Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Riding on the A38

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

luckycloud94
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:50 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Riding on the A38 Reply with quote

Hey guys, just passed my CBT and about to get a 125cc.

As far as I know I'm allowed to ride on the A38 (Correct me if I'm wrong)
and motorways are the only thing off limits?

I need to travel from Stafford to Derby for University
The journey is about 30ish Miles, So i'd be doing about 60 miles a day depending on when my classes are.

I just have a couple of questions.

How many miles can the average tank on a 125cc get me?
Is this a bit too much of a journey and do you think it's silly to try?

Thanks for taking your time to read, apologies if I've posted this is the wrong forum.

BigTim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 02:18 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a young persons railcard (Get 3 year one online will be cheaper in long run) and use the trains, stafford via stoke to derby and then get uni bus.

maybe use bike on dry days but then rush hour traffic on that stretch is fucking horrible.

A38 is a shit road to be on without power. you'd be stuck in left hand lane and at nearly every slip road HGVs be joining and all you could do is slow down and let em in cos no power to go in right hand lane where every fucker is doing 70 -100 mph!

you need decent gear, waterproof etc. summers over, gonna be wet cold and dark, artics up your arse, even overtaking you when strong headwind.

be safe

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:37 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Tim makes a fair point .. but, you want to ride a bike, so, if you want to, go for it !

The A38 isn't that much fun, quite a dull road, however, I was doing 80 miles a day on my first 125 for a while, and it was fine. I've seen part that stretch of the A38 get really snarled up with traffic, but on pretty much any 125, you'll be able to filter without problem, once you're used to it. I've also commuted by train in the past, that can be sole destroying, I know which I prefer ..

Are you in uni 5 days a week?

However, if you do intend to ride it, you will probably need some 'spare' boots etc, just so you have the option of a dry pair, if your main pair, etc are still wet from your last ride, invest in some waterproof over clothes

If you do find the traffic really bad, you could always use the A518, A50 (another dull road, but doesn't seem to get quite as snarled), A38 when you're virtually in Derby, and already in amongst the slow moving commuter traffic.

If you like that route, then you can always pop along the odd Tuesday evening to the Blythe Inn, just off the A518, not far from Uttoxeter.

Personally, whist using the 125, I would also be working towards getting an A2, well, you'll be 19 soon, if not already, you can get he theory done and out of the way ready..

Be prepared to keep on top of maintenance and keeping the bike clean, especially once the gritters have been out to play, and for some time afterwards, invest in some ACF-50 Smile

GravitasLacki...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:42 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Honda CB125F which I've been doing a 15-20 mile commute each way on for the past month or so.

My experiences of the A34 suggest that the A38 will be a not fun experience. You feel very vulnerable as the bike will only go up to about 60 (less uphill) its just generally a bit shit. I've been on it a few times and now avoid it like the plague.

My bike does about 250 miles between fill ups (I usually fill up with about 25% of the tank left) costs me about £12 usually.

As others say, being warm and dry in shit weather means needing decent waterproofs. Also a helmet with a pinlock visor is probably a good idea (I have a lot of misting problems on cold mornings without one).

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what 125 you get. Some can get 200 miles + from a tank.

For distance on A roads, you would be better with something in the A2 class. Since you're at uni, I'd suggest you're 18, bad luck, you'll have to wait a year for that.

In the meantime, get your 125, but do the theory, Mod1 and Mod2 on your own bike, in your own time. 3 major benefits to this;
1) you get to remove your L plates, you look less of a target to some road users,
2) You've already done the tests so the second you turn 19, you can hire a bigger bike and get your A2 easily because you know exactly how the tests go down/ and,
3) You have a full licence so, if you haven't got a car licence, you'll be working down your time limit of the new driver, 6 points to lose your licence in the first 2 years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once rode my CBF125 to a TRF meeting at Coventry motorycle museum. Was regretting the choice of steed on the way there. When I came out though, the traffic was near gridlocked, and the 125 just slipped through the smallest of gaps with ease.

Your journey can be done. But, TBH rather you than me, it will really suck in wind and driving rain - as you have to get ready to study all wet and cold.

However.... I used to commute 20 miles each way, every day on a Superdream for a few years.

So, no, I don't think it is silly to try. I think it would be a good idea to find some other routes, put some B roads in the mix, so you don't always do the same route.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:26 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When at Cov Uni, p[robably your life-time plus a bit back, I commuted for about two terms, from Stafford; it's about 50miles each way, on an AR125, mostly using the A34... nice-ish run till you hit Cannock!

A38? Not a HOPE! I'd be loath to tackle that particular nightmare on a regular, or even occasional basis in a car, let alone a bike.. any bike! Its a nutty bit of road with far too many Audichoch's rushing from country cottage to city job, believing they have the right of way regardless!!!

But, it's your ass kimosabi... and it'll be younger, number and dumber than mine, these days!

