Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First bike should I get a 50cc, a 70cc or a 125?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

tara1234
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:18 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: First bike should I get a 50cc, a 70cc or a 125? Reply with quote

Hey so im gonna get my first bike soon. A few people have told me I should get a 50 as the insurance is way cheaper than if I went straight in for a 125.

I really dont wanna be limited to 30 mph so was thinking of getting a 70 as they can get up to about 50 mph which should be enough for a roads. But I dont wanna have to spend a grand on insurance.

Im a woman, 27 years old, no previous driving experience. I havn't bought a bike yet.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

why staying at small & low powered?

At 27 you can do your CBT then do your tests and get a 600cc or similar which is usually cheaper on insurance than a 125cc

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:04 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up

Get your full licence as Wonko says and then you be winning.

tara1234
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:08 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

will the 70cc be much more than a 50cc? Why are 125s so expensive to insure?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 16:32 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

50cc is a moped, as in motorised-pedal-cycle..... now restricted by EU licence regs to a maximum speed of 31mph, they REALLY are almost a nonsense; seriously a fit-ish, kid on a push-bike can go faster under pure pedal power, and not have to wear a crash hat, pay road tax, buy petrol or have ANY licence or training, or pay for ANY insurance what-so-ever....

They have some merit.... if you haven't completed pubity... b-u-t... even then, for practical purposes, they have all the drawbacks of a motorbike, or other vehicle that has to wear a number-plate... and almost none of the benefits....

70cc? Not an awful lot better than a moped... and I cant think of much that even IS 70cc these days, TBH.... the old Honda Cub moped, was built in 50, 70 and 90cc guises, and there's a fair few pit-bikes based on their engines, which got stretched to 110 then a full 125cc and eventually to 140cc for some markets.... 80cc used to be popular, in my yoof, before you were born; they were mostly big-bore mopeds or 50cc motorbikes, and they were often almost as powerful as 'restricted' to learner limit 125's, but cheaper to insure. But, since I think 1997 or so, you haven't been able to actually take tests on a bike less than 120cc or capable of 60mph, so, there isn't a lot made with a smaller engine.

Which brings about the notion that power and performance have very very little to do with engine displacement, which is basically just the size of hole in the engine where fire happens... has even less bearing on how heavy a bike may be, or how stable or easy to ride.

If you were contemplating a car... it would be a bit like asking whether we thought you should start with a 1000cc, or if a 1400cc would be better, dismissing 1600's and bigger alltogether, and not asking whether we thought you aught start with a Nissan Micra, a Ford Focus, or a Renault Espace van!

The 'style' of bike, is far more pertinent than it's engine displacement, and even then, more significant will be the character of it.

For instance, in the 250cc displacement, you have bikes like the Yamah SR250; a semi cruiser style with a 250cc four stroke single cylinder engine, that offers about 20bhp and might just reach 80mph with a tail-wind. Very soft and forgiving bike that's pretty easy to ride and not 'so' compromised by semi-cruiser styling to be particularly awkward to man handle. Other end of the extreme, you have a bike like the Suzuki RGV250; a full on GP replica with low handle-bars and hard solo-seat, a full on 'race bike' with around 60bhp from a rather complicated water-cooled two-stroke twin cylinder engine, and a top speed in the region of 140mph. In between.... there's 250cc dirt bikes like the Honda CRF250, with tall seat and knobly tyres; a more sophisticated water-cooled and fuel injected four-stroke engine, with about 24bhp, and a top speed again, of about 80mph... but very different 'character' maneuverability or road holding. And so it goes on.. and that's just in the very unpopular 250cc class.

And just to exemplify comment that cc is not related to power or performance or usefulness or anything else, over on Show & Tell, some twit (rather than use the 'Exchange and mart'# sales forum!) was trying to sell a 1700cc Yamaha, that has just 85bhp... that's 400cc bigger than my car.... and less powerful!

And IF this were any other type vehicle... you wouldn't even be asking this sort of question.

If you wanted a car, you'd go book driving lessons; if you wanted to fly a plane, you'd go book flying lessons; if you wanted to wind-surf.... you'd go book wind-surfing lessons..... NOT ask what would be the best cc car or whether to get a prop engines light aircraft over a jet, or... well.. I'm a bit stumped when it comes to wind-surfers for an analogy actually! But you get the idea!

GO GET LESSONS.

First step before you can ride ANYTHING with an engine is CBT... this is NOT a licence, its just the first lesson.

Here in the UK, contrary to EC laws we allow unqualified riders to take to the roads on L-Plates on a 125 or less, unsupervised.... but just 'cos its legal dont mean its a great idea.....

