Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Son scraped someone's car...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Son scraped someone's car... Reply with quote

A while back my son managed to scrape the bumper of another car while parking his (my Rolling Eyes ) car. Being well brung up, he left a note under the windscreen wiper owning up. Fast forward a bit, and the other driver has contacted him with a quote for almost £400 for the damage, from a franchised dealership.

Here's the thing though. First, this isn't a quote as such - my son walks past this car most days and has noticed that in fact the repair has already been done. Secondly, IMO this is an absolutely mad price... I've seen pics of the damage and the area measured about 1" x 0.5", and was entirely on the plastic bumper; there's no dent or other damage. The guy has clearly taken the vehicle (which unfortunately was on a 17 plate) straight to his main dealer and said 'fix it - the other guy's paying).

Now on the one hand I do sympathise with the guy - he's had his new car scratched by some pratt and wants to be 100% sure it's reinstated to as-new condition. However I do object to the way he's gone about this. My son has texted back pointing out how expensive the quote is, and would he please get another one; and has given the name of a very reputable local body shop who will do a bang-up job for about half that price or less. Hasn't heard back yet!

I'm not sure where my son stands with this really - whereas the guy has been pretty unreasonable in just having the repair carried out in the most expensive way imaginable rather than making any attempt to mitigate his losses, does that carry any water legally, if he decides to push back on the £400? Wouldn't an insurance company have requested more than one quote? What say you, BCF?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:38 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we see said pics of damage?

Ask to see the receipt if it has already been done. If that is what it cost and is from a reputable garage I don't see he has much choice as he has already admitted liability.

If he is trying it on he won't have a bill and I'd then tell him to take a hike.

Shaft or someone else in the industry will probably be along and can give you a breakdown in prices but for a main dealer I expect thats not excessive. They dont get out of bed for less than 3 figures nowadays. Rolling Eyes

May I emphasise everything said above is my own opinion and I am in no way a lawyer. Wink

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it required paint and was done at a main dealer I can see even a small repair reaching £400 quite easily and it sounds as though it has already been paid.

I don't think the other guy is being particularly unreasonable - he is already doing you a favour by letting you pay it directly, if you aren't happy then go via insurance.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
I don't think there's any doubt that the cost reflects what he's paid; the issue is really whether it's reasonable to have simply gone ahead and had the job done at that price.

I wonder what significance to put on the fact that he's deliberately said "the quote will be £400" as opposed to "the repair cost was £400"...

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 12:01 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So,

2 things.

If your son had scratched my 2001 Avensis I would have phoned him up from the note and told him not to worry about it.

If he had Scratched 'My' (VW Financial services Ltd) 2016 Superb I would have called and explained that i have taken it to a main dealer and had them sort it at whatever expense and the bill is £££ and expect payment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the car owner has just buffed it out

Similar thing happened to my GF, she got side swiped on the motorway by a HGV in her VW Beetle (newish shape one)

After exchanging details, HGV driver said to contact his boss rather than insurance, who would pay for any repairs, scuffed rear wing, broken wing mirror (cover had popped off)

After getting quotes for around the £600 mark and getting paid, i went about fixing the car myself

The wing mirror cover popped back on relatively easily, and with very little visible damage, a couple of cracks on the underside

But the best part was the rear wing, got the rotary polisher out, and got it looking like new, i couldn't believe how much of the scuffing came out, and as the rear wings are plastic, there was no dent or deformation of the wing

So, maybe this guy got lucky and polished the most of it out, but not before getting the most expensive quote possible

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Devil's advocate]
The guy wants his car to be back to before-incident condition. He wants it done by a reputable business that he trusts or believes in. He wants to maintain the bodywork and paintwork warranty on the car. In summary, he wants it fixed the way he wants it fixed. It should not be up to the third party to decide how this gets done, especially if the third party will push for a cheaper job.

You damaged it, now you pay for fixing it the way I want it fixed.

Actions and consequences. Lessons learned. Would you rather it went through insurers?
[/Devil's advocate]

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was stupid enough to buy a brand new car and someone did leave a note. I'd definitely take it into the dealership where I bought it from and say, I want to maintain all my warranties that come with a new car. I want it repaired to an acceptable level, considered by the OEM, so I can continue to drive my new car with new car perks.

"Sir it will cost £... but you will still have guarantees for paint longevity etc" - Do it. He's paying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty.
Yeah, I suppose you're right. Good to get other's perspectives on it. Thanks for the feedback

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDonnyBrago wrote:
If it required paint and was done at a main dealer I can see even a small repair reaching £400 quite easily and it sounds as though it has already been paid.

