Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Graphics cards

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:52 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Graphics cards Reply with quote

I had a GTX 1050 and bought a Radeon RX470, the frame rates in the games I play do not seem that improved? it's a 4 gig card where as the 1050 is a 2 gig.

Whether or not the CPU is bottlenecking the new gpu? it's an I5 4460 with 16 gig of ram.

Not overly impressed to be honest, the £110 spent at CEX seems wasted at the moment.

I'm running Windows 10 pro (legit) have an SSD (nand 3d), any idea why I'm not seeing an improvement?

MechWarrior, Just Cause 3 and Battlefield V all seem the same FPS wise.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:25 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get MSI Afterburner, set it to display on screen all the things you want to know in real time. GPU utilisation, CPU utilisation, frame rate, frame times, GPU clock speed, CPU clock speed, ram, v-ram... that's what I do when I feel something's not quite right. The idea here is pretty much to find out, what's holding you back. If the CPU is pegged at 100%, it was before (with the previous card) and won't allow for more FPS to be drawn.

More V-RAM in general won't mean better gaming performance (frame rate). There is just more to it.

I'm not mentioning the latest GPU drivers, as that is an obvious one. Then, not all games favour all GPUs the same.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:33 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What frame rates are you getting, assuming your monitor is capable of supporting higher fps? My monitor is locked at 60 so useless for anything other than Xbox, yet games report upwards of 120 on my 1070Ti...

That CPU is a bit old now, 4 gens back... BF5 I'd expect to be OK but not fantastic anyway...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:05 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

After checking some benchmarks (having a day off and being bored), the CPU is your issue. You may either try to overclock it or replace it with a faster CPU (ebay).

You may also try the ''game mode'' that the win10 has. It should prioritise your game over anything that's running in the background and give you some performance boost.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 14:15 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you do any research?

1050 to a 470 isn't a massive leap.

https://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-RX-470-vs-GeForce-GTX-1050

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:32 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Did you do any research?

1050 to a 470 isn't a massive leap.

https://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-RX-470-vs-GeForce-GTX-1050

About 61%

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-vs-AMD-RX-470/3650vs3640

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replies.

This is from MechWarrior Online.

https://thumb.ibb.co/jQ4XEp/1.jpg https://thumb.ibb.co/gnUzup/2.jpg https://thumb.ibb.co/jCxV0U/3.jpg

I have no idea what that tells me.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
After checking some benchmarks (having a day off and being bored), the CPU is your issue. You may either try to overclock it or replace it with a faster CPU (ebay).

I think the best I5 would be a 4690 and probably would not yield much performance increase over the 4460, I could drop an I7 in but for gaming I am not sure it would be much of an improvement. I can't overclock as that chip is useless at it; even on an expensive board people struggle to get and extra 100mhz out of it. My board has no overclocking features.

Paddy. wrote:
What frame rates are you getting, assuming your monitor is capable of supporting higher fps? My monitor is locked at 60 so useless for anything other than Xbox, yet games report upwards of 120 on my 1070Ti...

That CPU is a bit old now, 4 gens back... BF5 I'd expect to be OK but not fantastic anyway...

I think with VSYNC on it is just 60mhz. I'd really need a full upgrade, DDR4 Ryzen or new Intel, either way hundreds of £ for a new rig that I can't justify. I could buy an I7 not sure if even that would be worth it.

I've deleted with driver cc cleaner all the old Nvidia drivers and all the ATi drivers and started afresh. The frame rate on MWO is an improvement over the 1050 but Just casue 3 is worse, I guess that game is designed to be played on Nvidia hardware.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:50 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Fanless....Soon....soon. Bounce!

Currently using the fanless 750ti and ready for an improvement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:58 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

Fanless is cool (well, not as cool as it could be Smile ), but nothing to pay extra for.

The 1050Ti is a 75W TDP chip, very efficient. I had one from Gigabyte (single fan version) and that fan only kicked in when the temperatures were really getting up, while even at the maximum load, for a long period of time, the fan was not audible at all, barely spinning. The loudest thing in the PC case was the HDD.

This one: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N105TD5-4GD#kf

EDIT: Do you think there's going to be a fanless GTX2050? Thinking

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 20:09 - 11 Sep 2018; edited 2 times in total

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:02 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
Thank you all for your replies.

This is from MechWarrior Online.

https://thumb.ibb.co/jQ4XEp/1.jpg https://thumb.ibb.co/gnUzup/2.jpg https://thumb.ibb.co/jCxV0U/3.jpg

I have no idea what that tells me.

GPU utilisation at 0% means it's either not doing anything at the moment (game is paused?) OR you are looking at a different value (thing), such as fan speed, or anything else that's shown in percentage.

