BCF: Bike Chat Forums

This is how Skynet starts.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:16 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsung fridge set my mums house on fire. Caused well over 100k of damage and loss. Just saying.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:39 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Samsung fridge set my mums house on fire. Caused well over 100k of damage and loss. Just saying.

Skynet doesn’t always need armed cyborgs to get you, they’re after you Thumbs Up

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:

Yeh not so clear cut as that but still there is truth in what you say. You need to imagine it from their perspective as they have no way of comprehending it from yours, like literally none.

This is true. And I'm not totally against technology and connectivity, I mean for the busy multi-tasking working mum of 3kids it must be a big help being able to set the oven to turn on, while dropping the kids at after school clubs, and avoiding traffic tailbacks in road works, with annoying screaming kids tired/hungry/needing the loo etc.

I just wish this generation could find a workaround to all this as their fingertips technology and smart devices when it all goes wrong. This could be being better prepared, knowing how to read a map, or who to ring to find out opening hours, and actually getting to know the immediate area around where they live and what facilities are where.

Look at it this way, there's been an explosion in new home building and thus demand for electricity from local substations as well as all the other services. With existing infrastructure stretched to its limit there is going to be far more power cuts in the next 10years than the last 10years etc. Same for the broadband infrastructure that is the industry I work in. Sure this superfast and then ultrafast fibre to premises is all well and good, but with VOIP too, everything is only going to work with a reliable power supply. There's also the kit that runs all this fibre light sources, and the equipment that de-codes and sorts Internet traffic being the limitations of how fast and how much people can be connected to everything all the time.

Everything requires power, and nothing will work otherwise. Its a shame people can't be a bit more resourceful too. We were brought up to know what to do in a power cut, but today's mum's that have always had all this connectivity and fingertips remote technology available, well they can't tell their kids how to adapt and survive without stuff when things fall over.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seriously considering seeing if I can live without Electricity and Gas for a year. I could fit a wood burning stove instead of the crappy gas fire i never use and i tend to fall asleep after dark anyway so just use candles for light or even rig a simple 12v solar powered light system up. I would keep a smartphone for admin and safety purposes.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 13:10 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
I'm seriously considering seeing if I can live without Electricity and Gas for a year. I could fit a wood burning stove instead of the crappy gas fire i never use and i tend to fall asleep after dark anyway so just use candles for light or even rig a simple 12v solar powered light system up. I would keep a smartphone for admin and safety purposes.

So Long as the smartphone does not have access to BCF I fully endorse this idea Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:13 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

12V solar light is still electricity.

I think the term you're looking for is "off grid". The most demanding off grid thing in terms of power is actually water. You need to pump it to your house and that takes a fair bit of energy. Unless you can set up a syphon system but most use a well that needs pumping up from. You forget that when you turn your tap on, that water has been pressurised.

I stayed in an off grid house for my summer holiday this year and showering after dark was a big no-no because it would knacker the solar system storage batteries.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't get one of those google box things because i feel silly talking to it when i live on my own.

Anyone seen those 'hoverboards' (which don't hover), like boards on wheels which go along at walking place.
Not being rasis but every time i saw one it being ridden by a scowling black yoof

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We dont pay for metered water up here above the wall so that element of being off grid is no problem. In fact water pressure is so good i could probably drive a little turbine off it Laughing

Off grid is very attractive though. When I started adding up all the crap I pay for and added to that the actual hassle of tracking whats the best deal on it all it just makes me want to go full tree living crusty. My Girlfriend is none too keen though Shocked as much as I tried to put over the point that im just looking at reducing my life to the bare necessary essentials and this is a good thing. I worked out my main modern world neccesities are, Bank Account: Mortgage Account: House Insurance: Bike Insurance/Running costs: Basic smartphone: Groceries. Everything else is do awaywithable one way or another.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:21 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
I won't get one of those google box things because i feel silly talking to it when i live on my own.

