Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GS500 cutting out/loss of power

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

crazySnublz
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:01 - 08 Sep 2018    Post subject: GS500 cutting out/loss of power Reply with quote

Well firstly it’s been a while since I’ve been on here, since then I’ve passed my A2 license back in Feb and got myself a gs500e N reg a few months beforehand.
Initially all was great, apart from the cam cap bolt threads had been stripped but that was nothing for me. Then about 2 months back it has developed it’s cutting out issues. It becomes almost un rideable after about 5 minutes but it’s kind of intermittent and if I wait between 5-45 minutes I can ride it again for a little bit. But it can idle indefinitely (I’m not sure how long as I always have other things to do and don’t want to leave it run without supervision)
What I’ve checked so far is:
•the diaphragms in the carbs
•I’ve blown out the tank vent in the cap
•for testing I’ve riden it with the tank open
•checked the floats
•changed the petcock for my spare one
•changed the coils
•checked the best I can of the fuel tap
•checked for any air leaks
•checked the battery and charging
I’ve done some research online/in the manual before reactivating on here, and none seem to say for definite if what they did worked. What I’m thinking though is that the crank sensor is breaking down when warm and once it has cooled down for about 10-30 minutes it starts again. As stated before it’s quite intermittent as it will be fine for a week then start messing about again. At the moment it’s my only means of transport as my car has no tax and I can’t afford it till next month. Any help would be appreciated as I’m away next week in Cambridge but I’m passing by a Suzuki dealer who has a few parts for it in stock anyway and I could possibly pick a part up on my way back.
I should mention I’m a car mechanic by trade but I know my way around a bike, have a friend who is slightly more knowledgeable with bikes.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 08 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carry a plug spanner with you and when it starts to cut out give it full throttle / choke.
Also smell the end of the exhaust for fuel.

crazySnublz
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:35 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
Carry a plug spanner with you and when it starts to cut out give it full throttle / choke.
Also smell the end of the exhaust for fuel.

Please elaborate on why I should carry a plug spanner??
I’m not entirely sure on whether I’m being thick or if it’s just too early to understand what you are on about.

I get why I should give full throttle and smell the exhaust, just not the plug spanner bit.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:24 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the spark plugs are wet with fuel after giving it full throttle / choke and smelling the exhaust then you have an electrical problem.

crazySnublz
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:49 - 15 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, cheers for clarifying it was too early for my mind to be working with the added stress the bike has given me the past couple months.

Thought I’d give an update as to what’s gone on.

Before I left, it refused to start altogether regardless of how long I left the fuel tap open and tank open too. Eventually started after a hour or so of messing around but seemed to be running on 1 and half cylinders.

So it got put on charge and still refused to start once I had returned. I was tempted to sell it and get another gs, set it on fire or leave it and walk to work for the next few weeks. But come Thursday I decided to do more stripping.

So I took the carbs off again, checked the O/S one as that was the side that seemed to be running like crap. I decided to swap the float with one from my spare one, removed both of the inline filters, cut the carb fuel supply pipe down a touch and change the same banks ignition coil.

Started up pretty much first flick after the chambers filled up with no choke and even went okay on a quick test drive (got further than it did when it was playing up). Took it for a blast after work yesterday giving it the beans and it seemed to behave. So I think it may be ok now without actually knowing what was exactly wrong which doesn’t help others who may say this post with the same issue.
Only problem I have now is I have a small leak from that float chamber and all the screws/bolts have rounded so that’s another thing to sort whilst it gets some paint and re making the entire loom over the winter.

I’ll keep it updated as to whether the problem still occurs but all is good at this present time.

On a side note, the only problem with being a curious mechanic is that when an engine goes bang for an unknown reason you want to take it apart. So I also have a 125 engine to be stripping but the engine will be taken apart in the comfort of my living room over the coming months too.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 15 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

""""Only problem I have now is I have a small leak from that float chamber""""
Sounds like the float chamber is overfilling if weeping from the top.

crazySnublz
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:07 - 15 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reused the rubber gasket for the float chamber which is why it’s leaking, as it’s only on that one rather than the both of them. It was only meant to be temporary though,to see if it had worked or not and I didn’t have any gasket sealer at home.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 15 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"""""I reused the rubber gasket for the float chamber which is why it’s leaking,""""
Remember that the float chamber does not fill up with fuel.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 196 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1