Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Nodding Bikers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Daytona Loner
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:15 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Nodding Bikers Reply with quote

Being back on a bike after a ten year absence, I've noticed one thing.

I nod at other passing bikers like I used to, but no fecker nods back anymore.

I live in another part of the country now, but still.....wtf is going on?

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:33 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not my bro....

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Nodding Bikers Reply with quote

Daytona Loner wrote:

I live in another part of the country now,

do you live in a city?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timing is key. Too early and they won't notice. Too late and there's no chance to reciprocate. Bum up, head down sportsbiker nods are barely noticeable unless they do the sideways head tilt. There's also quite a few commuter 2-wheelers who have never heard of the biker nod.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people around here do, even the kiddies on peds nod. If they don't, it's almost always a Harley, on a Friday afternoon, with a sodding queue of cars behind it.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Nodding Bikers Reply with quote

Daytona Loner wrote:

It's not what it was. I stopped to help someone about a fortnight ago, and I thought they'd jump the hedge to run off across the fields. In my van, I move over to let people pass. They don't acknowledge it. I ask people stopped if they're OK. Yes, they say, 'cos they've 'phoned their mum. People don't want to know.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Nodding Bikers Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
I stopped to help someone about a fortnight ago, and I thought they'd jump the hedge to run off across the fields. In my van, I move over to let people pass. They don't acknowledge it. I ask people stopped if they're OK. Yes, they say, 'cos they've 'phoned their mum. People don't want to know.

https://i.imgur.com/IBotkS3.jpg

Question

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:08 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Nodding Bikers Reply with quote

loner wrote:
y u no nod at me? Crying or Very sad

Nobody likes you. Mr. Green

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you nod at car drivers when you're in the car too? Or cyclists when you're on a push knacker?

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:17 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nod to all, whatever 2-wheeler they are riding. Even plod. Almost all nod back, including plod. Also I wave a thank you to every car/van/lorry driver etc who moves over to let me through. Manners cost nowt. I also move over for filterers when I'm in the car and the riders always wave thnx. This is mainly around Oxford area but also occasionally further distant (eg when I have a blast over to either Jacks Hill near Towcester or the Ace on the N.Circ)

PS I'll be editing my profile on Monday when I reach the ripe old age of 82. Ride safe out there....

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
Do you nod at car drivers when you're in the car too? Or cyclists when you're on a push knacker?

But motorbikes are special. I'll stop for the newest rider, the commuter, the motorcyclist, the "hard biker", or the veteran, whether I'm in my van, outfit, or solo. If they tell me eff off, that's fine[1], but I try & I'm better than those that do that, and I'm the same as any in this club.

[1] but blx to 'em.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Nodding Bikers Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:
I stopped to help someone about a fortnight ago, and I thought they'd jump the hedge to run off across the fields. In my van, I move over to let people pass. They don't acknowledge it. I ask people stopped if they're OK. Yes, they say, 'cos they've 'phoned their mum. People don't want to know.

https://i.imgur.com/IBotkS3.jpg

Question

Not that van, y'great gonk! Although it has the makings of a "Q" van.... Hm...

What a gesture he's making. Perhaps he's offering an ice-ccream to a member of Her Majesty's. Constanularary.

Yes, I have fallem noff the waggon agaim, and so sdiudenly. Dry since Sunday, now all wet.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theft, perhaps.

The only time I play attention to another bike now is because I want to see who's on it, how many; and who's around it.

I had a L plated young ped rider give me a prolonged stare on my commute one day for most probably the same reason; I saw him again the next day and we passed each other without worry.

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 22:33 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to give a fuck about it but now I just take the piss and chuck my head sideways like a total spastic if I feel in the mood for it. Bit of fun.

Most of the time I don't ever nod until someone does it to me and I nod back last minute, a lot of other bikers probably miss my reciprocation.

Many times people have done it and I'm just concentrating and I'm like oh shit I didn't nod back.

Eh.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well NCD I have noticed that whenI look ayt anorthe motporbike if I am out with The Boy he says Dad don't look at that we might someone seed that we are trying to steal it, bu t they are normaslly OK oif they fdo come to dsee what is happening, unless it is one of *THIES PEOPLE* the ones who in gthe pas t I have asked directions of they usually have anorackjs on and they have dribbly stains runnunbg doiwn the zips. Argh, from Devizes to Trowbvridge takes only a few hours in the snow of '81 or thereabouts it took 211 days to get from befdordshire to Pool in cornwall a in thes now and when that bloke you have stopped yo ask saysthat you have yto go up there and around and you can see it in the early Spring sunshine then you know and can make up ypour own mind.,

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:57 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatcha doing in Trowbridge or Devizes?

Daytona Loner
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:03 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:

You serious?

Daytona Loner
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:07 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Nodding Bikers Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Daytona Loner wrote:

It's not what it was. I stopped to help someone about a fortnight ago, and I thought they'd jump the hedge to run off across the fields. In my van, I move over to let people pass. They don't acknowledge it. I ask people stopped if they're OK. Yes, they say, 'cos they've 'phoned their mum. People don't want to know.

^^ Yes this ^^

Sad times

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many still nod around here, maybe not commuterists on their YBR's and scooters, and some of the Charley and thingy types in their immaculate BMW suits.

Im not butt hurt if they don't though. I find that some people don't nod at two stroke obsolete bikes, and anyone riding behind normally either wants to overtake sharpish or drop right back. Funny that?

Still it's more amusing when sitting in traffic in front of traffic or next to car drivers. They give you this look of ''do you know your bike is broken'' or just think of you as a planet killing scum bag, while they sit in their 4.2 SUV all judgemental. Laughing

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daytona Loner wrote:
You serious?

Yes...?

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nod, tilt my head, waggle my foot, wave and even salute*.

*Han Solo style.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
Or cyclists when you're on a push knacker?

We either wave, or say hello. Laughing

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give a nod to everyone on a bike, always have done always will. I don't care if they don't nod back, its built into me.

OGR

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
I give a nod to everyone on a bike, always have done always will. I don't care if they don't nod back, its built into me.

OGR

It's like an involuntary action isn't it?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:39 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Nodding Bikers Reply with quote

Daytona Loner wrote:
Being back on a bike after a ten year absence, I've noticed one thing.

What the fcuk are you on about?

I nodded back to you yesterday ya cnut.

Well I think it must have been you. Were you on a bike?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 196 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2