Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Attainable would have bike collection.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Attainable would have bike collection. Reply with quote

Following on from seeing the big proper superbike Laverda in Chicken strips thread, it got me thinking.

What would be your ideal series or type of bikes to collect? To make it more realistic I'm thinking nothing silly expensive like Vincent and Brough Superiors etc. It can be either a style of bike I.e sports bike, tourer, street scrambler, or bikes of one particular capacity, or a series of bikes in the same manufacturers range. Eg Suzuki GT triples etc.

For me it would have to be the full range of 1980's 125 motocross replica trail bikes. I like the 80's MX bikes and the way they quickly evolved into water cooled, linkage suspension, power valve, disc braked machines.
I think a Wannabe RM125 etc is a cool bike, and it gave teenager's of the time the look of the MX bikes and riders that they followed or watched on Sundays battling on MX tracks. The 200cc versions were possible would be nice to have as well.

What would you collect?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

90's big 'crossers (KX500, CR500, Husky 500, Maico 700 etc)

or

90's muscle bikes. (ZRX1100, CBX1300, GSX1400).

I grew up with both, rode both, love both.
Now, in 10-15 years, the prices will not be attainable, they're already going skywards.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own or have owned most of the bikes I lusted over as a bairn. However I still want a GT380. Also a 500 H1.

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already own two of my "must have" although one needs restoring. I'd like an RVF400 & an NSR250 & still covert an FZR1000 exup or a GSXR750L.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:03 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only posting here as a courtesy to stevo, as he partook in my thread. Despite occasionally drooling over something like that Laverda I posted about, I'm done with them all now. Got my Fazer 1000, which does all I ask from it, and will probably be my last bike. Like GT above, I owned most of the bikes that interested me, and have ridden enough more recent fare to know that those I missed out on probably wouldn't impress me anymore.

Back in my formative biking years, I just wanted to own the next nuttiest bike, but that's not me now. Where I go on the bike I have has become more important.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve always wanted a ZXR400, but they’re getting harder to find.

I wouldn’t mind a street triple or speed triple too, which I’m going to look at upgrading to next year. Had wedding to pay for this year so I couldn’t afford to have a bike worth more than an iPhone.

Would also like something a bit quaint, like a Royal Enfield.

None of these are expensive or unobtainable in any way, but they’re just too much to be buying on a whim.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
I’ve always wanted a ZXR400, but they’re getting harder to find.

Whatever you do, don't buy one off a bloke called Andy Farrell, last seen doing a 114mph lap of the TT course, on his way to first place, during the Lightweight Manx GP.
That bike was howling, I mean it was, fcukin' HOWLING, (in a good way), flat out, in top, at the end of the Cronk-y-voddy! Mr. Green

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha and Suzuki 2 strokes is my thing. Had plenty of Yam strokers, got 2 YPVS's now and had TZ's etc.
My collection would be -
Yamaha - TZ750, TZ350G, TZ250W, RD400E, TZR3MA, TZR3XV.
Suzuki - RG500 MK3, TR500 Seeley, GT550, GT380, 125 Stinger, B1100p.

Probably cost a fortune but I would if I could.

OGR.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Attainable would have bike collection. Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Following on from seeing the big proper superbike Laverda in Chicken strips thread, it got me thinking.

What would be your ideal series or type of bikes to collect? To make it more realistic I'm thinking nothing silly expensive

What would you collect?

Doesn't that apply to anything these days?

In my lottery win garage, probably my first buys would be an RD400F, a 350LC and a GT750 kettle - really decent nick examples of those are going to cost what, £20K+ the lot?

OK, that's not the £100K the Shadow or Brough is going to cost, but anything up to £10K for a nice GT still seems pretty silly to me.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:28 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air cooled RD125, an MZ 250, Yamaha WR250 Supermoto and that Ducati Supersport thingy.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 08:39 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come to the conclusion that if you don't have the time to ride all your bikes then you have too many. Until recently I had 4 but now down to 3 having sold my GT500 Suzuki. Looking to sell another 2 to help finance another long haul bike that's still to be determined.

If time and money were no object I would have a spread of modern bikes and I'd indulge myself with some 70's smokers.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:13 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it would be bikes from the 2 stroke era, bikes I grew up with.

RD's, GT's, KH's and the like.

But as said, they are getting stupid money for a good one.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:21 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It varies every time I'm asked. Today I am mostly thinking GL500 Silverwing and a GPZ900R.

