Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The French President.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 17 Sep 2018    Post subject: The French President. Reply with quote

Not content with belittling a schoolboy on Twitter for not calling him Mr. President, "man of the people" Macron tells another young job-seeker he's not trying hard enough. I recall from my own youthful job-hunting days that simply being eager to work isn't enough, but what would a privileged politician know about that? Honestly this represents most politicians the world over.

sur votre vélo

(Could have gone in the, "What grinds my gears" thread.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:44 - 17 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article doesn't seem to complain about Macron saying that though. Remember when Tebbit told people to 'Get on their bikes' he got lambasted,

I suppose telling someone to 'cross the road' is more acceptable Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 17 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but it's the BBC and Macron is a staunch EU-rophile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:00 - 17 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Qu'ils mangent du gâteau."

"Let them eat cake."

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 17 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The baby boomer generation shifted all the jobs to China for a quick buck in shares then EU and environMENTAL regulations finished the rest. Now middle aged people wonder why their kids can't get find a job, can't afford a house, can't afford an education and all the rest of it.

As for Macron, I never liked him, I wish many aircraft engine failures upon him.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 21:36 - 17 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
We have record employment in the U.K.

That claim is only backed by the presence of zero-hour contracts. Adjust the values down by 1.8 million, and you'll get a much of rational picture of employment in the UK.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 17 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
mpd72 CPT wrote:

That claim is only backed by the presence of zero-hour contracts. Adjust the values down by 1.8 million, and you'll get a much of rational picture of employment in the UK.

Wonder how many of those 0 hour contracts are topped up with tax credits etc?

In an interesting note, in the last couple of days there's been two announcements from JLR. The first an intake in apprentices, the second cutting plant hours. Laughing
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 17 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

STILL waiting for you to clarify just how many are apparently getting this free money.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:46 - 17 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
STILL waiting for you to clarify just how many are apparently getting this free money.

TBH if people are getting tax credits because it has been decided they are below the acceptable wage limits the only ones getting free money are the companies who should be paying a fair wage to their workers.

The problem is of course, why would they when they know the government will top their money instead.

When I was at sea the tax rules were changed for merchant seamen in that anyone on ships who stayed out of the country for over 180 days in the financial year didn't have to pay income tax. The shipping companies used it as an excuse to freeze pay for years.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 07:13 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:

... Eastern Europe’s full time workers, for only having to work 16 hours a week, topped up with £10k gratis from the tax payer, you can’t blame them for milking the U.K. benefits system.

Yeah, gonna need a citation on that one. Benefits only get paid to citizens who've been present in the country for at least a couple of years, last I heard.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:44 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
mpd72 CPT wrote:

... Eastern Europe’s full time workers, for only having to work 16 hours a week, topped up with £10k gratis from the tax payer, you can’t blame them for milking the U.K. benefits system.

Yeah, gonna need a citation on that one. Benefits only get paid to citizens who've been present in the country for at least a couple of years, last I heard.

He'll now post a link that says should the complete set of perfect circumstances exist, it is possible for someone to get 10k in top ups.

He won't say how many though. Because it's likely a minority of circumstances.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:46 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:

TBH if people are getting tax credits because it has been decided they are below the acceptable wage limits the only ones getting free money are the companies who should be paying a fair wage to their workers.

The problem is of course, why would they when they know the government will top their money instead.

When I was at sea the tax rules were changed for merchant seamen in that anyone on ships who stayed out of the country for over 180 days in the financial year didn't have to pay income tax. The shipping companies used it as an excuse to freeze pay for years.

I agree wholeheartedly. And this is the incoming problem should all NMW foreigners decline substantially. It opens jobs up, sure. But wages won't rise, because they will have a captive audience who are forced into the rules or they'll lose their dole money.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 10:06 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an awful lot of conditional terms used in that analysis for your apparent assertion that 'they're all on the take' to carry much weight. Sure, in an absolute worst-case 100% incidence scenario, that'd be the case, but how many people come here with their spouse and child in tow straight away? Most of the immigrants I've met and worked with have either been single when they've moved here, or have been sending money home. I have yet to encounter anyone that's so industrious fiddling the system as to be able to get the full chunk of proffered support out of it.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time you tried to claim any benefits, such as jsa? I'm not asking this to be judgmental, I'm asking because I don't believe you're entirely conversant with the bureaucratic monolith one would have to deal with to claim. It's a process that can be measured in geological timescales, and given that many of the people from the more recent EU member states are more likely to try and remain off the books entirely, I think that the biggest issue really is in regulation of lower-end employment. Well, that and the fact that pensions are getting ever-costlier for the state to support, and occupy the vast majority of the benefit fund outgoings.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

French President:

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:01 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the French president spreadable Shocked

Dirty frog bastard. Sick

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:
The baby boomer generation shifted all the jobs to China for a quick buck in shares then EU and environMENTAL regulations finished the rest. Now middle aged people wonder why their kids can't get find a job, can't afford a house, can't afford an education and all the rest of it.

As for Macron, I never liked him, I wish many aircraft engine failures upon him.

You’re blaming people in their 60’s and older for mass immigration in Europe, causing a housing shortage, because China?

What do you think the main cause is for EU youth unemployment?
I’m not sure ageism or China are to blame.

