Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

problem with speedometer not working

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Chouiyekh
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:53 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: problem with speedometer not working Reply with quote

Hello, I own a Honda CBX250 TWISTER 2008, my problem is with speedometer not working i don't know where the problem is and from where to start checking and trying to find the problem where, please help me, is the problem coming from speedo cable or from speed sensor .. ect i took my bike to some technicians but the problem is with the parts are not available to test, so what need now, is to help me somehow to test my own parts related to speedometer if it work or not and which part is the problem coming from then i will buy the part from the internet.
thanks

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:49 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would remove the cable from the speedo clock and tie it nearby to see if the inner cable rotates when riding.
If not then remove the cable from the front wheel and try to rotate the inner cable by hand while watching the other end at the clock.

Chouiyekh
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:14 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
I would remove the cable from the speedo clock and tie it nearby to see if the inner cable rotates when riding.
If not then remove the cable from the front wheel and try to rotate the inner cable by hand while watching the other end at the clock.

thank you so much for your reply, by that we will test the speedo cable if it work or not, so i will keep you in touch, in my country it's 01:14 AM so now i'm going to sleep, and i will try that in the morning, thank you

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: speedo Reply with quote

You know of cmsnl ??

Find your bike on there for the exploded views which can only help.

Yes disconnect the speedo cable from the speedo head, the clock, and then rotate the front wheel, does the speedo inner cable turn ?

Insert a square section "probe" into the speedo head to act as a dummy cable and rotate in the direct of the speedo needle, does the speedo needle move ?

Has this problem started after removing/refitting the front wheel ???

If so then 10 to one its a bent "dog plate".............any takers...... :D

Chouiyekh
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:49 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried what you said and the speedo inner cable turn, when the front wheel rotate, so what next i can do ?

Chouiyekh
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:59 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know when the problem start, because i just bought the bike used condition not new, i bought it with the problem exist, i don't know how it's happened

I don't know of cmsnl what is it ?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be that the cable has worked loose at the speedo - I've seen that happen a few times. Try putting it all back together properly and see if it works.

Chouiyekh
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:43 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
It may be that the cable has worked loose at the speedo - I've seen that happen a few times. Try putting it all back together properly and see if it works.

i did another check, from the wheel to the Speedometer Gear to the to the speedo cable to the top of speedo cable everything is ok and working properly, all my doubts are in the speed sensor ( like in the picture )

https://www.totalparts.nl/picture/boonstra/300/000000242045-1.jpg

please help, any idea to test it (using multimeter or something else) because i didn't find the part like the one i have

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold on, the cable and inner cable is for the speedo clock (mph or kph).
The sensor wire is for the tacho clock ( engine revs per minute).
Which are you talking about????????????

Chouiyekh
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:43 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
Hold on, the cable and inner cable is for the speedo clock (mph or kph).
The sensor wire is for the tacho clock ( engine revs per minute).
Which are you talking about????????????

there is no problem with tacho clock, it work properly. but i'm talking about speedo clock mph/Km. focus with me, the speedo cable is coming from the wheel to the speed sensor (i've attached the picture before) and i'm sure that the sensor is for speed clock not for the tacho clock

look at this illustration i drew

https://i.imgur.com/1JT6CIZ.png

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

New on me and cannot help any more,
https://www.google.com/search?q=Honda+CBX250+TWISTER+2008+speedo+cable&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjMwdSBubHdAhWJKVAKHc4pDdQQsAR6BAgGEAE&biw=1440&bih=763#imgrc=EcjdCzoe6SQe-M:

Chouiyekh
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:22 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:

the speedo cable works fine i'm sure, it do it's job (send the wheel rotation to the sensor), anyway thank you so much for your tries, waiting for others to help

cresad
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:18 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I've had a look at the pics/diagrams on that link and it looks like there is a cable that connects to a speed sensor then to the clocks. If you've checked the cable turns when the front wheel rotates but when connected to the sensor doesn't move speedo needle then it does look like you might have a problem with either the sensor or the clocks.
You have 2 options , change the sensor and hope that sorts it or get a second set of clocks and test it by attaching them to you system.

Don't know of a way of testing the output from the sensor unfortunately.

Adam
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site shows you how to test a speed sensor - it's quite straightforward. Thumbs Up

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-toolbox/testing-2-and-3-wire-speed-sensors/28754

Chouiyekh
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:42 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
This site shows you how to test a speed sensor - it's quite straightforward. Thumbs Up

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-toolbox/testing-2-and-3-wire-speed-sensors/28754

one thing is not clear here, how much voltage i have to give to my sensor to test it without damaging

Chouiyekh
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:44 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

cresad wrote:
Hi

I've had a look at the pics/diagrams on that link and it looks like there is a cable that connects to a speed sensor then to the clocks. If you've checked the cable turns when the front wheel rotates but when connected to the sensor doesn't move speedo needle then it does look like you might have a problem with either the sensor or the clocks.
You have 2 options , change the sensor and hope that sorts it or get a second set of clocks and test it by attaching them to you system.

Don't know of a way of testing the output from the sensor unfortunately.

Adam

the problem is the parts, i didn't find them in my country and even on the internet, i find it only on Brazilian websites and they aren't ship to outside of Brazil !

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chouiyekh wrote:
Islander wrote:

one thing is not clear here, how much voltage i have to give to my sensor to test it without damaging

It's most likely to be 12v. However, you should be able to measure the required voltage at the connector - in fact, with a bit of care you can probably test it in situ.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 221 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1