4 times failed Mod 2

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
after failing 4 times i'd say its time for a different approach & to NOT get some time on a 125 would be just causing yourself even more stress.
ffs DONT hire 1, thats a seriously expensive way to get some (& it wouldnt be much would it?) experience & confidence.
in fact buying a 125 & looking after it (as in not crashing it Very Happy ) usually means you wont actually lose any money on it.
125's (half decent ones especially) attract a premium & rarely go down in value, in fact out of all the 125's ive owned,apart from the ones i still have, i have sold all of them on for at LEAST the same as what i paid for them (usually more though)
as an example, 1500 quid buys a half decent 125 (especially in winter), probably had a couple of owners (whos idea of maintenance is fitting fake c/f indicators & some monster stickers) & might need a wee bit of work but you could buy a bigger bike, probably in better condition for exactly same money.
look at it as your deposit on a bigger bike.
19 quid tax, cheap tpf&t insurance & 1500 for a used varadero, nsr, dt or even a cg125, then forget about the test for a while & actually get out & ENJOY riding.
then once youve had 6months of riding in the real world, take another couple of lessons & finish your test.
by next summer you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.

cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 125 to ride around on for a few months as back then you could do you test on a 125 then ride a big bike. As there was such a low entry barrier it made sense. No real limit on the amount of practise you could do, and the experience was invaluable.

One thing I would say is that if you go down to a 125, things like the turn in the road become harder, as you get used to how easy it is on a 125. For practice I deliberately made it as hard as possible by only using full lock. With a little bit of getting used to it, could do the same on my gixxer. Full lock turn in the road, every single time. After owning a 125 again for the commute, turning the gixxer became hard and took a while to get used to it again.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:54 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been said over and over, but it is right. I rode my 125 thousands of miles pretending all the time that I was on a test. Every move I made I made as if the examiner was right behind me.

I did my test in 1989 and it might have got harder, but they never ever let people pass who were a danger to themselves and others and that I think is what it is about now.

If the op is hiring a bike and doing lessons, unless he is throwing a huge amount of money at the business, he can't have anything like enough experience of riding a bike.

Good luck and don't make ANY excuses. You are either safe or you aren't.

Mk1
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:52 - 29 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ive just passed my mod 1 today . But I spent 3 weeks on my 125 just practicing as much of the mod1 test as i could . But I made the distance between the cones alot smaller . And it helped me I passed first time with no faults
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:29 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting through on a DAS is hard, if you did training in january you'll have lost most of it by now. Get a day or two's training right before you next test date. or a disposable 125. I failed 2 mod 1s and mod 2, and just sneaked through before 2013 when they bought in the new rules. Just test nerves.

Just over a year ago I took my driving test. Was mega stressed, had just split up with my partner, who was the reason for me getitng a car. Convinced i'd made a serious a few minutes in, I could hear it in his tone of voice, and again at a roundabout when I folowed the way I'd ride into town in order to acutally find a parking space rather then the misleading signpost that I didn't look at becasue I knew the way. I spent the last 3rd of the test trying not to burst into tears. Passed with 3 minors, two of which were incredibly pedantic.

Work at it, make sure training coincides with tests and you'll get there. Get a 125 if you can't get a day's training right before your test.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 167 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2