Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:45 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

L33n wrote:
jaffa90 wrote:
The last single cyl engine with the same issue i had was the exhaust valve stuck open.

Please tell me how the rings can be stuck?? If crank shaft turning piston has no choice but to move unless fully seized if this is the case the stater motor wouldn't work & would click in the sola same as flat battery so piston moving rings sit in piston witch then squash shut wen cylinder is pushed over how are these rings then stuck? Lmao absolute moroons 100000% your rings ain't stuck pal maybe worn but not stuck if bike was fully working before you've left to stand now no compression most probably is valves open although with it being ohc it should release wen oil gets round as tappets tap & springs are quite strong tbf so with luck if is valves they might release although if you haven't put bit of oil in spark plug hole & its been dry you might of scored your head & rings might be worth whipping head off take you hr tops that way can check valves & piston at same time

Do you now know what a moron is?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolly3900 wrote:

5ml of engine oil doon the plug hole and that will run.

I've not seen a piston removed from an engine that was 'previously' running that looked like that before. Shocked

I looks like the beast was brutalised by the last person to ride it then dragged into the shed and abandoned.

Very Happy

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:35 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the good things to come out of this....

1. It happened on a single cylinder 125

2. You'll never be scared to open up an engine again Thumbs Up

3. L33n gave me a laugh

Who last rode it? Give him a slap round the ear. Laughing

dolly3900
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:49 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldest son last rode it, balls out from Coventry to Swansea apparently on inspection, there is oil in it, although not a lot.

I'm going on the evidence here, but I think the oil was so low, it was just about enough to keep the bottom end lubricated to a minimum as there appears to be no damage or apparent wear there, but the oil starvation of the upper reaches has caused the top end to give way in this spectacular fashion.

The fact that it made it on that journey would, to me, suggest that it was being driven so hard, the fast moving piston was melting by degrees but not enough to actually seize in the bore.

Once it stopped, the heat in the engine was enough to melt the rest and leave it as we have it here.

The rest of the engine does appear to be in great shape and should just need a good clean and flush in the parts washer to remove any debris, a good oil up and ready to go.

Obviously, the first startup will be closely monitored and a full oil change done after a short period of stationary running, then run in, in accordance with the usual advice, before a final flush/change before use.
2002 Rieju RS2-50 (Sold, spares or repair), 2010 Suzuki DR-125SM (Traded for ->), 2007 Honda CBF 600 (Sold), 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 (Briefly, now returned), 2007 Suzuki Intruder 1800m (Even More Briefly, traded in for ->), 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dolly3900
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:17 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz157/mikeallen3lly3900/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0629_zpsygqlraf8.jpg

https://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz157/mikeallen3lly3900/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0630_zps3jn8u6y4.jpg

I think my overly optimistic hope that the top end was salvageable might have been misplaced.

I'm certain that valves are not supposed to look like this.

Head looks a tad under the weather too, so eBay strikes again and replacement on its way along with gasket set.

Oh well, it's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits
2002 Rieju RS2-50 (Sold, spares or repair), 2010 Suzuki DR-125SM (Traded for ->), 2007 Honda CBF 600 (Sold), 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 (Briefly, now returned), 2007 Suzuki Intruder 1800m (Even More Briefly, traded in for ->), 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:59 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the OPs post he seems to be suggesting that the bike was driven home and fell apart in the shed.... No. It blew up and was somehow got home and put in the shed, or it was revved like fuck outside the shed until it blew up, but that bike had a catastrophic failure and somebody knew and put it away like that. I'm thinking the bore will need close inspection and I'd be very surprised if the bore got away unscathed. I'd also be interrogating the last person to use it, because I think some porkies have been served up. Smile

dolly3900
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:14 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buster,

I was told it wasvriden home and was fine when parked up.

On inspection, I have no doubt that the bike was screwed over and either pushed or recovered to home and forgot to tell me this.

I will be speaking to him in detail about it, have no fear in that.

Porkies? At least lentil and Cous Cous (he's vegi)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 195 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2