Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bikes then and now.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Bikes then and now. Reply with quote

I've just been reading about a restoration of a 1992 Yamaha FZR 600, and found it really interesting in regards to the specifications. An FZR wasn't new or cool enough for me in 2001, hence I bought my ZX6R J.

But now all the cutting edge best in class shit doesn't bother me in the slightest, but a really mint or restored 90's bike would carry much more kudos to me now, and the stuff like bhp figures, top speed, weight and fancy big piston suspension doesn't bother me or seem very relevant to my needs or enjoyment of riding bikes.

Anyone else feel the same way, and were there any bikes in the day first time around that you outright dismissed because not cool/fast/trick enough?

Just comparing the specs of the FZR to the ZX6R is interesting too. 146mph, 78bhp r/w, and 179kg vs 166mph, 95bhp r/w, 172kg. Not all that different in 10years of progress really?

Interesting enough the torque figures are within 2ib/ft but the long stroke, small carbed Yamaha makes its peak at 1500rpm less than the Kawasaki. I guess the maximum amount of torque you can make from a 600cc capacity is pretty fixed, no matter how much high revving top end power you can squeeze out.

Another old bike that never used to be on my radar that today would be nice to have is an mk1 Speed triple. I'd rather have a restored example of the Triumph today than a brand new Yamaha MT09.

Is this my inner old bastard coming out, or just that I'm feeling meh about electronics, and modern styling, or 160mph top ends these days, I don't know?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:31 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law".

I have just discovered what Crowley's phrase really means and am embracing it fully. I think it is apt in your case too.

I just don't think that bikes are where your heart is. I have realised myself that lately, they have become a means to an end, and not even a necessary one. But I still love to ride in the right circumstances, and won't sell mine even though times are tight at present. I've ridden it just 4 or 5 times this year, but have enjoyed every ride. That's enough to know I shouldn't sell it.

I wouldn't be willing to spend thousands of pounds on trying different bikes anymore. And although the bikes from my youth still interest me, I have no real desire to go back to owning them. The memories of those I owned and rode are sufficient. It's not about old vs. new for me. I've changed, and don't need to try everything that has two wheels anymore. I'm happy with what I've got, and although I enjoyed my Street Triple for a brief time, it also taught me that I'm not the same as I was all those years ago. I don't need lots of different bikes in my life now. They have been relegated to an interest, and don't define me like they used to.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as bikes became digital they became boring to me.

They were the last bastion of freedom, no ABS, traction contol, no rider aids. The late 90's early 00's were the last of the best for me.

A bike should want to kill you, not cuddle you.

Like you I would rather see a tidy 90's bike with period tuning parts rather than the latest Ducati.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree 100% with Stevo. Although I've never really strayed from Fireblades, it became pretty obvious that my neck and back muscles were not going to stand the strain for much longer. Although I'm giving the Aprilia a good run, and now its been 'relaxed' considerably is far more comfortable, its obviously far more bike that I really need, or can actually use. Not that I am down to pottering about, just yet. Its that a blip of the throttle has it sitting at really, no argument, go to jail speeds quite happily, these days its just inviting trouble.
Now, I've rebuilt or repaired hundreds of bikes over the years, always had a sneaky ride, just to see what they are like. Of them all, the one that seemed to stand out for pure usefulness, comfort, cost and above all, performance is the ZZR600. I can honestly say that that particular model is all I should ever, really need on UK roads. A decent rear shock and Nissin calipers, there you go....

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's nothing inherently wrong with the electronic stuff on modern bikes, if you do lots of track days, the gizmos could save you on repair bills. Its the lack of character that most seem to lack. No matter how many cylinders or cc.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike has an ecu but in terms of rider aids, there's nothing.
Not even a fuel gauge.
It's not something I'm bothered about or hanker for, I've been on lots of bikes with all sorts of adjustments but I just leave things alone and ride the thing.
I don't mind modern bikes but it would be better to be able too choose whether to have gizmos or just to have a really basic bike, like mine.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:14 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've pretty well given up riding now. OK, it came to a crunch when I had heart problems but it was heading that way anyway.