Lessons to get a full licence are mush the same price whether you want the A1 licence for a 125, or the A2 licence for a 45bhp middle weight, or the ride-what-you-like A-category licence for any damn cc bike you like.....

Plan on lessons, you get the full Ride-What-You-Like Licence for the effort, same as if you did a car test.... no one says after car lessons and licence, "Oh, you got to go but a ferarri, or what was the point!".. same with a bike licence... IF you want a light-weight, under 125cc no one says you cant.... but you could have a 500 or a 650, or even a liter bike IF you wanted...

A-N-D you would be trained and qualified to ride it, and stand some sort of chance of dodging other traffic a bit better, than going it alone on a light-weight on L's, in the school of hard knocks, which doesn't teach you anything... just punished you, usually with extreme physical pain and financial penalty for getting it 'wrong'.

But.. get the lessons, get the licence... then you probably wont WANT anything less than 500cc.. and there are plenty of 500-650 learner-friendly bikes about in various styles, and you'll probably have done lessons on one.... but if you want something smaller no reason why you cant have it.... its a ride what you like licence remember.

More pertinent is what 'style' you would prefer and whether that would suit your intended use for the thing.... I mean, I'd not really relish the idea of doing a round the world tour on a razor for a saddle dirt bike, nor trying to do a cross-city commute on a full-dress Honda Goldwing, or trying to use a Harley Davidson Dyno-Rod on a gravel track!

B-U-T... with lessons and learning to get the licence? You should be a bit more clued up as to what's more of less apt, as well as better prepared to ride it...

AS to insurance? Well, its something of a law unto itself. Prices depend largely on bike style, as much as displacement, but post-code and storage make a bigger difference, as does declared use.

"Commuting" is NOT a standard part of most motorcycle insurance policies any more; bikes are far more often used solely as leisure vehicles, "Commuting" is now usually an 'opt in' on a policy proposal, and one that can bump the premium enormously, as in more than double it.

Anything under 125cc also bears the "Learner-Loading" on premiums. Anything that can be ridden on L-Plates, tends to appear far more often in the insurance company's loss columns; first because over half the bikes sold in the UK are under 125cc so the more numerous, but also, because they tend to most often be ridden by folk with no real training or qualification, on L-Plates......

I have a Honda Seven-Fifty... old duffer insurance on an old bike, means I pay less than £100 a year to insure it. I also have a Honda 125, that's insured at the same address, same storage, same mileage, same value same riders, etc etc etc.... policy price is about £140 a year.... that's 40% MORE for like-for like cover, JUST because other bikes of that type and capacity are bought and ridden by unqualified numpties... and oft crashed by them!

So, you are likely to find, that picking a bigger bike, actually works out 'cheaper' to insure, A-N-D given the prices most new riders have to suffer; that probable saving is likely to 'pay' for a DAS course, in under two or three years.....

So it ALL makes '#sense' to put the licence at the top of the list of things to get, way ahead of 'what bike' and even then... what 'sort' of bike vis make and style etc are all a much bigger deal than how big the fire hole in its engine may be.

Which is a lot of words to ask really, "Why do you ask" cos question suggests ideas and more questions, where direct answer PROBABLY wont help you none, just beg more ideas.... Lessons and a licence would.... Go-Get.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:01 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My missus is 30, her insurance quote for a 125 was less than £200. Shop around.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
50cc is a moped, as in motorised-pedal-cycle..... now restricted by EU licence regs to a maximum speed of 31mph, they REALLY are almost a nonsense; seriously a fit-ish, kid on a push-bike can go faster under pure pedal power, and not have to wear a crash hat, pay road tax, buy petrol or have ANY licence or training, or pay for ANY insurance what-so-ever....

They have some merit.... if you haven't completed pubity... b-u-t... even then, for practical purposes, they have all the drawbacks of a motorbike, or other vehicle that has to wear a number-plate... and almost none of the benefits....

70cc? Not an awful lot better than a moped... and I cant think of much that even IS 70cc these days, TBH.... the old Honda Cub moped, was built in 50, 70 and 90cc guises, and there's a fair few pit-bikes based on their engines, which got stretched to 110 then a full 125cc and eventually to 140cc for some markets.... 80cc used to be popular, in my yoof, before you were born; they were mostly big-bore mopeds or 50cc motorbikes, and they were often almost as powerful as 'restricted' to learner limit 125's, but cheaper to insure. But, since I think 1997 or so, you haven't been able to actually take tests on a bike less than 120cc or capable of 60mph, so, there isn't a lot made with a smaller engine.

Which brings about the notion that power and performance have very very little to do with engine displacement, which is basically just the size of hole in the engine where fire happens... has even less bearing on how heavy a bike may be, or how stable or easy to ride.

