Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:29 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Wow. Bet you are a hoot at parties. Rolling Eyes

It's a joke! And why would you damage your own insurance renewal when someone is offering to pay for it?! Just to save face and teach them not to have lolz. Really??

Rolling Eyes

I don't go to parties.

Money isn't as important to everybody. Sometimes principle has more worth than £££ and someone taking the piss
out of me and deliberately faffing over payment when a gentlemans agreement was made would find that out quite
quickly. And yes I'd happily pay a bit extra on my own insurance for a few years to make someone suffer a bit for
deliberately pissballing me about. Anyone asking for settlement not involving insurance is obviously worried
about premium increase or they wouldn't be trying to do a deal without involving insurance. I personally don't
really care how much my car insurance costs. I spend 1000's on various insurances every year, what my vehicles
cost to cover is a drop in the ocean compared to the rest of it. I'd feel I'd gotten some VFM if the clever bastard who wanted
to quibble over a reasonably priced repair paid that and more in increased premiums over the next 4 years tbh.
Maybe the next time someone is more than reasonable when they didn't have to be, that person might recognise it as the
gift horse that it is by not having to involve the parasites and play ball nicely next time..

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 16:52 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the flip side, my dad pranged into a mate of mines car. They sorted it out via a dent doctor/chips away whatever.

When the time came to return the car (PCP) the dealer tried to charge them for a new bumper, I'm not sure how it ended up (do not think they paid out) but despite it being a decent repair, (looked fine to us) the dealer spotted it and caused trouble.

Basically I agree with Dodsi. Thumbs Up

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Wow. Bet you are a hoot at parties. Rolling Eyes

It's a joke! And why would you damage your own insurance renewal when someone is offering to pay for it?! Just to save face and teach them not to have lolz. Really??

Rolling Eyes

I don't go to parties.

Money isn't as important to everybody. Sometimes principle has more worth than £££ and someone taking the piss
out of me and deliberately faffing over payment when a gentlemans agreement was made would find that out quite
quickly. And yes I'd happily pay a bit extra on my own insurance for a few years to make someone suffer a bit for
deliberately pissballing me about. Anyone asking for settlement not involving insurance is obviously worried
about premium increase or they wouldn't be trying to do a deal without involving insurance. I personally don't
really care how much my car insurance costs. I spend 1000's on various insurances every year, what my vehicles
cost to cover is a drop in the ocean compared to the rest of it. I'd feel I'd gotten some VFM if the clever bastard who wanted
to quibble over a reasonably priced repair paid that and more in increased premiums over the next 4 years tbh.
Maybe the next time someone is more than reasonable when they didn't have to be, that person might recognise it as the
gift horse that it is by not having to involve the parasites and play ball nicely next time..

Well, if you do ever go to one - might I suggest you don't start with the above as a conversation starter. 👍

OneBall 1971
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:02 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 17 plate Toyota Yaris, someone went into the back of it when my partner was driving it on L plates and he told me to get quotes to repair it. The bumper had popped out on the sides and scuffing.

I rang Toyota and they said approximately £1000 to repair as its the bumper. I informed the guy and he said thats expensive and he got online quotes of around £150 to repair.

Like a fool i agreed, after the repair i went to collect the car and looked it over and it looked ok. After a few weeks noticed the bumper had a slight matt to it and not the same shine as the rest of the car. Also if you slightly lent on the bumper when you got something out the boot the sides would pop off the brackets. I lived with it for 2 months but it niggled in my head. I exchanged it in for a 68 plate Yaris this weekend.

I will never be talked into a cheap repair again to save going through the insurance, even if the repairer promises that you wont notice its been repaired.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:38 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'd gone shopping this weekend, and when we came back there was a decent sized dent, complete with scraped paintwork, on the front near the headlight.

The shop that we were in said that their CCTV only covers the first row of parking spaces (we were in the second), and the only other CCTV was from the adjacent Morrisons (about 1/4 of a mile away). Absolutely fuming.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:
We'd gone shopping this weekend, and when we came back there was a decent sized dent, complete with scraped paintwork, on the front near the headlight.