[edit] Just read the question properly Smile

For a series, probably the Honda CB range; from the 125S, through the 250RS, 400/4, 750, 900F, and a CBX for shits and grins.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take a mooch around DK motorcycles (Two wheel spares), every now and again. They import all kinds of stuff from the States and Europe, even Japan. Apart from them asking silly prices, the quality of stuff they get now is bordering on the hideous. Seems that all the low lying fruit has been picked a while ago, now you are into seriously rusted, seized things that will cost a fortune in time and money to even get running, let alone be presentable. So.... You are left with the restored or nearly complete projects if you want to indulge in a bit of nostalgia.
They say 'never meet your heroes, you are bound to be disappointed'.
So too with stuff from the 60's, 70's. By the 80's there were half way usable bikes out there, but still heavy and lumbering. The 90's hardly qualify as 'classic' they were just about right for modern road conditions.
Having said all that, I want the full set of Bridgestones, especially the 350 GTR. Rare as a very rare thing, over engineered, sublime good looks, always forgotten about.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:20 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no "series" of bikes that I ever wanted. I liked bikes from all different manufacturers, different types. That's what kept it interesting for me. It was always about bikes that fired my imagination, made me want to ride them, not stick them in some private museum collection. What would be the point in that?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:02 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a "series" of bikes I'd still like to try:

KTM Superduke R
Some kind of turbo nutter bike.
Some kind of 2 stroke nutter bike with modern handling and a power band like pulling the pin on a hand grenade (probably the last thing I would ever ride Laughing ).
Maybe an Aprilia V4.
A Kawasaki Z650 with 750 barrels, bored out to 810, tidied handling and prettied up to the nines, cos it was always a project I wanted to do.

If I could have each one for a decent summer season, that'd do it for me.
I'd possibly want to keep the Z650/810 for longer...

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:32 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like an NSR250 MC21 and a TZR250 Reverse Cylinder.

Other than that I pretty much have my dream garage.

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:44 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a hankering for an Italian 70's 2 stroke a few years ago and ended up with all 3 in the series. One has since been sold and I'm trying to convince myself not to part with another.

..he said bidding on another of the same Whistle

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:44 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Yours certainly has variation, and I can see the point in it.
The two you allude to above seem to be more of the same of one you already have though?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:13 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
MarJay wrote:

Yours certainly has variation, and I can see the point in it.
The two you allude to above seem to be more of the same of one you already have though?

Does that matter? My favourite genre of bike is without a doubt the 250 two stroke. However, they aren't practical propositions for commuting or actually going places. We're talking a fantasy garage that is attainable, and my main limitation is space and tax/MOT/Insurance. I could certainly afford to buy pretty much all the bikes I want (short of maybe an NR750 or RC30 or something) but I simply don't have the space. I also don't ride the KR1S enough to justify *another* 250 two stroke. If one day I win the lottery or manage by some other method to never have to work again, I'd certainly do it because I could spend more time fettling and riding, but as it is the four bikes I have take up so much of my spare time. In fact, it looks like I'm going to have to buy yet another bike for commuting into central London, so I'll have even less space.

However, all that said, I plan to spend a bit of cash making my KR1S work properly in the next couple of weeks, so I may well get it to the point where I can *almost* do some level of distance on it without worrying about how I'm going to get home if the little git breaks down again. In actual fact, the KR1S is probably my least favourite of the big 4's two strokes, but the fact that it's easier to work on and more rideable than an RGV and parts are more plentiful and easier to get than the NSR or Reverse Seizure, and the fact that they are cheaper to buy than ALL of the above is the reason I have one. Main downside being that blasted 18" rear wheel. Oh how I yearn for tyre choice! Oh how I yearn for one sticky tyre in the correct size!!

I'm also thinking that I might have to be sensible, logical and practical and get rid of the Buell. I've ridden it maybe 5 times this year (which is 5 times more than I've ridden the KR1S!) and although it's a beautiful bike my rational side is struggling to justify it. What I probably should have done is bought an XB12S lightning as my daily rider, and bought a Daytona 675 track bike, which would reduce my bikes down to 3 (plus the KR1S) but Lightnings are bloody expensive, and the 600RR really suits me. I also have an irrational almost obsessive love for my Street Triple so... *shrugs*.

I tell you what I need... I need a bigger garage!!

I also want to buy a tarty car in the next year or so which also takes up pots of cash. One day. One day I'll own a 6 car garage with a lathe and a milling machine and nearly the same number of bikes as Richard Hammond but sadly that day is not today.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:18 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Does that matter?

Not at all. I just wondered about your rationale, which you have explained clearly.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:22 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I also have an irrational almost obsessive love for my Street Triple so... *shrugs*

I'm like that with my Fazer, and having had one for a while, can see why anyone would be with a Street Triple. Dammit, if I'm not careful, I'll start to miss mine too much!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

vintage trials maybe

would like a scot flying squirrel too, but too pricey

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably keep mine plus a Tiger of some description for high mileage outings if I ever get the bloody time.
Oh and maybe a CRF for those laning cravings.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like my garage to look like this

GSXR1100K

GSXR400 (GK76A)

GSX1400

Enfield Bullet

GSXR1000 K1 (already have)

GSXR750 SRAD

RS125

X7

Reality is by the time my savings recover from buying and renovating a house most of the above will be unobtantium in decent condition.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 189 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2