If you were contemplating a car... it would be a bit like asking whether we thought you should start with a 1000cc, or if a 1400cc would be better, dismissing 1600's and bigger alltogether, and not asking whether we thought you aught start with a Nissan Micra, a Ford Focus, or a Renault Espace van!

The 'style' of bike, is far more pertinent than it's engine displacement, and even then, more significant will be the character of it.

For instance, in the 250cc displacement, you have bikes like the Yamah SR250; a semi cruiser style with a 250cc four stroke single cylinder engine, that offers about 20bhp and might just reach 80mph with a tail-wind. Very soft and forgiving bike that's pretty easy to ride and not 'so' compromised by semi-cruiser styling to be particularly awkward to man handle. Other end of the extreme, you have a bike like the Suzuki RGV250; a full on GP replica with low handle-bars and hard solo-seat, a full on 'race bike' with around 60bhp from a rather complicated water-cooled two-stroke twin cylinder engine, and a top speed in the region of 140mph. In between.... there's 250cc dirt bikes like the Honda CRF250, with tall seat and knobly tyres; a more sophisticated water-cooled and fuel injected four-stroke engine, with about 24bhp, and a top speed again, of about 80mph... but very different 'character' maneuverability or road holding. And so it goes on.. and that's just in the very unpopular 250cc class.

And just to exemplify comment that cc is not related to power or performance or usefulness or anything else, over on Show & Tell, some twit (rather than use the 'Exchange and mart'# sales forum!) was trying to sell a 1700cc Yamaha, that has just 85bhp... that's 400cc bigger than my car.... and less powerful!

And IF this were any other type vehicle... you wouldn't even be asking this sort of question.

If you wanted a car, you'd go book driving lessons; if you wanted to fly a plane, you'd go book flying lessons; if you wanted to wind-surf.... you'd go book wind-surfing lessons..... NOT ask what would be the best cc car or whether to get a prop engines light aircraft over a jet, or... well.. I'm a bit stumped when it comes to wind-surfers for an analogy actually! But you get the idea!

GO GET LESSONS.

First step before you can ride ANYTHING with an engine is CBT... this is NOT a licence, its just the first lesson.

Here in the UK, contrary to EC laws we allow unqualified riders to take to the roads on L-Plates on a 125 or less, unsupervised.... but just 'cos its legal dont mean its a great idea.....

Lessons to get a full licence are mush the same price whether you want the A1 licence for a 125, or the A2 licence for a 45bhp middle weight, or the ride-what-you-like A-category licence for any damn cc bike you like.....

Plan on lessons, you get the full Ride-What-You-Like Licence for the effort, same as if you did a car test.... no one says after car lessons and licence, "Oh, you got to go but a ferarri, or what was the point!".. same with a bike licence... IF you want a light-weight, under 125cc no one says you cant.... but you could have a 500 or a 650, or even a liter bike IF you wanted...

A-N-D you would be trained and qualified to ride it, and stand some sort of chance of dodging other traffic a bit better, than going it alone on a light-weight on L's, in the school of hard knocks, which doesn't teach you anything... just punished you, usually with extreme physical pain and financial penalty for getting it 'wrong'.

But.. get the lessons, get the licence... then you probably wont WANT anything less than 500cc.. and there are plenty of 500-650 learner-friendly bikes about in various styles, and you'll probably have done lessons on one.... but if you want something smaller no reason why you cant have it.... its a ride what you like licence remember.

More pertinent is what 'style' you would prefer and whether that would suit your intended use for the thing.... I mean, I'd not really relish the idea of doing a round the world tour on a razor for a saddle dirt bike, nor trying to do a cross-city commute on a full-dress Honda Goldwing, or trying to use a Harley Davidson Dyno-Rod on a gravel track!

B-U-T... with lessons and learning to get the licence? You should be a bit more clued up as to what's more of less apt, as well as better prepared to ride it...

AS to insurance? Well, its something of a law unto itself. Prices depend largely on bike style, as much as displacement, but post-code and storage make a bigger difference, as does declared use.

"Commuting" is NOT a standard part of most motorcycle insurance policies any more; bikes are far more often used solely as leisure vehicles, "Commuting" is now usually an 'opt in' on a policy proposal, and one that can bump the premium enormously, as in more than double it.

Anything under 125cc also bears the "Learner-Loading" on premiums. Anything that can be ridden on L-Plates, tends to appear far more often in the insurance company's loss columns; first because over half the bikes sold in the UK are under 125cc so the more numerous, but also, because they tend to most often be ridden by folk with no real training or qualification, on L-Plates......

