BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Nodding Bikers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was right behind you, you nodded to nobody, your full of shit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:33 - 15 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
DRZ4Hunned wrote:
Do you nod at car drivers when you're in the car too? Or cyclists when you're on a push knacker?

But motorbikes are special. I'll stop for the newest rider, the commuter, the motorcyclist, the "hard biker", or the veteran, whether I'm in my van, outfit, or solo. If they tell me eff off, that's fine[1], but I try & I'm better than those that do that, and I'm the same as any in this club.

[1] but blx to 'em.

Hear, hear - must be a Bedfordshire thing - us 'bruzzel pickers' have to stick together. When I first rode my Fizz to school I was chuffed to bits when the old duffy on the CD175 would wave back at me. They probably don't teach it at DAS school..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:51 - 15 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll admit it Embarassed I nod to other bikers Embarassed .
I even nod to L-platers .

I draw the line at chavy pedi Bois though Tut Tut

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:46 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nod, why not. However, when you pass 40 Harleys going the other way, you may just be offering something else!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:09 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Nod, why not. However, when you pass 40 Harleys going the other way, you may just be offering something else!

40 Harleys? Either they're late for the annual dentists, sorry, HOG... dinner and dance, or you want to keep riding and ignore them.

vindaloo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:34 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sideways head tilt seems more popular than a nod.
harleys never nod or tilt - i think they sign a contract when they get the bike to be a bit aloof
i even nod at scooters although rarely get a return, shock maybe
i have a very sore neck

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:46 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP doesn't nod at BCF anymore. Crying or Very sad

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nod. seems 50/50 if you'll get a nod back or not though.

continental bikers are more reliable with the left hand wave/point/fistpump/etc...

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:27 - 17 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Whatcha doing in Trowbridge or Devizes?

Well, in those days, just passing through. I used to go caving on Mendip, so "got about" the area, and also passed through those towns en route to Cornwall. Magic, lovely, lovely times, mostly. In the winter of the Morning of Time, before Christmas, I travelled NE back from Cornwall to then home, Bedfordshire then, in bad conditions, passing through on the non-motorway route; after Christmas in the opposite direction it was far, far worse, and the journey took two whole days. Freezing lorry fuel made those vehicles stop, and block the roads, with consequent chaos, I don't think my tyres touched tarmac at all for about 150 miles, only snow & ice; went in a ditch at a pub near Stone about 30 miles out from home, opening time 10:30, had wanted drink/thaw, had Bovril & rum, frozen limbs, pain, could not see road or verge, or ditch between "road" & car park... hard getting bike out of ditch; later at about 6 o'clock I stopped at some (small) castle-type B&B (in Seend?) hard by the road on a corner ISTR, in really really dire straits, freezing in the snow, Barbour crackling with ice, but the "posh" bloke looked & refused me. Ice build-up everywhere, beard was solid ice with air under, bars/cables knife-edged forward with ice. I got the name of another place, in Seend Cleeve I think, and carefully but with great difficulty 'phoned from a box before I went, to make sure & check for free rooms, omitting the fact that I was on a bike, and was told "OK". You should have seen her face when I bashed on the door, but she was nice enough to let me have three fan heaters in a huge lovely too-expensive room, which was great, although extremely painful, got the shudders. Pub after, late, only barmaid & two people in it. The "Red ???", unsure, I seem to remember the road was a low one with liability to flood, if it wasn't frozen that is, but ICBW. Next day was better, due to being daylight & not freezing fog, the old A30 down the way was clear of snow, smoothish but icy with frozen "dog turds" all over the road dropped off vehicles, from Bolventor onwards, you don't want to hit a frozen "dog turd" on a slick icy road! Anyway, yes, I will have a "dry" day tomorrow, it was a good trip then, maybe I'll try & find the "old road" again, I've still got the bike I had then, would be good to try again, last time though I could not find the "old road", too many bypasses and "through traffic" routes & changes Sad .

Daytona Loner
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:42 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
OP doesn't nod at BCF anymore. Crying or Very sad

Wuh Gwan Cuz

blue_painted
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:19 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I no longer nod or head-tip - I wave. A nice big friendly wave. Very Happy

Inb4 "Cool story bro"

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:59 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends....

if im on my way to a bike meet and there is tons of bikes , no

if im doing xxxmph down the lanes, no

if im mooching along the front or on m way to work and i see a nice bike and/or a biker nods to me, yes.

if there is many fit ladies, much yes

Bald_Eagle1
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:18 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

You say that as though it's not 'normal' to nod to L-platers.

I find that most bikers nod or do the head twisty thing to me when I'm out on my little Chinkenese Honley 125 with L-plates on.

I live in the NW though. Maybe we're just more stereotypically sociable up here Question

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:32 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald_Eagle1 wrote:

I find that most bikers nod or do the head twisty thing to me when I'm out on my little Chinkenese Honley 125 with L-plates on.

I live in the NW though. Maybe we're just more stereotypically sociable up here Question

To be fair, round these parts (North Derbyshire/South Yorkshire) i find most L-platers scooterists don't nod, but most L-platers bike riders do

Take from that what you will

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:30 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald_Eagle1 wrote:
pepperami wrote:

There you go Thumbs Up you come from the NW and you ride on L-plates and I’ll still nod to you Laughing

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nod all the time me
https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fthumbs.gfycat.com%2FPersonalDemandingAmericanbadger-max-1mb.gif&f=1

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: noddy Reply with quote

I used to ride a velo le :D and no i'm not a blue bottle.

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only nod out of habit but it seems a very odd thing to do these days as every man & his dog has got a bike now.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenR wrote:
I only nod out of habit but it seems a very odd thing to do these days as every man & his dog has got a bike now.

I live in N.Wales - Every man and his dog have always had bikes, it's not a new thing. We still nod (or tilt the head, or waggle a foot, you get the idea), always have as long as I can remember.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:00 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
BenR wrote:

I live in N.Wales - Every man and his dog have always had bikes, it's not a new thing. We still nod (or tilt the head, or waggle a foot, you get the idea), always have as long as I can remember.

It's like that here on the N.Y.Moors. On minor roads especially, where you aren't going very fast most drivers do it too, or a little wave.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any point in nodding at other bikers.

If I park somewhere and meet other biker, I can greet him/her (nod or say hello) and even have a longer chat, fair enough.

Nodding at complete strangers just passing by, nah. There are just too many bikers on the road these days. Most of the bikers are every day car drivers and bikes are just weekend/good weather toys. Nothing to do with chosen life style like old days.

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:07 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You people who don't nod - I'll still nod at you. I don't expect a nod back. Some people don't nod. Some people's mind is elsewhere. Whatever. It's fine. But when someone nods back it makes me smile. So that's why I do it myself.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:00 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: wave Reply with quote

I tend to wave some fingers to "say hello" when on a bike, just like i do in the car, usually all four.......

what part of north wales dippy ?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 187 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2