Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Battery swap Ni-Cad to Ni-Mh (not bike)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:52 - 17 Sep 2018    Post subject: Battery swap Ni-Cad to Ni-Mh (not bike) Reply with quote

I have a battery pack it is 1900mAh @7.2v Ni-Cad it is ancient and mostly dead.

I've taken it apart and the cells inside are the same size as a 7.2v 2000mAh Ni-Mh.

Can I just swap them and use the same charger?

the Ni-Cad has a chip attached I assume to sort out the charging. Will this work on Ni-Mh cells?

I can post pictures if it will help.

Cheers

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 17 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GUESS

I'd have thought it will depend on the chargers ability to know when they're fully charged. (and possibly the rate of charging?)

Here's a read about nickel metal hydride charging:

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_nickel_metal_hydride

Extract of interest:

Nickel- and lithium-based batteries require different charge algorithms. A NiMH charger can also charge NiCd; a NiCd charger would overcharge NiMH.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 17 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?356111-charging-NiMH-battery-with-NiCd-Charger

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:44 - 17 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, get a cheap hobby charger like the B6AC, which will do any battery you choose pretty much, including lead acid batteries and give you some nice stats for it too.

Not so much 'plug and play' however.

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 17 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant understand the love for NiCad, its very fussy about charging, is highly toxic to the environment and V V expensive. Metal Hydride are more expensive than lead acid, but are nearly as efficient as NiCad with few of the downsides. They do need a dedicated charger but are less prone to self immolating than NiCad. Still not convinced that any of these exotics are better in an automotive environment with its heavy discharge and iffy charging regimes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 17 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NiCad?? that's so last century... Embarassed

chris-red

PostPosted: 21:12 - 17 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjdugen wrote:
Cant understand the love for NiCad, its very fussy about charging, is highly toxic to the environment and V V expensive. Metal Hydride are more expensive than lead acid, but are nearly as efficient as NiCad with few of the downsides. They do need a dedicated charger but are less prone to self immolating than NiCad. Still not convinced that any of these exotics are better in an automotive environment with its heavy discharge and iffy charging regimes.

Who loves Ni-Cad?

chris-red

PostPosted: 21:12 - 17 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
NiCad?? that's so last century... Embarassed

Hence why they need replacing...

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:14 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fcuk all to do with OP

But not completely off topic

I keep my auld batteries and boost them (whenever I remember) and use them to blow up the bike and car tyres.

I use a ctek charger and fitted the wee lead to the old batteries for convenience.

I also have an ice cream tub full of depleted AA, AAA 9V etc. cells.

I think the local recycle place can take them, I know they are mental things to end up in a landfill.

I wondered what the value of the lithium is.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/battery_recycling_as_a_business

Disappoint.. Sad

I saw a doco on the telly about Pb and stuff and the market for old lead acid batteries is excellent
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 193 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1