BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Gravel drive

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tomzo47
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:17 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Gravel drive Reply with quote

So we're moving house soon into somewhere that ticks all the boxes, part from the fact it has a gravel driveway. Took the bike there today and the gravel was that deep it got stuck and I couldn't get to the garage! It's rented so we can't put tarmac or anything down instead. Anyone got any thoughts how to get around this? Thought of laying a few concrete slabs under the gravel but not sure how drainage would work?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:24 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paving slabs, bang em on top or stack em 2 high.

Old railway sleepers too, nice cheap way to create a bike path.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah simply lay a path of paving slabs to the garage; dig out/move away a bit of gravel and spread it around, in order to let the slabs down into the surface of the gravel, so it looks neat. Drainage really won't be a problem!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:02 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burnouts. Gravel drive becomes pebble-dashed house Mr. Green
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deep gravel you say?
https://i.postimg.cc/vZ9Cdghh/96851cdebfead704a11b0834e27dd264cad7272ccee5cbd422f0da32437dbbfd.jpg

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:12 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wtf are you doing to get the bike stuck on gravel? Laughing

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:33 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Old railway sleepers too, nice cheap way to create a really slippery bike path.

I have four holding back about 4tonnes of gravel on my drive and if you should happen to step on one when it's wet
it's like ice. I've fitted some of that aluminuim checker plate to the sleeper that the bike rolls over after having a
scary, front wheel, lateral slide while pushing the bike up the ramp over the sleeper. Very nearly dropped my ER6f.
I have put a small piece of plywood into my stones so there's somewhere for the kickstand to go without it sinking.
I slowly ride across the gravel with both feet dragging the ground for balance to keep some weight over the back tyre.
Trying to push it, my feet lose traction and walking alongside using the engine to propel the bike without any weight on
it just digs the rear tyre in. This fucking FAFF is why my bike rarely sees daylight. It's literally 20 mins work to get
it to the road. At least its 20mm gravel so it doesn't stick in tyres and drag all over the pavement too.

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shop around and you can get stuff like this
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p89578?r=googleshopping&rr=marin&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=CjwKCAjwxILdBRBqEiwAHL2R86tJYZ204rM1y08hJvCN7AOrDsVAlfePPqt0AcgmaT5lsN7w-GMNwRoCQgAQAvD_BwE

We bought ours on ebay and did a whole driveway with it. Bike traverses it no problem. Lot of weeds in ours now though. Embarassed

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a gravel driveway, it just takes practice. The trick is don't stop pushing till you get it where you want it because shunting it from a standstill is difficult. And I have two of the lardiest sports tourers going, but I am a bit of a gorilla.

I did drop the VFR when I very first brought it home though, totally wasn't prepared for the tonnage hitting the gravel.

That gravel grid stuff is good though, you could bed a run of those in and it would certainly help.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:32 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAOZqxoyLMQ

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedgehugger wrote:
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p89578

FTFY... Wink

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:01 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just gonna suggest the plastic grid things too. Been meaning to buy some for our drive. We got a section of gravel beside the drive (where car is parked) that's not too deep, but it's 2 inches lower than main drive way which makes it a right pain to manoeuvre the bike around in the area half on drive-half on lower gravel. Good to hear they work well grip wise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:19 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just put a line of flags on top of the gravel straight to the garage, yes it will only be 2 foot wide, but how much room do you need?

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:21 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
hedgehugger wrote:
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p89578

FTFY... Wink

I was going to suggest grid stuff also.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

flags set into the gravel gets my vote.

I ride over 100 yards of limestone chippings every time I take the bike out including a sharp 90deg turn out of my gate onto them and an S wiggle backwards off paving over the limestone chippings to get through my gate and onto my paved area.

You get used to it, no sudden movements and it's fine, if the gravel really is that deep though, either rake it (easier than shovel) to drop some paving flags in and re-cover with a thin layer of gravel or in as a path you can see the top of with the gravel around it like the rocks on a railway line around the sleepers.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:45 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
flags set into the gravel gets my vote.

I ride over 100 yards of limestone chippings every time I take the bike out including a sharp 90deg turn out of my gate onto them and an S wiggle backwards off paving over the limestone chippings to get through my gate and onto my paved area.

You get used to it, no sudden movements and it's fine, if the gravel really is that deep though, either rake it (easier than shovel) to drop some paving flags in and re-cover with a thin layer of gravel or in as a path you can see the top of with the gravel around it like the BALLAST on a railway line around the sleepers.

IFTFY.

Rolling Eyes

Very Happy

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:34 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google: interlocking grid for gravel

It's cheap plastic grid you can install yourself. It can be removed later easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdhg_ZfznQQ

Chuffin Nora
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:18 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Gravel drive Reply with quote

Cobblers.

Clicked this thread anticipating info about a dynamic and very cheap new form of propulsion.

Sad

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:22 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had much of an issue riding on gravel. Bit of a bitch to push a bike over, but then as a rule it is better to burn dinosaurs than exert oneself unnecessarily.

Tomzo47
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:26 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

should probably explain a bit more, also looking for a stable surface to park the (very heavy) bike on. Gravel is currently VERY deep and not compacted very well, so like driving on marbles! I've been looking at gravel stabilising grids, would these be any good for the side/centre stand?

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:37 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomzo47 wrote:
should probably explain a bit more, also looking for a stable surface to park the (very heavy) bike on. Gravel is currently VERY deep and not compacted very well, so like driving on marbles! I've been looking at gravel stabilising grids, would these be any good for the side/centre stand?

Gravel stabilising grids would work under the tyres, you'll probably want something under the side stand though. At work I use half a roof tile to stop my side stand sinking into the tarmac on a hot day. A square of plywood, bit of slab etc etc will all work fine.

I think your best bet though is to pick up a few council pavers, they are 900x600 so you'd might even get both tyres and the stand on two of them laid end to end. Lay them level with the rest of the driveway, they'll settle fast. Can often get them free on scumtree, so when you move just give them away to someone else.

Last edited by DrDonnyBrago on 09:40 - 19 Sep 2018; edited 2 times in total

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:38 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomzo47 wrote:

If you use something like a side stand pad to spread the load over the stabilising grid, you should be ok

Something like this

https://www.ghostbikes.com/6086-bike-it-motorcycle-stand-pad.html?istCompanyId=afe640d6-8de8-42e7-8d54-69f4d3462c7b&istItemId=wxwiittmlt&istBid=tztx&gclid=CjwKCAjw54fdBRBbEiwAW28S9j0_CPHdyh7iDk5M4gGRvZ_xrDFyyTLJWupW2YD4yN8yw1dZqj5ZHBoCXnsQAvD_BwE

Or as suggested above, a couple of paving slabs to park your bike on

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:56 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also renting and have a gravel drive. I got the bike stuck once and since then I always ride over the gravel instead of pushing the bike.
I guess the problem arises if you have to reverse across the gravel (unless there is a slight slope to assist you). I'm lucky in that I have a patch of grass to turn around on. It's something like an 8-point turn but it's better than walking a bike backwards in gravel!

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same problem a few years back. Ended up turning the bike in the garage on its sidestand and riding out forwards.

Wish I'd considered slabs now!

inline4
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:42 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Paving slabs, bang em on top or stack em 2 high.

Old railway sleepers too, nice cheap way to create a bike path.

This is what i did also.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 213 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2