I think theres something desperate about the adds on the telly where Google and Amazon desperately try to invent uses for their crappy boxes. Usually showing some doofus of a modern man capering around his house entertaining the baby or ordering sanitary towels for his busy executive wife.

bhinso wrote:
Anyone seen those 'hoverboards' (which don't hover), like boards on wheels which go along at walking place.
Not being rasis but every time i saw one it being ridden by a scowling black yoof
scowling or being cool?

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 04:40 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Again it's Millenials and those in their early 30's that really lapp up this automated do everything from an electronic device types. Its Google maps and sat nav to drive from one suburb to the next 2miles away etc.
But without Google, Hive, Alexa etc etc they are really fucked up and can't come up with a plan or answer to any problem or issue.

As someone who fits that description and works in the tech industry... I couldn't be any less reliant on those types of things.

I reluctantly use Facebook but have everything on ultra privacy and mostly only very close family and friends, around 50 odd people. I don't use any other social media, the only reason I'm still there is a large page I own and some business pages.

I own the latest smart phone but have no apps on it. Everything is on lock down and focused on privacy and anonymity.

Every day I talk about Ai, VR, Rpa, Blockchain,etc and how on the one hand it's amazing but we're literally feeding and training future Ai by Google searching, talking to the devices, etc etc.

My general opinion is that we'll fuck it up.. as we always do. It will either end up wiping us out or we'll spend 50 years trying to fix it.

I'd love to ditch my phone and not use one but my job requires it. On the other hand, in the future, people with our skillsets will be the ones who do best. The technophobes and people who shun innovation and change will be the outsiders and people at huge disadvantage as we move in to the robot revolution and age of information...

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:58 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree to an extent with the last part of what your saying, but I think people (mostly those that fit my original description) should be far less one dimensional and equipment reliant. Not the best example but look at commercial aviation.

Pilots have to be trained to fly airliners in a variety of ways, and adapt to losing 2-3systems and or doing things using different methods of control etc. Yeah a plane can navigate and fly itself, but that pilot is trained and paid because he knows ways round automated systems, and what to do if or when his electronic eyes navigation systems fail.

People who can enter a postcode into a sat nav but can't or have never learned to read a map is a more simple example of over reliance on tech. I get people at work asking me for job or equipment locations with a postcode so they can find it, and sometimes it's like 5 streets from where they are, or its a site that stands out like a sore thumb as you drive from one village into the next on the only road etc.

The/you tech savvy people will be better off in 20years than those that arnt up to speed with electronics/devices automation and VR or Ai. But these people are surely clever enough to think about why do they want to develop everything they know about into such devices and give them as much self learning potential as possible?

You hear things about Chinese electronic equipment manufacturers putting bugs into systems and devices deliberately. Maybe it's to see what other people are doing, or to limit a devices ability to learn or become too intelligent maybe? People want to keep their jobs and protect their employment that's human nature! Or it could be because they want to be able to sell systems/devices/tech that are programmed to crash or fail and cause huge chaos or distribution to trade or world economy etc. If you make the only product out there that people need, then you can if inclined hold them to ransom to replace/fix or control it.

Let Ai get too smart and yeah the world could get into trouble, but I don't believe it's in people's interests to do this either.

owl10
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:14 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:

Mercedes seem to be advertising their " mercedes me " (aka in car Alexa) on the radio station I listen to.

The advert says "hey mercedes, tell me a joke "

And the car replies "I can't my engineers were german" or similar.

Personally I think there's something quite sad about having a conversation with Alexa (whether in a Mercedes or otherwise). I also can't get away from the fact that the real joke in the add is the "offer" to rent a a180 for 2 years for £10k.... But that's a whole different millennials rant....

Edit: just for OP, Skynet has already started - mk6 is coming next... Google skynet 6!

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be hilarious if you asked Alexa for a joke and it was really rasiss or politically incorrect

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:50 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Would be hilarious if you asked Alexa for a joke and it was really rasiss or politically incorrect

If you could set her up to insult people, like a bad mouthed parrot, I'd have one tomorrow.

Cheaper and easier than teaching an African Grey to tell your guests what you really think of them. Thumbs Up

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder if some computer whizz could hack in to them, and send them all wappy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 172 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2