I have a Honda Seven-Fifty... old duffer insurance on an old bike, means I pay less than £100 a year to insure it. I also have a Honda 125, that's insured at the same address, same storage, same mileage, same value same riders, etc etc etc.... policy price is about £140 a year.... that's 40% MORE for like-for like cover, JUST because other bikes of that type and capacity are bought and ridden by unqualified numpties... and oft crashed by them!

So, you are likely to find, that picking a bigger bike, actually works out 'cheaper' to insure, A-N-D given the prices most new riders have to suffer; that probable saving is likely to 'pay' for a DAS course, in under two or three years.....

So it ALL makes '#sense' to put the licence at the top of the list of things to get, way ahead of 'what bike' and even then... what 'sort' of bike vis make and style etc are all a much bigger deal than how big the fire hole in its engine may be.

Which is a lot of words to ask really, "Why do you ask" cos question suggests ideas and more questions, where direct answer PROBABLY wont help you none, just beg more ideas.... Lessons and a licence would.... Go-Get.

that's basically what I said.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:30 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:10 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that my opinions have any gravitas whatsoever.
I’d get a 125 first and move on to whatever after you have passed your test.
A 50cc moped will feel wishy washy and underpowered.
70cc/90cc will be more like a bike but again a bit week.
A 125 is the closest you can get to a bigger bike on the road until you pass your test.
A 125 is not the least bit scary for a new learner Thumbs Up

A 27 year old woman should be able to get insurance at a reasonable price, shop around.

A 125 will be cheap as chips to run if you live look after it and don’t cane it everywhere you go.
There are certainly more 125’s around to chose from than there are 50’s or 70’s.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAS > fireblade

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RXS100 and keep it. Folded arms

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen a 70cc. Bike

Except a c70 and

125 at the least if not full test and bigger

tara1234
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:19 - 17 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for all these responses. So im going to look for a 125.

So far I have found a 125 scooter (would prefer a proper bike but guess this way ill smash up a bike I dont like while learning) that has an exhaust problem but apparantly runs. Its only £250 though and it needs an exhaust replacment.

How much would I be looking at for an exhaust replacement and is it something I can do myself. I dont have experience working with motorbikes yet but am a fairly skilled cycle mechanic if the skills cross over.

Heres the bike.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/honda-motorbikes/honda-lead-125cc-moped-scooter-vespa-honda-piaggio-yamaha-gilera-peugeot-/1314148259

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 17 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

tara1234 wrote:

So far I have found a 125 scooter (would prefer a proper bike but guess this way ill smash up a bike I dont like while learning) that has an exhaust problem but apparantly runs. Its only £250 though and it needs an exhaust replacment.

How much would I be looking at for an exhaust replacement and is it something I can do myself. I dont have experience working with motorbikes yet but am a fairly skilled cycle mechanic if the skills cross over.

Heres the bike.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/honda-motorbikes/honda-lead-125cc-moped-scooter-vespa-honda-piaggio-yamaha-gilera-peugeot-/1314148259

"The bikes perfect mechanically. No mechanical issues, the engine is great and solid. it starts first time and every time. Despite this, there is a blow in the exhaust which is causing it to be loud and lose a little power so if you are using this for deliveries. I would advise changing that. "

so why hasn't the chap stuck an exhaust on it and asking twice the price?

while asking that question, why looking only to do CBT and spend time on L plates buying, using and selling a bike before doing any more tests?

Why not just go straight in for doing your ride anything licence?

tara1234
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:34 - 17 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
tara1234 wrote:

Heres the bike.

"The bikes perfect mechanically. No mechanical issues, the engine is great and solid. it starts first time and every time. Despite this, there is a blow in the exhaust which is causing it to be loud and lose a little power so if you are using this for deliveries. I would advise changing that. "

so why hasn't the chap stuck an exhaust on it and asking twice the price?

while asking that question, why looking only to do CBT and spend time on L plates buying, using and selling a bike before doing any more tests?

I imagine you need experience to get your full license, was thinking of riding for 2 years on CBT then go for the ride anything license. Although I know the rules of the road from a cycling perspective I imagine that there is a lot I have to learn before id stand a chance of passing a full test?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 23:10 - 17 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

tara1234 wrote:
Wonko The Sane wrote:
I imagine you need experience to get your full license, was thinking of riding for 2 years on CBT then go for the ride anything license. Although I know the rules of the road from a cycling perspective I imagine that there is a lot I have to learn before id stand a chance of passing a full test?

