Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Blinded by the sun.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:17 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Blinded by the sun. Reply with quote

Once again its getting to the time of year when the sun hangs low enough in the sky to start continually blinding me while i'm riding.

My tinted+mirrored visor does nothing against the sun staring straight at me and my helmet doesn't have a peak to shadow my face.

What ways are there to not get blinded while riding during morning and evening commutes? Ive tried using both a tinted visor and a drop-down visor at the same time but then i can't see the traffic well enough for it to be any safer.

Are there any modifications to do to your helmet that would mitigate this or do you just have to ride while staring at the ground(going in another direction or at another time isn't an option for me)?

Thanks for the help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:19 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont look at the sun

ride away from the sun

ride at night

plan a route that makes u not look at the sun

sensible answer - double up , use tinted visor and sunglasses (i use tinted visor and my helmet has popdown sunvisor too)

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:24 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:

sensible answer - double up , use tinted visor and sunglasses (i use tinted visor and my helmet has popdown sunvisor too)

Ive tried that but its usually too dark to see most of the traffic. I will give it a go and see if it helps though. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Blinded by the sun. Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
Are there any modifications to do to your helmet that would mitigate this or do you just have to ride while staring at the ground

I was whinging about this here, about 12 months ago I suppose, and got some helpful answers. The best one - which works pretty well - is to stick a length of duct (duck?) tape along the top edge of your visor, about 1.5" deep, say. That acts in the same way as a flip-down car sunvisor; obviously you have to tilt your head forward a bit to position the sun behind the black stripe.

For an even more Cunning Plan, buy a second visor and put the duct tape on that so you can just pick whichever visor you want each time you go out, rather than having to peel off or restick the tape (which does tend to leave a residue).

Oh, and keeping the visor scrupulously clean and polished goes without saying, I hope.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:39 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Blinded by the sun. Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
adengtg wrote:
Are there any modifications to do to your helmet that would mitigate this or do you just have to ride while staring at the ground

I was whinging about this here, about 12 months ago I suppose, and got some helpful answers. The best one - which works pretty well - is to stick a length of duct (duck?) tape along the top edge of your visor, about 1.5" deep, say. That acts in the same way as a flip-down car sunvisor; obviously you have to tilt your head forward a bit to position the sun behind the black stripe.

For an even more Cunning Plan, buy a second visor and put the duct tape on that so you can just pick whichever visor you want each time you go out, rather than having to peel off or restick the tape (which does tend to leave a residue).

Oh, and keeping the visor scrupulously clean and polished goes without saying, I hope.

Right, will have to try that one, thanks for that!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:05 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iridium.

Carry a clear visor for when it gets dark.

Not just to avoid a PoPo tug but it is difficult to see things at night with tinted visors. Cool

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a "dual sport" (peaked) lid in winter. The peak is perfect for keeping out the worst of the glare, and the internal sunvisor takes care of the rest.

There's a fuckton of brands that have this style of lid, from cheap (Uber Baja) to really? (Icon Variant).

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say to try a sun strip like they have in cars/busses

Just buy a few bits of car window tint and put it over your visor/s

You can get it in different shades as well, if you're nearby I have plenty of 5% (limo black).

My commute doesn't go into the Sun so I never have this problem.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:07 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
I use a "dual sport" (peaked) lid in winter. The peak is perfect for keeping out the worst of the glare, and the internal sunvisor takes care of the rest.

There's a fuckton of brands that have this style of lid, from cheap (Uber Baja) to really? (Icon Variant).

Had a Bell MX-9, got stolen last Wednesday so i'm on a cheap sports lid atm. Probably will get a better helmet at xmas.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Had a Bell MX-9, got stolen last Wednesday so i'm on a cheap sports lid atm. Probably will get a better helmet at xmas.

Uber Baja, Under £50. Get a size bigger than you normally take, they're sized for pinheads.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the road not the sky

Found this helps unless road is wet and then also dazzles ypu

growler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:41 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/demon-tweeks-helmet-visor-sun-strip-sticker-507578/?sku=STIDTHVBFG&istCompanyId=a2904180-3a7d-4e56-b876-cf81c9512180&istItemId=-xpwalqttrw&istBid=t&gclid=CjwKCAjw8uLcBRACEiwAaL6MSfKrVdbsB9wlUs9Y8fwt9Hx3CTN3xMCf7Ag7gzI1y_4efWdri4mj0BoCKeMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds/

something like this
I googled Helmet sun strip and got loads of hits

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:53 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a strip of black electrical tape at the top of my visor. Tilt your head down and block out the light. One strip lasted 5 years so it is definitely a cheap solution Laughing .

My new lid has a flip down sun visor. It's ace, no more being blinded by the sun.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:23 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I commute in to the sun both ways and have a similar problem. I bought a pair of polarised sunglasses that have less tint that my summer ones and wear them. It doesn't completely illuminate it but it works a lot better than the 2nd flip down that has the same problem of just making things darker without stopping the glare. They are easy to take off and slip in my jacket pocket when the sun goes down too.

They were only £16 in the sale too.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Iridium.