The CPU not being maxed out is a good thing. Meaning it has still a plenty of computing power in reserve, in this game.

Go to the settings of the MSI afterburner, and there to ''monitoring'', there you'll see what is set as ''in OSD'' (on screen display) and what it means.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:53 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

Why do you require fanless? My machine is dead silent, like....zero noise. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whereas my PC has had all fans (9, I think) running on 110% through the summer if I do anything more intensive than internet browsing. Because having a desktop radiator is really what you need in a heatwave.
Going to have to plan an upgrade, I’m thinking 1060 6GB myself. Which then means that the cpu will be lagging behind and an upgrade won’t fit my mobo, so that’ll be new and I’m using DDR3 still so that’s got to go... the cycle continues.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:53 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need quiet when recording acoustic instruments, vocals and for critical mixing.

Fanless power supply, fanless cpu...gpu..and SSDs only.

When we had those hot days I did engage the intake and exhaust fans to tick over. Case is lined with a dense type of particle board and it has a pop-up chimney vent.

Passive cooling works for my requirements and the water cooling systems seem a little fiddly to setup.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:21 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point. My case is probably the souls reason, it's a cooler master silencio 550. Has sound proofing. I have 4 fans and can't hear it whilst on, it's brutal. Laughing

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RX470 doing fine, Just cause 3 was just a setting I'd ticked and now runs constantly at 60fps.

Silent as well, the fans don't spin until you game, normal desktop operation is silent.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:22 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
RX470 doing fine, Just cause 3 was just a setting I'd ticked and now runs constantly at 60fps.

Why have 60 when you can have 100?

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:23 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy thread hijack!

dydey90 wrote:
Going to have to plan an upgrade ... cpu will be lagging behind ... I’m using DDR3

Just been having a look into this and got two options (aside from new graphics)

-i7 8700K + 1151 socket mobo (means I don't need to upgrade my DDR3)
-Ryzen 7 2700X + AM4 mobo + 16GB DDR4

Price difference is around £40. What do?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:48 - 17 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y U NO Intel, i5 8600k + 16GB DDR4 be fappin'

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 17 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Y U NO Intel, i5 8600k + 16GB DDR4 be fappin'

If I go Intel, it’s because I can use my 24GB of DDR3 on a 1151 socket motherboard.

GTX 1060 is ordered now though, so I’ll have to see if my current cpu (8350 8-core I think) can hold up or not.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:50 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
GTX 1060 is ordered now though, so I’ll have to see if my current cpu (8350 8-core I think) can hold up or not.

I'm running the same CPU and graphics card with no issues.... only 8gb RAM though

Strangely my I7 laptop with 1050 seems to run just as fast though

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:48 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair, I need mine to give me some stick to the hardware as I stream and play on the same box... It seems to be quite intensive Crying or Very sad
Xbox through Elgato though, my box doesn't even complain Laughing

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTX 2080 ti

Ask yourself this: When you look back at your life, how much of it do you want to have not been ray traced? Wink

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:56 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
RTX 2080 ti

Ask yourself this: When you look back at your life, how much of it do you want to have not been ray traced? Wink

I know this might sound like what children of poor parents would say, but I'm going to wait for the 3rd. maybe 4th. gen of the RTX cards. At this point to have 1080p/30Hz Ray traced videogame for this kind of money, no, thank you. The 1070Ti I use right now is still alright.

Also, and this sounds like the above thing as well, in many games I can't even tell the difference, unless you give me 1:1 comparison OR a game that was specifically made with RT in mind. Yes the Nvidia RTX demos look amazing in comparison with RTX off footage, but they are showing you the most basic effects vs the latest rendering technology, to actually make the GTX 2080 Ti sound like a great deal.

Now the question is, are game devs gonna get lazy and will use only RT to do shadows and reflections, so the non RT gamers will have ugly games, OR they'll carry on using all the tricks to make games with beautiful soft shadows and lights using rasterisation and put the RT above that like something extra for the RTX cards owners? This reminds me of the PhysX games, that were made with PhysX in mind. With PhysX the games looked amazing, without the PhysX the devs didn't even put basic physical models there for the most obvious things on screen. Did this push people to buy more Nvidia cards?

TL; DR: Too expensive, not sure what impact will the RTX series have on game devs, the future of gaming. I might go full console peasant before I get a RTX card.

moppy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the current price of RTX cards, devs would have to be mad to only use RT methods when probably less than 5% of their customers have cards capable of using it.

If your £1200 2080Ti can't do 60fps at 1080p with RT on YOUR OWN DEMO, it's not a viable advancement. I'm glad Nvidia are doing new things in the lull when AMD can't really challenge them with a card anyway, but this is just not a reasonable upgrade for most people.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 190 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2