Errr... right..... so, the plan is to buy a bike that's broke, intending to crash it, on L-Plates, having done no more than first lesson of CBT... wobble about for a couple of years getting experience of? Scaring yourself stupid, NOT knowing what you are really doing, on a cheap-knacker scooter sold with problems seller either cant, or cant afford or simplr cant be arsed to fix.... waiting to crash it.....
THEN..... you think you might just go get some lessons?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

Hey! Let us know if you plan to take up hang-gliding! I'll book the flowers for your funeral!!!!!

HOW many people here have said... STUFF the moped ideas, GO GET A LICENCE!

People do it in a week. Its the way they HAVE to do it to get to drive a car.... motorbikes are statistically something like 3x more likely to crash, learners 5x more likely still, and when you crash you dont have box round you to take the bang, you are umpety more likely to go to hospital, or the morgue.....

You will NOT get 'good' experience trying to teach yourself by the school of hard knocks.... you will get hard knocks! You want to learn something GO GET LESSONS!

And if you have notion to do that, do it sooner not later, so you can get good experience of doing the right stuff, right from the start... hopefully have the right ideas and some learning how to do the right stuff, NOT have to guess as you go, A-N-D could do it on any damn cc bike you like, of any style you like, and not be lumbered with a clapped out 125 delivery scooter, cos 'L-Plates'!

GO GET LESSONS - GO GET A FULL LICENCE!

This plan you have right now is a plan for disaster... including crashing a ruddy scooter! It's just daft.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 00:10 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

INB4 snapped exhaust stud(s)

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you live up that London way.
I wouldn't advise you spend a lot until you're sure riding a bike/scoot
is for you.
maybe do the CBT first ?

If you don't know much about bikes, buying a few beers for someone trustworthy, experienced and competent will save you lots of dosh and grief.

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:02 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my CBT, rode on a 125 for a while (CB125F) and then went for my full licence. I'm glad I did it that way. I learned a lot on the 125. I might not have passed the full test first time round if I didn't have the experience of the 125 - that would have cost me time and money not to mention the frustration. I enjoyed riding the 125. If you take care of it you should be able to sell it on for a similar price to what you bought it at.

If I were you I would buy something decent second hand, though. That exhaust problem sounds expensive. Why not buy a bike without an obvious problem and concentrate on riding.

As several people have said: Do your CBT first, then decide. You may feel different once you have the CBT.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johanna wrote:
I did my CBT, rode on a 125 for a while (CB125F) and then went for my full licence. I'm glad I did it that way. I learned a lot on the 125. I might not have passed the full test first time round if I didn't have the experience of the 125

As several people have said: Do your CBT first, then decide. You may feel different once you have the CBT.

it is not in the training school's interest to put you in for your test before you are ready as you'll either give up and not book any more lessons or you'll bad mouth them to anyone who'll listen.

where I did my tests they assessed me for how I was riding (had my CBT for a few months already) and said it would probably take me 5 days (not consecutive)

Took 4, job done.

Some people take longer, some people less, no worries.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:07 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johanna wrote:
I did my CBT, rode on a 125 for a while (CB125F) and then went for my full licence. I'm glad I did it that way. I learned a lot on the 125. I might not have passed the full test first time round if I didn't have the experience of the 125 - that would have cost me time and money not to mention the frustration. I enjoyed riding the 125. If you take care of it you should be able to sell it on for a similar price to what you bought it at.

If I were you I would buy something decent second hand, though. That exhaust problem sounds expensive. Why not buy a bike without an obvious problem and concentrate on riding.

Fwiw I agree with all that.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:11 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
My missus is 30, her insurance quote for a 125 was less than £200. Shop around.

Yes - use the comparison websites and you will probably get a cheaper quote than from people like Carol Nash.

As for the question asked up top. Get a 125 and not a chinese one. I have a year 2000 CG125 and it is a great little bike. Very easy to work on for maintenance and completely reliable. Mind - I had to laugh at the idea that a 70 would be OK for A roads...... Not in my experience unless you want to be stuck at 40 with a headwind and a forty tonne truck, or a time pressured, very frustrated delivery driver sitting on your back wheel.

Buy carefully and if you are not an expert, take someone with you who is, so you don't buy a boat load of trouble.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:22 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP is Roger and I claim my five ponds.

tara1234
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:45 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following this advice I went and got myself a cheap 125 scoot so I can focus on high speeds before having to think about gear shifting.

I passed my CBT and am going for the free 2 hour lesson they give you. Plan to get DAC and then the extra training ASAP, hopefully in the next 6 months. Thinking aboit doing TFLs courier course as its apparantly gooc training.

On another note my scoot maxes out at 55mph is this generally safe to be riding in the slow lane on a dual carriageway (70mph limit). Or should I avoid motorwayish A roads?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 208 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2