Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Trouble With Vulcan 1500 Clutch Replacement

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

rebeltaz
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:40 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Trouble With Vulcan 1500 Clutch Replacement Reply with quote

I am replacing the clutches on a 2002 Vulcan VN1500 Classic FI. When it came in, the clutches were slipping BAD. When I took it apart, the metal discs were burnt and there is a distinctive smell of, what smells like to me, hickory. The torque limiter springs were installed incorrectly and one of them is way out of shape. After replacing the friction plates, the metal plates and the torque limiter springs, I went to put everything back together. The operating plate sticks out too far to insert the clip into the retaining groove of the clutch cover. I have found that if I loosen the clutch hub nut quite a bit, then the operating plate will fit. I know that there are larger steel plates, but the service manual only recommends replacing one with an adjustment plate and to be honest, the extra 0.3mm is not going to be anywhere near enough to account for the difference I need.

Also, in the service manual, it says to squeeze the clutch handle while you insert the spring plate pusher. That doesn't really make any sense since pulling the clutch lever in pushes the pusher out!

It's been a long day. What am I missing here?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:18 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you measured the clutch stack heaight and compared it to the manual?

rebeltaz
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:51 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't compare it to the manual, but I did compare it to the stack I pulled out and both were the same.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm completely in the dark with the bike in question but the clutch seems to have a hydraulic mechanism?
Could the hydraulic mechanism have moved a little just like car brake calipers can when the pads are out? I know sometimes you have to shove the pistons back on calipers to get the pads back in (not necessarily new pads)

I could also be way off track.

rebeltaz
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:51 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is hydraulic. The slave cylinder seems to be inside the engine, but I am going to try shoving the push rod back in tomorrow. Hopefully that is all it is. I'm just always scared to push (or pull) to hard on things. I have a tendency to break things!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 219 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1