Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Had my first off!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:15 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Had my first off! Reply with quote

D:

Well it was going to happen sooner or later...

So had my first accident, thankfully for my ego, this one wasn't my fault at all...

Well I had an appointment to get to in town, as I've mentioned a few times before I live out in the country. So I was going down some narrow twisty country roads. And a delivery van came rushing through... I was going around 30-35 and I was breaking and pulling as close as I could get to the verge. The van didn't slow down one iota, and didn't even give me any space...

I didn't go head on lucky... But he slipped my wind mirror and made me fall to my left... Crushed my foot... Luckily the verge kept the bike from going over completely... Foots sore. Either badly brushed little tow bone or its broken... Bikes OK too... Apart from a slightly scratched wing mirror...

The van driver even carried on going for a bit... Though he did stop and came back... He refused to give me any details and I had to call the police...

They were very polite, even gave me a banana as by this time I was there for about 30 minutes and had not eaten anything. Was getting low blood sugar...

Anyway... Like I said bikes fine. But still got to report it to insurance...

The guy even tried to drive away a couple of times while I was on the phone to the police... Luckily another van driver came and blocked him from leaving... Very nice of him

Anyway yeah... Not fun.

What's worse is that lately I've been thinking of getting a bike cam... Would have been bloody useful in this situation

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:24 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In b4 'poor obs'

Atomic Punk
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:42 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wing mirrors????

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:46 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nutsy has off/shitty day,... Nutsy not dead,..... day not as bad as Nutsy thought it would be Thumbs Up

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:55 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Nutsy has off/shitty day,... Nutsy not dead,..... day not as bad as Nutsy thought it would be Thumbs Up

Yep not dead.... but in A LOT of pain. My foot really is throbbing badly now...

A little bruise has shown up.... I think when i went down my foot twisted a bit in the verge as well as being crushed under the bike. So i think ive pulled a tendon or two as well as really bruised little toe bone...

heres an ego damaging bit, Just happened.

Nearly back home after doing what i had to do in town... Coming round a different root... This time I come to a junction, because my left foot is busted i cant put my foot down there at stops... So used right food... Now at this junction theres lots of silt and gravel... (roads here are in terrible condition.) Because im stopping mostly with my front break. Just as i was coming to the stop i put my right foot down, and using front break the bike skidded on the gravel out from under me.... I dropped the bike at 1mph D:

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:53 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Had my first off! Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
this one wasn't my fault at all...

The danger of believing that is you won't be able to avoid such a hazard if/when you encounter it again. Almost all incidents of this kind can be avoided with better observation, positioning and control/restraint etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I could've come out any better off than you did. In fact, chances are I'd be even worse. But I still maintain a more useful mindset should focus on what *you* can do differently next time, rather than blaming it all on a third party. If you go too far down that route, there's the risk that if/when it happens again, you'll be totally in the right again, but pushing up daises.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:37 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Had my first off! Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

The danger of believing that is you won't be able to avoid such a hazard if/when you encounter it again. Almost all incidents of this kind can be avoided with better observation, positioning and control/restraint etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I could've come out any better off than you did. In fact, chances are I'd be even worse. But I still maintain a more useful mindset should focus on what *you* can do differently next time, rather than blaming it all on a third party. If you go too far down that route, there's the risk that if/when it happens again, you'll be totally in the right again, but pushing up daises.

Certainly a good point... Really thinking about it i honestly cant think of anything else i could have done... I braked... slowed down to about 5-10mph still went into the verge edge of the road as i could, and the guy still clipped me and carried on driving away at 40mph...

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:10 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a similar situation with belligerent white-van-man.... I've just stopped... in lane-pos, no attempt to swerve or make space, just stopped.

Actual act of pulling over, is to a large degree an invitation for oncoming to NOT slow-down, or pull over any themselves... "Well, your only a bike, and you were pulling over anyway....."

If you were in a car, what else could you do?

If they still keep coming, slam down kick-start and get ready to jump! B-U-T.... without the implicit invitation to proceed as, and with obvious obstruction in the middle of the road.... they TEND to slow down, even stop... if just to yell at you!