Get a full licence.... L is for Learner, NOT test dodging commuter, then contention over M-Ways no longer... I occasionally used M6 for my uni-commute... and if you aint up to tests... well, then you aint up to dodging Audi-Cochs whatever the time of day, so you ent up to commuting, either.

Pick an alternative route... there's always an alternative, and usually prettier.

Take your Time! Rushin be fast way to hurt on a motorbike!

30miles is aprox an hours journey.... if you only have a one hour lecture twixt commutes.... it will hit your attendance record, when you REALLY CBA to face the homicidal maniacs for that small time....

Remote accommodation, is also to cut yourself off from the social scene, which is more than half what uni is about... you wont be 'popping home' to change between lectures and the xyz-soc kariokee soccer match with a woman on your shoulders... or whatever! Or 'just' sticking a fiver in your shorts for the cab-far home when you'r over the Drink-Drive limit!!!!

So the 'plan' is far from ideal... but it IS doable....

300miles a week, though will be around two tanks of fuel; most 125'd hold around 2-3 gallons, and maybe claim 100mpg so 250mils 'ish' range.

Bashing the by-pass for large chunks of your run, though, struggling to hold 60mph, whilst blitzen-blimmers try and give you an Audi-Enema trying to do 90 till the last three feet before the off ramp.... aint fun, and you will struggle to get better mpg from anything; it'll likely fall into the 75mpg region... maintenance will also be a big deal; you will need to do oil-changes every 1500 miles or so, that'll be once a month minimum, just on commuter miles; you'll need check C&S every day, probably tension every week... add fill ups and this will add even more to your overall 'time' to travel.... bike does save inconvenient non arriving busses and stuff, but, the overhead of oiling and greasing and checking the bike, can be as onerouse.

It also gets rather tiresome HAVING top ride, as days start to get shorter and weather colder and wetter... and more dangerouse as Audicochs have even more excuse not to spot you, in the dark, with just one tail-lamp!

End of the day... a 125 aught be as fast as anything is legally allowed to go in this country..... trouble is little else does stick to legal speeds! And 30 miles each way, is a chunk of commuter miles and time, however you try do it.... if you must, or really want to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why so negative everybody?? Trying to put somone off riding their bike before they even start !! Is a 125 ideal on the A38, or A50? No probably not, will it be horrendous? Again, for the most part, probably not, just a bit dull, and, if you do find it that bad, perhaps a weekend fair weather rider will be more suited to you. Commuting 30miles each way, EVEN on a 125 and EVEN on the A38/A50 really isn't particularly onerous, and there is even joy to be had, whilst filtering past all those just sat in the traffic. The A38 though, still wouldn't be my first choice of route, but that's just personal preference having both ridden and driven the route on numerous occasions, not based on how dangerous it is or isn't !

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Why so negative everybody??

cos most of us have done it, or similar, and it sucked

GravitasLacki...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:47 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:
Why so negative everybody??

Its not that you CAN'T on a 125, its just that it is a really un-enjoyable experience which i would not recommend.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

As have I, and I didn't find it especially unenjoyable, the day after getting my CBT, I started an 80 mile round trip commute, from Wolves to Solihull, and immediately found it infinitely better than in the car. Obviously, once I'd passed my test, being able to ride a bigger bike, and on the motorway when I chose, was better, but, even then I still rode the 125 occasionally.

As it happens, my commute, on the occasions I have to go into the office, is now a 120 mile round trip. I wouldn't recommend that on a 125, but even on a 250 it was perfectly doable, but really, that's where the 650 has come into it's own. I'm lucky/unlucky, depending on how you view it, in that I mostly work from home now, I've only been in the office 4 times since January !!

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 11:05 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
the day after getting my CBT, I started an 80 mile round trip commute, from Wolves to Solihull, and immediately found it infinitely better than in the car.

Going down the A-Roads through Oldbury and WestBrom, I'd be terrified on a bike.... Ov thu Nay-Teev-es, Loik!...... Wuden bee muuch bettah in car t'beeyonist... but'leest 'y'cun loCK thedooowuz!

Did they let a black-countryer in to Solihull? Last I heard they were contemplating a Channel Islands style £Million bond for visitors, and proposals from the US Federal covernment to put a barb-wire fence up along the Coventry road to keep natives of Sheldon at bay!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Going down the A-Roads through Oldbury and WestBrom, I'd be terrified on a bike.... Ov thu Nay-Teev-es, Loik!...... Wuden bee muuch bettah in car t'beeyonist... but'leest 'y'cun loCK thedooowuz!

Did they let a black-countryer in to Solihull? Last I heard they were contemplating a Channel Islands style £Million bond for visitors, and proposals from the US Federal covernment to put a barb-wire fence up along the Coventry road to keep natives of Sheldon at bay!

Haha !! The black country route, and through soho, is fine, more so on a bike, maybe that's why I don't find the A38 all the troublesome? !! I should point out I'm not a yam yam, I just reside here, originally I'm from Manchester

BigTim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:33 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

as others have suggested try and get an alternative route.

in winter you could be commuting in the dark each way.