No. They are separate. House prices are high because Blair used them as investment vehicles, and now there is a shortage too. Tories is making the problem even worse by "helping" people with the creation of a debt bubble.

mpd72 CPT wrote:

You can’t not count someone as being employed just because of a zero hours contract.

But, yes there’s clearly a problem, when at a time of record tax take and employment, we can’t afford a fit for purpose health or police service. Clearly many of these people counted as being in employment are still a massive drain on the state.

But hey, when you offer a better standard of living to all of Eastern Europe’s full time workers, for only having to work 16 hours a week, topped up with £10k gratis from the tax payer, you can’t blame them for milking the U.K. benefits system.

Which is why we clearly can not longer afford the foreign aid budget. As soon as we concede there isn't enough money for services, we concede the aid budget must but cut (abolished).

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
nowhere.elysium wrote:
There's an awful lot of conditional terms used in that analysis for your apparent assertion that 'they're all on the take' to carry much weight. Sure, in an absolute worst-case 100% incidence scenario, that'd be the case, but how many people come here with their spouse and child in tow straight away? Most of the immigrants I've met and worked with have either been single when they've moved here, or have been sending money home. I have yet to encounter anyone that's so industrious fiddling the system as to be able to get the full chunk of proffered support out of it.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time you tried to claim any benefits, such as jsa? I'm not asking this to be judgmental, I'm asking because I don't believe you're entirely conversant with the bureaucratic monolith one would have to deal with to claim. It's a process that can be measured in geological timescales, and given that many of the people from the more recent EU member states are more likely to try and remain off the books entirely, I think that the biggest issue really is in regulation of lower-end employment. Well, that and the fact that pensions are getting ever-costlier for the state to support, and occupy the vast majority of the benefit fund outgoings.

I'm not saying all are on the take, just saying that the appeal must be very inviting for an Eastern European who is living in abject poverty whilst working long hours in Romania or Bulgaria.

Our benefits system is too generous to be open to people of all EU countries, even ones where average wages and standard of living is so much lower.

I'm amazed that the government aren't asking the ONS to even attempt to measure the level of benefits paid to EU immigrants. I wonder if the answer would be too scary to acknowledge.

We clearly have a problem. The birth rate amongst UK mothers in under 2 and life expectancy is actually going down slightly, unemployment isn't changing much, yet employment is reaching record levels. This reads to me that much of it is due to immigration.

Now, couple this with talk of record tax take, but the country is still skint, public services are getting worse. To me that points to a growing social state bill, the bulk of which seems to tie in with this "record employment" figure, which we all know is heavily loaded with part time and ZHC workers.

So, somehow we're getting an awful lot of workers taking more from the system than they put in. These are not UK workers leaving the unemployment list as the figures don't match. With birth rate and life expectancy as they are, there's only one place that a large proportion of these extra part time, tax credit taking workers can come from and that's immigration. It can't be proved because the government are shying away from asking the ONS to find out the truth. With immigration being such a big issue for a large proportion of voters, as shown by Brexit, you can see why they don't want anyone to know.

P.S. I've never claimed any benefits, so you're right, I don't know the process involved. But it can't be that hard going by the people I meet in every day life who've never worked a day in their life and live an average existence.

I suspect the UK birthrate will drop further, it's logical. The age group that usually has children (millennials) are drowning in debt and priced out of the housing market, so aren't in a position to have kids. Add to this the push for women to be in the boardroom and delay having kids until they are 53 and the result is obvious.

The report ascribes the lower birth rate among millennials to a number of factors, with relative economic disadvantage a key driver. With lower wages and higher accommodation costs in real terms, millennials are living with their parents longer, marrying less and delaying childbirth. Some do not want to add to the population for environmental reasons and others are fearful for the future of children born today. The report cites a 2013 study which found that 58% of millennial female undergraduates do not plan to have children – up from 22% in 1992.
https://www.populationmatters.org/fewer-uk-births-deaths-2016/

So the percentage of undergrad women who says they don't want kids has tripled, and the number of women in uni is over 50%. Stats are for the US but I suspect the problem will be even more severe here.

I'd also toss toxic feminism in there doubly actually. Try this article:

Shortage of eligible men has left women taking desperate steps to preserve their fertility, experts say
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/04/shortage-eligible-men-has-left-women-taking-desperate-steps/

tl;dr Feminism says all the top jobs must go to women. These women now want a similarly highly qualified and well paid husband (also must be attractive and romantic and a feminist). But if women are favoured for these things in the millennial age bracket then that leaves a massive shortage of supply.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:

I presume you mean white, British millennials?

Really? So debt doesn't effect immigrant mothers then? Are you saying immigrants generally get given free houses and only working white people can't afford to pop kids out to get a bigger free house?

That's a bit racist.

That's a pretty accurate summary, yes.

Well yeah, but everything is racist these days. We have also been posting statistics, and supposedly statistics are also racist. As a Brexit voted I am super especially racist. Racism has become synonym for accurate and well informed.

mpd72 CPT wrote:

From the ONS....

Quote:
In 2017 in England and Wales, 28.4% of live-born babies had mothers who were born outside the UK, up from 28.2% in 2016; this is the highest percentage on record since 1969 when country of birth was first collected at birth registration.

Outside the UK, but inside the Middle East and North Africa is more accurate.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 193 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2