Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

dealing with estate agents and council

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: dealing with estate agents and council Reply with quote

Trying to move into a property but the estate agents are being a nightmare!

i havent got the cash for the rent in advance and deposit for obvious reasons... the council however have agreed to pay this for me.. now is the kicker

after months trying to sort the application out i finally got to the stage of being invited in to sign paperwork and sort payment for deposit and rent in advance, then they told me the money has to come from me directly...

so i tell the council who say "nope cant pay you has to go to them"

estate agents says nope 100% not, they have said the landlords insurance requires all payments to come from me direct and not the council?

This has pissed me off somewhat as the past 2 months ive sat in limbo with nothing to move with and then they spring on me that in 6 days i can move in.. so theres me buying everything i need to move in furniture and stuff... which i now have to store...

anyone know if this is legit or if theyre just being utter arsehats about it (theyve been impossible to deal with since i handed the original fees over)

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you bought stuff with some money (?) before having a place to put the stuff. Now the person who owns and maintains the house has stipulations on how they want payment administered and you're complaining because you haven't got any money?

I'm confused.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:13 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess the landlord has said 'No DSS' and therefore no payments from the council.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:31 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
So, you bought stuff with some money (?) before having a place to put the stuff. Now the person who owns and maintains the house has stipulations on how they want payment administered and you're complaining because you haven't got any money?

I'm confused.

as far as i knew the council where paying the estate agents and all was going smoothly so i bought furniture and stuff, i didnt spend anywhere near the amount required for the rent in advance and deposit

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:34 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I would guess the landlord has said 'No DSS' and therefore no payments from the council.

The landlord would have had to buy a more expensive insurance policy if they wanted DSS tenants and or payments to be accepted from someone other than the tenant.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

its confusing because they said theyre happy to take dss which is why i thought it would be all groovy for them to take dhp..

so its sounding like

"we take dss... if you pay direct to us and dont tell anyone because our insurance doesnt know we are going to take it" which would be why it has to come from me so theres no trail

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: dealing with estate agents and council Reply with quote

Despined_By_Ex wrote:
the landlords insurance requires all payments to come from me direct and not the council?

It absolutely one hundred percent doesn't - it will require a lease agreement signed directly between you and the landlord, not a sub-delegation of lease where landlord rents to an association or council direct and they then plonk you in as a sub-tenant.

Where the rent / deposit comes from is neither here nor there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: dealing with estate agents and council Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Despined_By_Ex wrote:
the landlords insurance requires all payments to come from me direct and not the council?

It absolutely one hundred percent doesn't - it will require a lease agreement signed directly between you and the landlord, not a sub-delegation of lease where landlord rents to an association or council direct and they then plonk you in as a sub-tenant.

Where the rent / deposit comes from is neither here nor there.

the council said the same and are confused as this is the first time they have ever had this issue, i cannot fathom why the estate agents are being funny about it... easy fast money no worries for them and a paying tenant..

currently theyve had a decent sum of money from me and a property stand empty for 2 and a bit months

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despined_By_Ex wrote:
its confusing because they said theyre happy to take dss

Are you absolutely 100% sure about this? Cos this sounds exactly like a classic excuse used by agents/landlords used to deflect applications from people on benefits.

Is the property still being advertised? Maybe get a mate to phone up about it asking if they accept DSS applicants? Maybe they do, and it's just the agents ignorance at play. Trouble is, anyone can set up as a letting agent; there's no regulation and no requirement for any qualifications.

As a last resort, one trick you might want to consider is splashing £3 to look up the property owner/landlord on the Land Registry, so you can bleat to him about how his crappy agent is doing him out of a tenant.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Despined_By_Ex wrote:
its confusing because they said theyre happy to take dss

Are you absolutely 100% sure about this? Cos this sounds exactly like a classic excuse used by agents/landlords used to deflect applications from people on benefits.

Is the property still being advertised? Maybe get a mate to phone up about it asking if they accept DSS applicants? Maybe they do, and it's just the agents ignorance at play. Trouble is, anyone can set up as a letting agent; there's no regulation and no requirement for any qualifications.

As a last resort, one trick you might want to consider is splashing £3 to look up the property owner/landlord on the Land Registry, so you can bleat to him about how his crappy agent is doing him out of a tenant.

yes they said they're fine for dss as long as i pay them from my bank account..

its a franchise company and a large one at that not some overnight thing to earn a quick few quid.

the emails ive been getting from said estate agents keep sounding so suspect, the estate agents are saying theyre in contact with the landlord who has strictly instructed them that they are only to take money from me and not the council... it is sounding like "i dont want to pay for dss insurance so keep hush"

the property is no longer advertised as ive paid all the relevant fees to have it removed, i have a direct debit set up for rent already and an account online with the estate agents to view all the info relating to the property and managing rent..