However that wouldn't stop me wanting a bike from my formative years, a 70's/80's stroker, or from the other thread, an RE5 but it would be as a Sunday pub ride and pose machine only.

It could probably just as easily be an old car or a historic boat as a bike though.

It's called growing old I think. Wink

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The late '90s is currently my preferred era, in large part because I've got a zx9r and I like it a lot. Of course, price comes into it too. But - I've ridden bikes with flawless EFI, and bikes with hunty carbs. However in general, I've found carbs smoother. This, and the fact that electronic gadgets of any sort cause me anxiety, means I prefer the comparative simplicity of mechanical, electro mechanical and analogue tech and spec. I'm not ruling anything out in the future though.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Bikes then and now. Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I've just been reading about a restoration of a 1992 Yamaha FZR 600, and found it really interesting in regards to the specifications.

1992. That's virtually brand new.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Grandad couldn't stand "Modern shite". The Modern bike being a Kettle at the time he want on a 5 minute rant about it. Even though he doesn't like me very much, he's left me his Bantam, he knows that I'll look after it and I'll ride it. He wishes he never sold his Vincent. That was a "proper bike". He was rather less complimentary about the ZZR1100 - "Jap Scrap, get it the feck off my drive or I'll kick it over" - He was on sticks, but meant every word of it.

I like all sorts from all ages. I'd take a 70's muscle bike or an MT-10. 40's AJS or a Ducati 916, or the new V4. Sometimes your tastes change, sometimes bikes change and don't match your tastes.

I do however, hold an abiding hate for Harley's and a lot of the excrement they have started leaking to other areas. The bikes are not so much a problem as the fan club and ego's surrounding the bloody things.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting that. Really. There is learning in your psot. I have been havincg cider, but still.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

I do however, hold an abiding hate for Harley's and a lot of the excrement they have started leaking to other areas. The bikes are not so much a problem as the fan club and ego's surrounding the bloody things.

I get this.

There are definitely some Harleys I would have in my fantasy garage, but I could never buy into the 'lifestyle', which is probably what's stopped me from ever getting one.

I will have a Buell Ulysses at some point though, which completely avoids the arseless chaps scenario.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:51 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Bikes then and now. Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

I get where your coming from and that maybe an old bike or a classic should be an older generation machine. But 1990's bikes now need restoring especially anything sporty, cheap, with sketchy build quality that was thrashed and crashed to oblivion back in the day.

It makes me happy seeing FZR's CBR's RGV's etc etc restored as most would otherwise have been scrapped or broken for spares by now, and then before you know it that's a generation of bikes your never going to see again.

Remember classic bikes are getting younger as the older generations die out and the 80's&90's rider's get all soppy and nostalgic.

In 15years I doubt they'll be anyone alive who knows how to rebuild a magneto etc, and the value and popularity of old British bikes will drop massively. They are only valuable or desirable to those old enough to remember them.

One day people will go mad restoring 90's twist and go's and CBR/YZF 125's etc as that's what they had growing up. And after that well interest and riders of bikes has slowly disappeared until there's nothing.

The only rise in people getting into bikes in recent times is mature newbies, and having never had bikes before they won't care about old/retro stuff just the here and now on PCP instead.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:46 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Bikes then and now. Reply with quote

552hp/t for the ZX6R
436hp/t for the FZR
That's a 27% increase in power to weight ratio.

If that continued as it is, we'd expect to see our 2011 bike making 701hp/t and the bike in three years making 890hp/t.
So, that might, say, be a 160kg bike that makes 142hp!

I do think since, that development has slowed - certainly in the 600 class. And in commuter bikes where it's often actually gone backwards, with heavier AND slower bikes!

I still fancy a 200hp trackbike, but suspect the itch would be better scratched with some racing (let's ignore I've only done 2 1/2 trackdays in the last two years.)

Also fancy trying a new R6.