Get a Hi Vis, you won't have the power to get away from trouble so you need to stand out, don't just depend on your lights being seen.

Decent gloves, as someone said spare gear for when other stuff drying out.

make sure you do full obs at all times, you'd be amazed how quick a car can just appear behind you.

by all means try it, it could (Edit: WILL) be a really good learning experience.

cheers

Last edited by BigTim on 12:15 - 11 Sep 2018; edited 1 time in total

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 11:59 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
originally I'm from Manchester

Oh! So your used to armed guards outside the chippy then?!?
I come from Stratford, went to school in Henley, and worked in Hall Green.... apparently the accent shifts as I travel!... bizarrely turning into oy-rish as I go through Digbeth!

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:06 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

as much as i hate public transport,

i'd rather use it than ride a 60 mile round trip on a 125 to uni every day, and thats even before we talk about weather / maintenance / other road users.

my two pence.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
as much as i hate public transport,

i'd rather use it than ride a 60 mile round trip on a 125 to uni every day, and thats even before we talk about weather / maintenance / other road users.

my two pence.

So, taking it as the OP lives at Stafford train station, which I'm sure he doesn't, you would rather swap around 1 hours travel, each way, for a minimum of 2 hours each way, thus adding at least 10 hours a week to their commute, based on being in uni 5 days a week, not only that but traveling daily by public transport, is not particularly friendly on the pocket. I know which option I'd take..

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:19 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Why so negative everybody?? Trying to put somone off riding their bike before they even start !! Is a 125 ideal on the A38, or A50? No probably not, will it be horrendous? Again, for the most part, probably not, just a bit dull, and, if you do find it that bad, perhaps a weekend fair weather rider will be more suited to you. Commuting 30miles each way, EVEN on a 125 and EVEN on the A38/A50 really isn't particularly onerous, and there is even joy to be had, whilst filtering past all those just sat in the traffic. The A38 though, still wouldn't be my first choice of route, but that's just personal preference having both ridden and driven the route on numerous occasions, not based on how dangerous it is or isn't !

We are burying a relative next week who died following a crash on the A38 last month. It seems to be closed at least a couple of times a week.

My first 125 I commuted from Nottingham to Bardon Hill, and back each day for work. It wasnt fun, but I certainly learnt a lot about riding that winter, and also how being warm is not about being nesh but being able to control the bike properly.

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:51 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a Rainpal the road ahead (A38) will not be clear.

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:53 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a Rainpal the road ahead (A38) will not be clear.

tactical_pancake
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:29 - 25 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A38 is a pretty shit road imo, I don't do it much as a result. That said I can't see from the map how the A38 is particularly useful as a route between stafford and derby, except maybe the last bit. A50 and A518 will probably suck in the dark, especially on a 125.

If I was going that way, I'd be tempted by Abbots Bromley reservoir, Needwood, Tutbury, is a little longer but far less traffic and nicer scenery. Or maybe investigate Cubley lane to the north, that looks like a long straight country bit.

Trouble is that whole route there are no 'nice' fastish routes. The A515 is nice enough but no use to you as it is north south.

If it were me I'd think of changing uni to stafford (they must have some sort of uni there surely?), or renting a cheap student room in derby. Or get a job straight off, uni is overrated.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:48 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busy dual carriageway is not fun. It's not particularly steep anywhere so you might be ok. It's not fun when HGVs tailgate you or overtake ving you a few inches of space becasue your bike can't do 56 on an incline.

Ideally you want a bike as close to the 15bhp limit for 125s as possible. There are far to many in the region of 8-10 bhp i consider suicide on wheels on a dual carriageway.

Conversely a 33bhp (pre A2 rules restricted) bike is plenty enough to not have to worry about doing 56 to 80 fast enough to comfortably get in outside lane when traffic is busy but fast.

Depending on the bike 100mpg or more is achieveable, I've done 280 miles on a Gz125 14 litre tank. Compare that to a range of 80 miles to reserve on my XV535 with a defective solenoid operated reserve and 150 to 180 miles before hitting reserve on a bandit.

Don't ride when it's icey. Don't be afraid to wear a waterproof oversuit. It will be shit in foul weather, although proper kit may mitigate this some. Get waterproof gloves that will tuck inside jacket or at least inside oversuit. You're better off using a tailpack or tankbag or strapping a rucksack to your pillion seat with rok straps than riding with it on your back.

Get A2 as soon as you can.

matto
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:12 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone has said above the A38 doesn't seem an obvious route between Stafford and Derby, I'd certainly be going A518 - A50... which is what I did for a bit when working in Stafford, the A518 is a decent road for a bike (apart from the dip full of mud from the farm) and the A50 is much safer than the A38.

The big problem with the A38 is it's narrowness coupled with vast stretches with no street lighting and the amount of HGVs that trundle up and down it while the drivers sit watching porn.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 121 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1