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despined_By_Ex wrote:
the estate agents are saying theyre in contact with the landlord

This.
Classic excuse from agents to tenant when anything goes wrong is to blame the landlord ("out of our hands, guv).

If it was actually true, and in the event that the agents actually had a clue about their job, then they'd be advising their landlord client along the lines of what arry said, wouldn't they?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:59 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a stipulation in my mortgage that says I can rent the house out, but not to DHSS...

Take from that what you will.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
It's my understanding that under the Universal Credit scheme, all housing benefits are paid directly to the tenant who then spunk up the wall on drugs, fags and booze, rather than paying to the landlord

I was wondering about that - it's one of the main reasons putting landlords off from renting to tenants on benefits. I don't know if it's in force completely and everywhere though. Something for the OP to look into locally maybe?

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The council will happily give me dss to my account monthly with no dramas, but they won't give me near £2k for the rent and deposit, I see both sides of their argument, I may spend it on fagz and ket, but maybe I'm being too unreal in thinking someone could just take a receipt after paying the money out to my account or cut off universal credits forever... if i was in a situation where I was homeless and spent all I had up until now only to find I'm hundreds down on fees and can't move in...that's not helping the homeless numbers drop nor the benefits being claimed, be easier to go to the council plead homeless and never work, have life paid for me forever.

Unsure where to go from here as I'm due to leave where I'm living now at the end of the month which is rapidly approaching.

Had they said on day 1 no dss I wouldn't have bothered spending hundreds on fees and shit.

May as well get a friend to act as my landlord and rent a room out for the same cost, send me the fees after they get paid and then pay the bloody estate agents

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does bcf/arry suggest on this then...hitting walls every say i turn

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:17 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despined_By_Ex wrote:

There's not a lot, I'm afraid, we can do to help you. It's poor people's disease. The only answer is to be rich.

As I said above is absolutely true. I haven't seen anyone update any question sets or statements of facts on residential Property Owners for about a decade. That's probably the catch point which is the monkey is saying who pays the rent and the estate agent is saying council.

A simple message back that you are paying the rent and the contract is signed between you and the landlord is all that should be required. If the estate agent kicks back ask them to show you a DSS assisted tenant in the modern world and what they did with that.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 18:42 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started letting my flat out, I did notice that there was a whole shitload of extra administrivia associated with letting to DSS people - both the insurance and the letting license from the council required extra legwork. Obviously, being the lazy sod that I am, I didn't bother. From a landlord's perspective, there's very little point - aside from the traditional risks associated with DSS applicants, the extra hoops you have to jump through just make it seem needlessly painful.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still lliving the life bare drama

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despined_By_Ex wrote:

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
one trick you might want to consider is splashing £3 to look up the property owner/landlord on the Land Registry, so you can bleat to him about how his crappy agent is doing him out of a tenant.

As above... find out the real story about what the problem is, and explain that he's about to lose a tenant.

It will piss off the agent big time, of course

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:02 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
As above... find out the real story about what the problem is, and explain that he's about to lose a tenant.

It will piss off the agent big time, of course

You're making the very big assumption that the landlord will be bothered about losing out on a DSS tenant.

We need grr to see this thread cos he's a landlord. Pass the popcorn

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:

You're making the very big assumption that the landlord will be bothered about losing out on a DSS tenant.
We need grr to see this thread cos he's a landlord. Pass the popcorn

So am I, as it goes Wink (and I don't use letting agents, or trust them further than I can kick 'em).
Given that the landlord has indicated that he'll accept tenants on benefits, then yes, I'm indeed assuming he wouldn't be happy that his agent is screening out an otherwise acceptable applicant due to either ignorance or incompetence. (If the OP's application falls through now, how many extra weeks of lost rent will the landlord have until the property is let?)

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why should the council pay? You obviously had enough to buy furniture etc .. Just get a job .

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
an otherwise acceptable applicant

Have you read any of the OP's threads?

As a landlord in the past, nothing would concern me more than some utter Gonk like the OP stalking me through the land registry to moan about the letting agent.

No offence OP, best of luck and all that.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:24 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:
As a landlord in the past, nothing would concern me more than some utter Gonk like the OP stalking me through the land registry to moan about the letting agent.

I'd be amused by them wasting their money on it. Razz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 189 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2