WVM: "Oi! Why-douwn you move over!"
ME: "Where? You think I should ride through the hedge, just cos you is in hurry?"
WVM: "Well... err... Back up then!"
ME: "Sorry, motorbike... no reverse gear"
WVM: "Well, cantcha PUSH!"
Me: "Oh... Oh-Kay"... throw leg over... and do what I always say not to.... PADDLE... hard work paddling a bike a long way backwards.... especially as you have to keep looking over your shoulder to see where your going..... takes a long while to back up like that......
PRETTY SOON!
WVM: "I cant hang 'round all day! I'll back up! You come past when I make room!"
Me: Mods.... waits.. lets them back up, lets them back up some more... lets them get thier near side in the weeds, BEFORE moving forwards..... and making exagerated halt and duck by thier door mirror.....

Twisted Evil

Action Cam... you may have got it all on film.... you'd STILL have a sore foot and an argument with the insurance company.....

BIT of belligerence.... you COULD have some 'fun'..... & worst case... they hit a stationary motorcycle in the middle of the road... THAT is a traffic collision NO argument, "Nah never touched him orificer! He just swerved off the road! Looked like he was going too fast!".. and OH Kay, its hassle with insurers, BUT its not an ambulance ride and a week off work, to have an argument you are starting on the wrong... sore... foot with the ins-co over who pays the meat waggon!

So yeah.... you may have had the right-of-way, and you may not have done anything tooo 'wrong'..... but there was other stuff you could have done, and stuff that likely would have resulted in a better outcome for you. So there are lessons to be learned from it....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:34 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well luckily insurance wise theres no claim to be made... as no real damage to the bike was done... A bit of a scratch on the plastic of the wing mirror but thats not worth claiming for ...

Im not going to claim for hurting my foot.... not some whiplash bullshit person... (even if my foot injury is real)

Ive seen the GP now, they agree with me. Its probably just really bruised bone and twisted ankle. Though it could have broken or fractured the bone behind the knuckle of the little toe. (where most my pain is) they told me to keep it on ice, take some co codeamole and if it really swells up badly or come out really badly bruised then get an xray as then its likely broken... So far only lightly bruised and a bit swollen. So no rush to AnE there...

The police were really friendly and helpful... They could only do so much of course but honestly couldnt fault them at all, i certainly had the feeling that they were on my side of the situation, As when i was calling them the driver tried to drive away at one point, and he refused to exchange details with me before I got the police involved.

As for insurance, Theres no claim to be made its just informing them... It shouldnt effect my premiums... (or maybe it would, Ill like to think it wont)

But given that he refused to exchange details with me before i called the police and even tried to drive off while i was on the phone to the police. If there was any insurance investigations, Im reasonably confident that it would fall in my favour.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken little toe?

Man the fuck up, (tie that shoe a little looser tomorrow) and get on with it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:19 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
Broken little toe?

Man the fuck up, (tie that shoe a little looser tomorrow) and get on with it

Seriously im not making a big deal of it. Its sore but im getting alone fine thanks...

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
As for insurance, Theres no claim to be made its just informing them... It shouldnt effect my premiums

Good luck with that one...

Wheezybiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:36 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you are ok

Dreading my first off post
Can I pre book my first few readers to be sympathetic Middle Finger Very Happy

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did you call your insurance? You’ve just given them a reason to bump up their prices.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:08 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
Why did you call your insurance? You’ve just given them a reason to bump up their prices.

Because your required to by law...
And if you don't and the insurance company finds out later through the connections to recorded accidents your insurance policy is then voided the moment you do want to claim...

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:31 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you aren't.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:53 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
No you aren't.

What he said.

You were obliged to stop.

Edit: Life got so much easier on here since Roger died.

Does anyone have contact details? It's been a while.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:58 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger?

Well the police told me I had to, they said it was the law too.... So well, great I'm screwed no matter what.

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:49 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the paint diagram?

Standards are slipping around here... Wink

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:05 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
Roger?

Well the police told me I had to, they said it was the law too....

Roger; you know, Roger. Destroyer of souls.

If the police told you to stick your head in the oven cos it's the law, would you?

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:43 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had any accidents, in the past 5 years regardless of fault, whether or not you made a claim? Now you get to answer "Yes".
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:41 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wvm wasn't keeping to the left... But it is narrow. If he had slowed down and pulled more to the left the accident wouldn't have happened.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:16 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
Have you had any accidents, in the past 5 years regardless of fault, whether or not you made a claim? Now you get to answer "Yes".

Indeed, and explaining that to cockwomble on the phone is lols.

No claim, no call. I had someone pull out on me, bike went into the side of her VW Golf, smashed the bumper off and damaged my bike. She paid cash to get fixed. I wouldn't have claimed, they'd write it off all due to a bent bit of metal. Might as well just pay the £600 to save premium rape.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 197 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2