Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insulating brick shed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tomzo47
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:41 - 15 Sep 2018    Post subject: Insulating brick shed Reply with quote

Hi all, we might be moving house soon and one we're looking at has a brick shed (old coal store) that id like to use as a bit of a workshop. I'd like to insulate it to make it bearable in the winter. Only problem is we're renting and likely to only stay for a couple of years, so whatever I do has to be cheap and removable when we leave. Any thoughts?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 15 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is it, Tomzo47? What's the roof made of? Pictures?

Tomzo47
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:08 - 15 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
How big is it, Tomzo47? What's the roof made of? Pictures?
Not massive, about 3m x 5m, solid block wall with a felt roof, sorry not got any pictures.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 15 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, you'll have to balance heating cost with insulation cost.

Ceiling: 6x 12 1/2mm plasterboard ~£30, 6x 25mm EPS sheets ~£35.

So that's about £70 which equals (say) 500 units electricity equals (say) 40 days of 2x 2Kw fan heaters for three hours a day.

How much more do you want to do/spend?

Bung up gaps etc. Put something on the floor to keep your feet warm, I'd suggest getting used carpet off eBay or similar. Insulating the walls will be more expensive unless you go for a nasty bodge like bubble wrap with hardboard over.

Tomzo47
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:45 - 15 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate, the cheaper the better as it's only a short term thing. If we were planning on staying for longer I'd do the job properly. If I could get away with spending about £100 On materials I'd be happy. Current thoughts are timber batons on the walls and ceiling with chipboard instead of plaster board, filled with Rockwool. Not sure about damp control there though. Also know that's going to be well above budget, but not sure what else to use.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 15 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battens/rockwool/chipboard might put you rather over budget unless you know somewhere really cheap/2-hand, what have you costed that at? Possibly use thinner EPS, 1000x500x10mm external wall insulation, overboard with hardboard? Lots of options....

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:53 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang rugs on the walls, wear Merino wool thermals and socks.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:08 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a couple of years. Heat it and be dammed.

The equation is determined by the cost of heating versus the cost to keep the heat in.
Sometimes the return on the investments take several years to be realised.
Two years is nothing if the cost of what you need to keep the heat in is properly considered.

Plywood is more expensive that Gyproc.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:46 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long are you really going to be in there, for a small space a fan heater or halogen style heater will be ample for a couple of hours vwithout insulating it.
The only thing is with no insulation it likely won't be frostproof so watch your tins of paint or whatever
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
maybe some Celotex sheets would be cheap and easy?

I'd love to know where to get Celotex cheap. Smile

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be wanting a job on a construction site then! I used about £150 worth of Celotex or equivalent in my shed build, and I only paid for £50 worth delivered.

Its the double thickness bubble wrap foil lined on both sides that I'd like to find a cheap source for. That stuff is silly expensive but so damn useful anywhere really.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:13 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would invest in a very good space heater and forget about doing anything to the walls if you are only going to be there 2 winters.

Buy one second hand and than flog it on when you move. You'll probably get you money back as a bonus.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
I'd love to know where to get Celotex cheap
https://www.secondsandco.co.uk/ wasn't bad last time I used them...

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not a very big shed and insulation takes up space. Space that would be better used by a bigger lathe. Heated insoles and perhaps heated floor would be my suggestions.

What are you using shed for? I need to have the door open when Im using the lathe, it makes plenty of oil fumes, then any kind of room heating or insulation becomes pointless,

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:10 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a nice coat. I would need some pictures and more info. Many times people start with insulating the walls, roof etc., to only end up with a damp shed (house) with condensation dripping from the ceiling/roof.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:16 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heating a brick workshop is all well and good but if you're going to put any machine tools in there then they are going to rust if the shed is very thermally inefficient. Far more so if it has a tin roof.

I'd find a way to insulate it, even if it was just rockwool, battens and hardboard.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:40 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Buy a nice coat. I would need some pictures and more info. Many times people start with insulating the walls, roof etc., to only end up with a damp shed (house) with condensation dripping from the ceiling/roof.

Ventilate.

Holes and Louvred covers.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Heating a brick workshop is all well and good but if you're going to put any machine tools in there then they are going to rust if the shed is very thermally inefficient. Far more so if it has a tin roof.

I'd find a way to insulate it, even if it was just rockwool, battens and hardboard.

Ah, my current workshop has a tin roof. However, directly under it is 11mm Stirling board. It's good. I like corrugated iron. My workshop roof was bought from somewhere near Hiitchen, Herts, from somewhere called "reel slitters" or something, by my dad, about 15 years ago. Unfortunately I can't recall the exact name of the place. You could see them get rolls of galvanised sheet metal, and make them corrugated.

Galvanised iron is IMO far, far superior to poxy "Onduline" and similar.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:51 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Pete. wrote:

Ah, my current workshop has a tin roof. However, directly under it is 11mm Stirling board. It's good. I like corrugated iron. My workshop roof was bought from somewhere near Hiitchen, Herts, from somewhere called "reel slitters" or something, by my dad, about 15 years ago. Unfortunately I can't recall the exact name of the place. You could see them get rolls of galvanised sheet metal, and make them corrugated.

Galvanised iron is IMO far, far superior to poxy "Onduline" and similar.

The stirling board prevents condensation forming on the underside of the tin roof when the outside temperature drops by insulating the air inside from the metal. It's probably not terribly efficient but it'll be enough to do the job. You'll still lose heat through it though.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:36 - 17 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
The stirling board prevents condensation forming on the underside of the tin roof when the outside temperature drops by insulating the air inside from the metal.

That's exactly the reason for having it, yes. Non-drip.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 17 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Bristol there is a wood recycling project. If you have something like that, you might be able to reduce the cost. (they give pallets for free)
So you could potentially batten it for free. You could even cover it with the wider boards so free if you can joint the edges. Then you could spend your budget on kingspan / rockwooll / screws / plugs.
I wonder if you could fill the void with sawdust? Might be a bit fire risky.
Doing the same on the floor and covering it in carpet (off cuts or free to collector from gumtree), it will help it feel warmer too. (depending on use)
Having some sort of timber walls will make hanging tools and nudie pics easier Cool

Tomzo47
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:09 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had another look last night, I don’t think there’s enough room to dry line, so would have to look at other options. Weirdly it was rather warm in there so might not be too much of a challenge…. Bit of damp on the walls so my current thoughts are paint on a DPC and give it a fresh coat of paint, have a little fan heater and maybe a dehumidifier (although running this might be ridiculously expensive).
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomzo47 wrote:
Had another look last night, I don’t think there’s enough room to dry line, so would have to look at other options. Weirdly it was rather warm in there so might not be too much of a challenge…. Bit of damp on the walls so my current thoughts are paint on a DPC and give it a fresh coat of paint, have a little fan heater and maybe a dehumidifier (although running this might be ridiculously expensive).

It was a warm yesterday/ last night.

Are you allowed to paint the walls? I assume you're talking bitumen emulsoin.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 211 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2