Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bikes then and now.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to agree with the 'like what you ride' thing, as im not into bikes for lap times, ease of use, and having my inputs managed so that 200bhp can be semi utilised without hospital or gravel trap rash etc.

But I'm now one of them nostalgia weirdos, and being honest it's all that's keeping me interested in bikes in 2018. I wanted tech and the best thing I could get in the 90's, didn't everyone?
But there my interest peaked. I appreciate the 70's diversity and Japanese engine performance, the 80's space race, and the 90's my company's bike is better than yours competition.

I like now that I could buy an 80's or 90's bike and have it look and work far better than it did when I was young and skint and wouldn't have wanted to do major work on an old bike.

I think the only thing left that I feel passionate about and grabbed by now is 80's off road bikes. You say road bikes improved in huge race bred leaps back then, well I think MX bikes were even more on cliff like ascent to the top, and to a lesser extent so were trials bikes. I'd love to restore a couple of 125/250 MX bikes just a couple of year or so apart, as the difference between some was massive as it was in the late 80's-90's Italian 125 sports bike class. Last year's bike was no good to be desirable, so it made the manufacturers work much harder and out spend themselves until it got silly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:36 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
You say road bikes improved in huge race bred leaps back then, well I think MX bikes were even more on cliff like ascent to the top, and to a lesser extent so were trials bikes. I'd love to restore a couple of 125/250 MX bikes just a couple of year or so apart, as the difference between some was massive as it was in the late 80's-90's Italian 125 sports bike class. Last year's bike was no good to be desirable, so it made the manufacturers work much harder and out spend themselves until it got silly.

I've never been into off-road and off-road styles, but it doesn't really surprise me if this is the case. Why wouldn't it be?

Itchy wrote:
Oh hell this just turned into a when I was a boy thread...

Didn't it start as that? Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

I do however, hold an abiding hate for Harley's and a lot of the excrement they have started leaking to other areas. The bikes are not so much a problem as the fan club and ego's surrounding the bloody things.

I will have a Buell Ulysses at some point though, which completely avoids the arseless chaps scenario.

I'd have a Buell in a heartbeat. XB12, maybe a Lightning. 1125's were very interesting.

But I'd not have a Harley. Ever.
A mate got an older one (not sure which is which, I want to say Panhead?). He had no end of spacktards talking his ear off about their FLXTZHSIFJGRNGOMGWTFBBQ with all the trimmings that's done 100 miles in 2 years. He loved the bike, nice and relaxed, good for plodding around when he wanted a break from his Blackbird, but the fanclub eventually made him get rid of it. That alone would make me wary without the negative "interactions" I've personally had with them.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been one for having the latest, greatest, fashionable thing. I do my research, blend that with what my heart wants and buy what comes out. I'm then almost always happy with it for as long as it lasts. I'd happily still have my 1983 Aiwa FX-30 Hi-Fi https://i.ytimg.com/vi/7YICN0Gc2k8/maxresdefault.jpg topped with a PX-30 fully automatic turntable but 5 years ago it had to be replaced after two or three repairs over the years. The modern replacements aren't as good despite splashing out an equivalent amount (a month's wages.) Sure, it was bang on trend back in '83 but my point is, I was happy with it thereafter. I didn't feel the need to change it after a couple of years. I'm the same with cars; get something you like, then run it into the ground.

Back to bikes, I only got into them in the mid-to late 90's, passing my test in '98. Consequently that's my biking era. I have a 2003 R1 (first of the fuel-injected R1s, least powerful [the 150bhp feels massive!] but lightest, prettiest and still simple). I've wondered what a modern Litre-bike would feel like but am not that bothered. I doubt it would be better on the road. However I miss those early days when I ached for something, be it the Aiwa in Buzzards' window ("she will be mine, oh yes!") or a ZXR400. Actually I still want a ZXR400, or a RGV250. It's a bad idea these days but still... want.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:49 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it. I honk about on a '91 VFR750. Had an absolute hoot last weekend on some pretty challenging roads. We also had a 155bhp '92 GSXR1100 oilboiler, a '97 GSXR 11 and '97 blackbird on the run. All had a whale of a time.

Depending on what you get, stick some modern springs and brakes on. As you say, the motors have plenty of power to be arsing about on public roads, the chassis were just hitting the point of being able to cope with the power. The brakes on a lot of them were rubbish (but your FZR isn't one of those). All the springs will be tired by now and they were made for little Japanese guys in the first place anyway go get them changed.

Try to pick one you can fit some decent modern rubber to.

Or get a '98 R1.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:13 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
RGV250. It's a bad idea these days but still... want.

There is a very old post on here about an RGV250 project that was never finished.

In short he increased it to 320cc and reduced the weight to 101kilos casting alloy wheels etc.

He never finished it and simply vanished.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:32 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I could equally argue that the 80s were the golden age. It's when the manufacturers started to leave behind tubular steel cradle frames, got serious about mono shock suspension, started to experiment more with engines - oil cooling, water cooling became established, 5 valve heads, downdraught carbs, even turbochargers. It's when technology from the track first began to have a serious impact on how road bikes performed and handled. It felt to me like a decade where many old ideas were thrown away and new ones tried. It was a decade of experimentation.

The 90s to me was more a decade of refinement and improvement (in some cases) of what the 80s kicked off.

Question

I should probably say that I'm thinking about the Jap manufacturers more than anything. But they put it all more within the financial reach of the average rider than anyone else.