Even the FZR is a bit faster than I'd normally choose for peak-fun-specs for the road.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:51 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are two things which hold back bike development. One is emissions, and other rules and regulations that limit how mad the public is willing to accept a road vehicle to be. The manufacturers have got paranoid about this once or twice in the past, with "gentlemen's agreements" on power limits.

The second is, how much can the average bike riding individual handle anyway? If you aim your bikes at the top tier of riding god, there must be a worry that everyone else would just go out and kill themselves on them. Hence power modes. You don't want a bike that dumps 200bhp through the rear wheel the second you so much as look at the throttle grip, not on the road anyway. Well, most people don't.

How much further could you go with outright performance and handling anyway? A human's reaction times can only develop so much, there surely has to be a limit to what even the very best can deal with.

My own limit sits with my 140-ish bhp Fazer. In fact, I'm sure even that is more capable than I can get from it, or dare to try. But that level of power gives me the kind of power/torque/whatever characteristics I like, and can live with. Another 60-odd bhp? No thanks. Not unless you resurface all our roads and remove at least 50% of the other traffic on them.

So if I were still drooling over what I could buy with unlimited funds (buy and own, as opposed to try out of curiosity), older bikes sometimes make more sense, simply from a capability point of view.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Bikes then and now. Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

I get where your coming from and that maybe an old bike or a classic should be an older generation machine.

Sorry, I didn't mean "it's too recent to be worth restoring", just that "It's newer than most I've done restoration on". No "dig" intended at all.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:09 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesnt everyone always have nostalgia glasses on?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:25 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:

Not always for me. I keep them clean and handy for when I do want them, but they're not in constant use. Anything can disappoint with too much use.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:25 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:

I would agree, but then the 90's were the golden years of motorcycling. The regulations were loose, no EURO emissions testing, and manufacturers used fancy materials and other components.

Motorcycles were just made better, with better materials and less restrictions. If you've ever seen a 919RR (last gen.) up close and compared it to what's cool today, you would not believe how cheap motorcycles got. Yes, there are still manufacturers who are not afraid to use fancy materials and components, but those bikes are way beyond the reach of the most of us.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:28 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:

Maybe. But personally after riding tons of rats and falling apart bikes the first newish pointy thing I bought (A CBR) made me get stuck at this point of bike development.

The new ones (CBRs) aren't as good as the old ones.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
AshWebster wrote:

I would agree, but then the 90's were the golden years of motorcycling. The regulations were loose, no EURO emissions testing, and manufacturers used fancy materials and other components.

I could equally argue that the 80s were the golden age. It's when the manufacturers started to leave behind tubular steel cradle frames, got serious about mono shock suspension, started to experiment more with engines - oil cooling, water cooling became established, 5 valve heads, downdraught carbs, even turbochargers. It's when technology from the track first began to have a serious impact on how road bikes performed and handled. It felt to me like a decade where many old ideas were thrown away and new ones tried. It was a decade of experimentation.

The 90s to me was more a decade of refinement and improvement (in some cases) of what the 80s kicked off.

Question

I should probably say that I'm thinking about the Jap manufacturers more than anything. But they put it all more within the financial reach of the average rider than anyone else.

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:41 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
I will have a Buell Ulysses at some point though, which completely avoids the arseless chaps scenario.

Could be worse, could be chapless arses.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:42 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh hell this just turned into a when I was a boy thread...
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my point of view is obvious from my signature.

I hate EFI.

Not a big fan of water cooling.

Cartridge forks and 17" radial tyres are nice though.

I just can't bring myself to ride something i'm not interested in. I'm sure there's plenty of more suitable bikes for commuting to work than a GSXR1100L and lots that are faster than my YR5 yet do more than 40 miles to a tank of fuel. But I wouldn't give them garage space cause they don't have character or the same involvement of ownership.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:12 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, for me - I'd go with the first gen R6, R1 and ZX10 (new ZX10 that is) as being the seminal mix of performance and fiestyness. (Excusing the Tokico brakes on the Kwak.)
GSXR1000 a bit too sanitised.

Since then - bikes have definitely got faster, but also easier to ride and more santised. While these seemed to have more 'edge' than a lot of previous models.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 222 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4