Not just to avoid a PoPo tug but it is difficult to see things at night with tinted visors. Cool

Photo-chromatic transition visor, was expensive but well worth it IMO, no more pissing about carrying/swapping visors.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:11 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl wrote:
MCN wrote:
Iridium.

Photo-chromatic transition visor, was expensive but well worth it IMO, no more pissing about carrying/swapping visors.

Aye.. But they lose tint over time and are less sensitive in warm climate.

The material used to make them is crucial and plastic doesnt land its self well to this function.

Had them. Moved on.

A lid with flip down Sun screen works well. Only thing is that the sun screens have a fragile coating.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Aye.. But they lose tint over time and are less sensitive in warm climate.

The material used to make them is crucial and plastic doesnt land its self well to this function.

Had them. Moved on.

A lid with flip down Sun screen works well. Only thing is that the sun screens have a fragile coating.

Mine still fine 2 years on Eh?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDonnyBrago wrote:
I used to have a strip of black electrical tape at the top of my visor. Tilt your head down and block out the light.

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
stick a length of duct (duck?) tape along the top edge of your visor, about 1.5" deep, say. That acts in the same way as a flip-down car sunvisor; obviously you have to tilt your head forward a bit to position the sun behind the black stripe.
Wink
DrDonnyBrago wrote:
My new lid has a flip down sun visor. It's ace, no more being blinded by the sun.

Mine too, but for me, really not much use in this scenario IMHO. For full-on low winter sun which hit can you like a sledgehammer, it does bugger all for me. I concede though that I have found myself increasingly badly affected as I've got older, as my eyesight is less accommodating and slower to respond. Same would apply for photochromatic visors. For me, an opaque shade is the only way. (I toyed with the idea of blacking out the bottom edge of my sun visor actually, so I could deploy said shield only when necessary. Rejected on safety grounds, and because I like using the sun visor as-is on bright days)

growler wrote:

Hmm. But why would I want to pay money for my strip of duct tape to have "Demon Tweeks" emblazoned across it?

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:24 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a line of traffic, as we come around a corner and the driver in front of me gets blinded and slows down, then I slow down, I worry more about whether the car behind me can see that I'm slowing down.

In this situation I touch the brakes very lightly in order for my brake light to come on. That bright red light is a lot more visible than the narrow, dark blob that is my bike outlined by the orange furnace ahead of us.

+1 for keeping the visor extra clean.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:49 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johanna wrote:
In a line of traffic, as we come around a corner and the driver in front of me gets blinded and slows down, then I slow down, I worry more about whether the car behind me can see that I'm slowing down.

In this situation I touch the brakes very lightly in order for my brake light to come on. That bright red light is a lot more visible than the narrow, dark blob that is my bike outlined by the orange furnace ahead of us.

+1 for keeping the visor extra clean.

If someone is too close behind you, slow down and let them pass.

Or use your superior manoeuvrability and GTF out of the way.

The only time I consider traffic in my mirror is when stopped at junctions or in queues.
Getting arse-holed into the vehicle in front is boring.

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:33 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
/
The only time I consider traffic in my mirror is when stopped at junctions or in queues..

The situation I'm talking about _is_ a queue. I'm not saying the person behind is too close, but if the traffic slows from 50 to 30 even a safe distance will shrink very quickly. If the driver behind me is in their own world thinking about their next holiday and the traffic in front of them slows, they can't really see... but they can just make out the outline of a car and don't see the bike... then I'm getting rear ended.
If they see a red light then that might help. That's all I'm saying.
It's all unlikely to come together and happen in that way, but why not be that bit more visible in glare?

jakebrownbass
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:18 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this thread reminds me of is this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FDSXKhkmlM

Electrical tape user here btw.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:53 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dark-Safety-Glasses-Brava-Delta-Plus/272533101721?epid=1140729066&hash=item3f743d1c99:g:3RoAAOSw2xRYhypM

Except they only cost about £1.60 if you get them by the box full, (or free if you get them from work). The good thing about them is not only are they super-light but the arms are thin and bendy so you can put them on easily through the visor opening, and of course you can remove them easily if it gets dark.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDonnyBrago wrote:
I used to have a strip of black electrical tape at the top of my visor.

This is exactly what I use.When riding around the Continent in bright sunlight it is more than adequate to block out the light.
By adding an extra length I can adjust the depth of the light blockage and adjust it later when the light levels drop.

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Snaps/20160802_112028_zpss2nawkw9.jpg~original

Always have a 'Plan B'

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:44 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johanna wrote:
MCN wrote:
/
The only time I consider traffic in my mirror is when stopped at junctions or in queues..

The situation I'm talking about _is_ a queue. I'm not saying the person behind is too close, but if the traffic slows from 50 to 30 even a safe distance will shrink very quickly. If the driver behind me is in their own world thinking about their next holiday and the traffic in front of them slows, they can't really see... but they can just make out the outline of a car and don't see the bike... then I'm getting rear ended.
If they see a red light then that might help. That's all I'm saying.
It's all unlikely to come together and happen in that way, but why not be that bit more visible in glare?

Switch to filter mode.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 216 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1