The shop that we were in said that their CCTV only covers the first row of parking spaces (we were in the second), and the only other CCTV was from the adjacent Morrisons (about 1/4 of a mile away). Absolutely fuming.

Barstards.

Confusing from the shop though. If the camera is pointing towards the first row and you were in the second... Unless it's mounted directly above looking straight down surely it could have captured something? The colour of car at least? Or the cars that drove in and out in the time you were in the shop - even if not necessarily the impact itself?

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
^^^
Uh huh, and that attitude would see a letter from your insurance company on your doormat if you'd pulled
that old shit with me. Enjoy your lulz while you pay more for insurance for the next 4 years.
skatefreak wrote:

That and I'm not sure how a new bumper is going to invalidate a car's 'warranty'...

I wouldn't want to find out a cheap, pattern bumper had been fitted immediately after it failed in an legit accident.
OEM parts please, or through the insurance we go. My last reversing escapade cost over 5 grand to get both cars fixed
through the insurance. Protected no claims so meh. My accident was my fault, I said as much at the time. Didn't change
my story and the young lad who's car I smashed got it all properly repaired as he should have done. It was not his fault
I ploughed into his car without looking properly, it was mine.

You are aware that the bumper is simply a plastic panel, it has no structure to it beyond bending to absorb a small, slow speed impact.

The cross car beam that's behind it that provides the crash protection is what you want to be 'correct' but bending that is usually an insurance job or car replacement time anyway.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:14 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:

You are aware that the bumper is simply a plastic panel, it has no structure to it beyond bending to absorb a small, slow speed impact.

The cross car beam that's behind it that provides the crash protection is what you want to be 'correct' but bending that is usually an insurance job or car replacement time anyway.

Its crash integrity won't stop someone from seeing it for what it is when they come round to buy it though, if the fit and finish ain't right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tittymcarsefa...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:23 - 03 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy your son hit doesn't have to mitigate your sons losses, your son is at fault he needs to take responsibility.

I do hope you made him pay for the damage to your car as well, to make sure he learns his lesson properly.

I't's good that your son had the moral fortitude to leave details rather than just driving away, just next time don't let him use your car then you won't have to get involved.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:11 - 03 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:

Depends on the vehicle. My van has a OEM powdercoated metal bar as its back bumper with a plastic tread plate on top.
£47 will buy a pattern one inc the top tread plate, corner/end caps and towing eye hole cover. If you hit me up the arse
I'd be insisting on a Ford one. Plastic, structural or otherwise. It's what was there beforehand, like for like please.
Whilst I agree that plastic bumpers do next to nothing in a big bang, a cheap plastic pattern bumper will not flex
as well as a proper crash tested OEM bumper will in a minor impact like a car park nudge. Which is mainly
why plastic is used for bumpers in the first place. Along with some stuff about reducing injuries to pedestrian casualties'
I remember cars of my youth all seemed to have slightly rusted chromed bumpers, Laughing it wasn't until the Sierra came
along really before Ford switched over to plastic on everything. I'm from Dagenham, everyone and his dad had a Ford.

Not all plastic is equal. Certainly in regards to density, malleability and simple old fashioned thickness. Pattern bumper
only has to look right and has almost certainly undergone zero crash testing. But what's under the paint is just as
important as the paint to me. Paint hides a multitude of sins, it's no different in the building trade tbh. I wouldn't
buy a used vehicle that had clearly been in a smash, Properly repaired is one thing. But in short, if I can spot the repairs
/panel gap discrepancies etc etc then basically they aren't good enough and I'll keep looking for unmolested example.
Many a shoddy repair has been disguised by a good painter/machine polisher, people are easily bamboozled by shiny things.

I have had two serious car rear enders repaired by insurance in my time, one where I reversed hard into something
causing a total of 5k damage to both cars. And another where someone ploughed into me while I was queueing
for a roundabout. That one was a young lad driving his dads car (uninsured) his dad rang me that night and
asked if was there any way I could say it was him driving and not his boy when I put the claim through and in return
I could have an easy hassle free claim. He was true to his word, no contest to my version of events and everyone
got paid out. My Golf was fixed properly and I took the bumper off myself after the repair to see what kind of job
they had made behind it and to see whether they had used OEM parts throughout which they had.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 178 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2