I don't think the other guy is being particularly unreasonable - he is already doing you a favour by letting you pay it directly, if you aren't happy then go via insurance.

This, £400 would soon be reached with VAT and labour.
Half a day gone doing even a small job like that.
Best just pay it I think.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make him pay it, as others have said it actually isn't that mad.

Make sure the lesson your son learns from this is "be careful when you're driving" and not "don't leave a note next time".
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:46 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

£400 is a lot cheaper than how much telling your insurance will cost over the years

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:57 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

I wouldn't want a bang up job from some local body shop. I'm going straight to a main dealer to get the bumper replaced and painted. And yes, the other guy is paying.

"the quote will be £400" as opposed to "the repair cost was £400" could just be him being clumsy with words but either way, it doesn't change the fact that it cost £400 to repair the car.

Seeing an invoice for what it cost is better than seeing a quote for what it will cost since you know that he's not just pocketing the money.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
My son has texted back pointing out how expensive the quote is, and would he please get another one; and has given the name of a very reputable local body shop who will do a bang-up job for about half that price or less. Hasn't heard back yet!

Update: the guy's now replied saying "Sure, will do!" (ie, despite the fact that the job has already been done) Laughing
Can't wait to see how this one pans out! Guesses, anyone?

mpd72 CPT wrote:
On such a new car, I'd be wanting a new bumper painting and fitting, not a "filler" job

No filler involved - it was a light surface scrape
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the argument is about getting a new bumper or not, it's about how he's going about it...

I know a couple of garages I could go to and get a new bumper sourced and fitted for a reasonable price.

Then there are dealerships that will add a zero to do exactly the same job whilst serving you a coffee and croissant for the pleasure of your business and that big wad of cash.

Just because someone else is paying doesn't mean you should spitefully take the piss... Eh?

That and I'm not sure how a new bumper is going to invalidate a car's 'warranty'... Maybe you need volcano insurance to go with that warranty Rolling Eyes

All that being said, £400 for a new bumper sourced and fitted is not that unreasonable on a new car however if he's just had it buffed out for £10 then I'd peg him as a slimey c*nt.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Shaft or someone else in the industry will probably be along and can give you a breakdown in prices but for a main dealer I expect thats not excessive. They dont get out of bed for less than 3 figures nowadays. Rolling Eyes

I've been invoked!

OK, so as it's a main dealer and your son is being asked to fork out £400, that will include VAT - take that out and we're down to £333.

Paint and materials will easily be £150 - £183.

You don't get anything like as much in labour rates for bodywork (as opposed to mechanicals) but I would expect a main dealer to be charging up to £50 an hour, depending on where you are in the country.

£183 / £50 is 3.6 hours, which is not at all out of the way.

tl:dr £400 inc VAT isn't unreasonable.

We're an independent bodyshop and we normally charge around £300 a corner for stuff like that.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 17:36 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price seems fair to me, just pay up.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cheap for a new bumper and paint. Surely it doesn't matter what it cost as the sons paying? Right?
Want to play with big boy toys and break them? Then you get big boy bills to go with it. Life lesson.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it going as long as possible for lolz... But yeah eventually pay it. 👍

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:49 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^
Uh huh, and that attitude would see a letter from your insurance company on your doormat if you'd pulled
that old shit with me. Enjoy your lulz while you pay more for insurance for the next 4 years.
skatefreak wrote:

That and I'm not sure how a new bumper is going to invalidate a car's 'warranty'...

I wouldn't want to find out a cheap, pattern bumper had been fitted immediately after it failed in an legit accident.
OEM parts please, or through the insurance we go. My last reversing escapade cost over 5 grand to get both cars fixed
through the insurance. Protected no claims so meh. My accident was my fault, I said as much at the time. Didn't change
my story and the young lad who's car I smashed got it all properly repaired as he should have done. It was not his fault
I ploughed into his car without looking properly, it was mine.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Bet you are a hoot at parties. Rolling Eyes

It's a joke! And why would you damage your own insurance renewal when someone is offering to pay for it?! Just to save face and teach them not to have lolz. Really??

Rolling Eyes

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:00 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumpers are plastic, not glass. If it's not gouged or cracked then fixing the paint is an appropriate remedy.

The guy's got a dent doctor to fix it for 50 quid and now he's chancing his arm IMO.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very happy if I can have all the scuffs, on all four corners a 6" strip of roof re-sprayed and a tiny but irritating dent in my cars RHS front wing for £400. I somehow think it'll be a few £££ more than that, but my old bruiser has gotta look clean and tidy or I'd never drive it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 213 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2