 putt-putting along at 25mph, but was wondering if anyone might be able to direct me toward where to research that kind of starter button mod. I cant find them anywhere!!

Why, in the name of all that is holy, would you want that pos?

No, just no.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a reason you can't find it. A bit like polite vests and stick on ears, wiper thing on a visor etc, it's naff as fuck.
If they came on here punting it, there's a very good chance they got roundly laughed out of the room! Or someone just told them 'No, just no.'

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:32 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're illegal.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:39 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to get noticed a loud obnoxious exhaust is the answer.

But not on a 125. Never on a 125. Unless of course you enjoy the sound of prolonged, wet farts.

blue_painted
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:46 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5IKthNYhVY

Because

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:48 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We Found 0 Clips With "Prolonged Wet Farts"

How disappointing.

superfly77
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:56 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m sensing this isn’t a popular idea.

Fair enough! Explains why I couldn’t find anything on it. It was just a curiosity anyway. Why are the illegal?

Agree a 125 isn’t particularly gangsta, but unless I build a successful time machine first I don’t suppose I have much choice as a biking newbie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine what you witnessed was a DIY lash-up... I'm sure there'll be plenty of gadgets available like novelty car horns which make duck noises etc; all that would be necessary would be to wire one of those up to the starter button along with a little bit of electronickery.

But for God's sake don't do it, eh?

superfly77
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:05 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hereby bear witness that I will never even mention it again let alone consider ever doing it.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

superfly77
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:10 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
superfly77 wrote:
I’m sensing this isn’t a popular idea.

Fair enough! Explains why I couldn’t find anything on it. It was just a curiosity anyway. Why are the illegal?

Agree a 125 isn’t particularly gangsta, but unless I build a successful time machine first I don’t suppose I have much choice as a biking newbie.

Is Direct Access not available anymore to a mid life crisis biker?

For ones with fewer luncheon and coffee appointments perhaps.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:16 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Sound effect on starter button press! Reply with quote

superfly77 wrote:
I have never ridden a bike, but have chosen a 125

Which 125 do you plan on getting?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think you should be kick starting 125's and anything else with a single cylinder engine for that matter. You don't need no daft starter button yeehawww noises then, and if your 125 hasn't got a kick starter then take it back as you've bought the wrong one!

If you had of gone ahead with this daft full retard accessory, what would have been the second thing you bought for your bike? Maybe one of those exhaust silencer turbo whistles?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Personally I think you should be kick starting 125's and anything else with a single cylinder engine for that matter.

kick start was an optional extra on my bike Crying or Very sad

even worse, if I had the money to spare, I'd spend it on what OP said rather than a kick starter Laughing Laughing

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, you could attach playing cards to the forks with a clothes peg. They'd go "flappety flappety flappety" against the spokes as you ride along. Awesome.

superfly77
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:06 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I’m going to have to research direct access.

Any vague indications of time and cost for someone with no experience at all??

Thanks chums.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A grand or two.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

superfly77
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:47 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hells bells man, that’s a lot of kiplings worth right there.

I found a place in london where apparently you can do a lame cbt and then do some more training depending on your own particular learning speed and pay as you go. Word.

I’ll call them tomorrow and nail this monkey down and then decide what to do. Not sure how I feel about the prospect of going back to school after thirty years.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

about same cost as for car

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

superfly77 wrote:

Thanks chums.

hells bells man, that’s a lot of kiplings worth right there.

nail this monkey down

You are Douglas Reynholm and I claim my five pounds.
https://s20.postimg.cc/pm80r89ct/rehholm.jpg

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid £650 for my DAS..... £2k seems rather.... extreme

superfly77
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:38 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
superfly77 wrote:

Thanks chums.

hells bells man, that’s a lot of kiplings worth right there.

nail this monkey down

You are Douglas Reynholm and I claim my five pounds.
https://s20.postimg.cc/pm80r89ct/rehholm.jpg

its the unmistakable scent of cheap aftershave and bullshit.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:22 - 08 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds very Hardly Dae Anything-esque.
Harley Davidson riders/owners like to think noise is power.
That why they continuously twiddle the throttle to make potato....potato....potato... potato... whilst the machine is at walking pace anytime they see an opportunity to impress a crowd.
Even one person, innocently minding their own business, becomes a crowd in the eyes of a Harley owner..
Noise Makers are Cool for Hardly Dae-Anything riders/owners.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:32 - 08 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamsin wrote:
£2k seems rather.... extreme

Only if you haven't given it more than a moment's reflection. For instance, do you assume all people pass first time? No - you assume that many people will fail either or both modules, because - as easy as they may be to pass, it's also easy to fail them.

So let's say it takes three or four throws to pass either or both modules - add a few extra lessons prior to each retest and the cost can rise well above a grand.

For instance, say a full day lesson is £150. And let's suggest you'll need five lessons - that's seven fifty, plus test fees and bike usage - another couple of hundred. That's your grand, all in, for your lessons and first round of tests.

Now budget for a few failures, and the accompanying extra lessons that are very likely to precede each of the retests. Two lessons prior to each of the two retests would be £300, then throw in a few hundred for test fees and bike usage. You're a chunk over £1500, even when using comparatively competitive, fair bike school fees.

I *hope* two grand is a pessimistic costing - I *fear* it isn't.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 224 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2