Yes, refined and improved. I've had, ridden, worked on motorcycles from the 80's, 90's and even some recent motorcycles and quality wise, the 80's and 90's are on the same level (Suzuki was always somehow lacking), but the materials and components (brakes, suspension, frames...) were top notch in the 90's. Motorcycles were also very light and powerful, plus all those racer replica bikes in the 90's (EDIT: And early 2000's). You could pretty much buy diluted WSBK bikes and ride them on the open road.

Back to the 919RR, I haven't seen a motorcycle made and engineered this well ever since.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:21 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a serious shortage of photographs in this thread.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:56 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:

https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/VFR/1CIMG1610_zps4f9ecba6.jpg

https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/VFR/1CIMG1604_zps14b8a522.jpg

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:

Old tat you say?

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1892/42802849270_e9157ae438_b.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1851/44613657271_9a3706b675_b.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1856/44563252612_e4143100fe_b.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1856/30742234798_0580f78298_b.jpg

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:07 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
struan80 wrote:

Old tat you say?

See, my nostalgia glasses were clean and ready Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:50 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:

Both mine.

https://i.imgur.com/8tJdNis.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7D3aK03.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9T3muIa.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:20 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=206192&view=previous
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

andi
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:49 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a 2001 Blade. More power than I am able or dare to use. Content.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r751/trevor_machine/P1040248_zpswcyvnngb.jpg

https://oi1365.photobucket.com/albums/r751/trevor_machine/P1040239_zpsgqwcl9ka.jpg

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics?

This is my 113K, 22yr old...
https://i.imgur.com/yyKbz6Gl.jpg

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite funny to read about tft screens, traction control and the new gadgets that everyone 'needs', yet a 1980's xl600 had a chain tensioner that most bikes should now use. Do we really need a multi colour rev display? Tech for techs sake hase spoiled inherent riding skill.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:03 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
It's quite funny to read about tft screens, traction control and the new gadgets that everyone 'needs', yet a 1980's xl600 had a chain tensioner that most bikes should now use. Do we really need a multi colour rev display? Tech for techs sake hase spoiled inherent riding skill.

I know what you're saying, and am inclined to agree that riders are mollycoddled with tech these days, but riding skill has never been "inherent" in all. There were always good and bad riders. I would think that the good riders today are probably every bit as good as those of yesteryear. What they might not be so good at, is dealing with a bike that doesn't handle great or stop well. But I'd say it was a good thing that poor handling - and I mean really poor handling as in bendy frame, truly awful suspension kind of handling - and totally ineffective brakes, especially in the wet, is a comparatively rare thing these days.

Power modes - well, if the full power is beyond someone's ability to manage, then perhaps they should buy a less powerful bike, or one with kinder power characteristics, in the first place.
Personally, I've never particularly wanted ABS even - just give me a bike with brakes that work well and have a decent amount of feel. If a bike doesn't have that, then it's not the bike for me.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:18 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chickenstrip, same hymn sheet. But, if abs has never saved you and a 1200gs adventure from a huge fail......you ..?..maybe haven't played fat bike lottery.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:53 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think rider aids detract from skill, assuming you have learned that skill in the first place. If you have ABS, you are not going to learn cadence braking, if you have throttle limiting electronics, you won't learn to be as smooth on it, etc.. While I think these are all nice things to have, and in some cases, essential, maybe it's a good idea to learn on an older bike that doesn't have them?

By the same token, my experience with these aids is very limited. Would my instinct to cadence brake in certain situations cause issue with ABS?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:40 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Chickenstrip, same hymn sheet. But, if abs has never saved you and a 1200gs adventure from a huge fail......you ..?..maybe haven't played fat bike lottery.

Apart from big, heavy, air-cooled litre+ bikes from earlier times, no, I haven't. The point being, why buy a bike that needs that, when there are better options? Why load the dice right from the get-go?

Taking the 1200GS example, most folks who do truly all-terrain 'adventure' riding find the things too bloody heavy in the first place. And on the road, apart from maybe being very comfortable, they don't make a lot of sense to me either. But you don't need a bike to be huge and heavy for it to be comfortable. And it seems the people least able to handle that weight, i.e. older riders, are the silly sods that buy the things.

If people chose the right bikes for themselves, you could pretty much throw away all the rider aids and tech. This wouldn't mean you couldn't have something with good performance or that was fun. Just that it was manageable when you needed it to be. Power modes are one way of doing that I suppose, but my own bike shows me that they aren't necessary to be safe. So why pay for it?

This has often been my gripe with technology. Instead of addressing real problems or requirements, tech companies often come up with solutions to problems you never even knew were there in the first place. Market them right, and suddenly everyone wants them. But they don't need them.

[/old git grumble]

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understood power modes were marketed as "rider aids" but were in fact different fuel maps necessitated by low emission engines - so, your bike can run well on A roads, or it can run well around town. But without switching maps, that's not possible. In other words, they're not gizmos and gadgets, but essential fuelling components sold as gizmos and gadgets.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:52 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of VFR's...

It looks like I'm going to need to commute into London (not the ULEZ I believe) with a ride of approximately 1hr. I'm not going to take my Buell or my Street Triple, so I'm thinking of buying a bike specifically for this. My primary requirements are

Arrow Full fairing with decent weather protection
Arrow Comfortable - not too racy.
Arrow Decent torque, able to easily cruise on the motorway
Arrow Not tons of money, I can't afford it!

So I'm thinking VFR750 or the early VFR800FI... What are peoples thoughts on this?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:05 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

So I'm thinking VFR750 or the early VFR800FI... What are peoples thoughts on this?

Usual answer... ZX9R, with bar risers etc if you find the position a bit too racy?

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My early 2000's bikes..
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 220 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4