Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Food (& drink)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Food (& drink) Reply with quote

What, no food thread? Simple food what you have did makeded...

Dinner (cauliflower cheese with radishes roasted on top):

Last edited by Riejufixing on 22:07 - 05 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:18 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight's dinner, which I tend to have about once a week:

Bacon (well, of course Very Happy ).
Leeks
Carrot
Baby new potatoes
Freshly ground black pepper
Rosemary

Just all churned up into a glorious mess.

I hope someone comes in here with a simple, filling yet tasty dish involving healthy vegetables, as I'm not very good at getting enough of those.

Oh, another I have about weekly that's really easy:

Chicken breast
Mediterranean vegetables (red onion, mixed peppers, cherry tomatoes, courgettes - bought as ready-prepared mix, otherwise I'll waste loads)
Marinade: Olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, oregano, basil, salt, freshly ground black pepper
Brown rice
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds as though you're getting your share of vegetables.... I like an "all in one", too, also saves on the washing-up. Roast vegetables is good as an all-in-one. Spuds, carrots, butternut squash, ONIONS, radishes, parsnips, a little bit of celery - perhaps - whatever else comes to hand, you can always put broccoli or cabbage or peas etc. in too part way. Or stick the lot in a pot, boil it for a bit, and squish it wiith the potato masher.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:53 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hsd planned to cook an Iranian lamb curry with chickpeas.

However one hoard of grandkids (3) got foisted on us so I chickened out of cooking and got a family bucket of Kentucky Fried Rat.

It also gave me time to play with the Tomy trainset with the eldest boy. The Girl wasn't allowed to play with the trains though, it's a boys toy. She played with her dolls.

Shocked No gender fluidity in my family.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple but tasty meal, Cottage Pie......... with Tomato Sauce......

Sunday Roast this week is Lamb..

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:43 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
I like an "all in one", too, also saves on the washing-up. Roast vegetables is good as an all-in-one. Spuds, carrots, butternut squash, ONIONS, radishes, parsnips, a little bit of celery - perhaps - whatever else comes to hand, you can always put broccoli or cabbage or peas etc. in too part way. Or stick the lot in a pot, boil it for a bit, and squish it wiith the potato masher.

Sounds good. I'll have to try something along those lines. Long time since I had roast veg of that kind, since roast meats are a bit on the expensive side for me, and I'm not keen on using up as cold cuts later. I could always throw a chicken breast in again for a bit of protein without much fat. I'm not one of those dreadful vegetarian weirdos Laughing

One-pot is my speciality: Bolognese, curries, casseroles and stews. As I live alone, they're easy to put together in large amounts, then split down and freeze in single helpings.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:51 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm didn't eat as much today as I normally do

just cereal for breakfast
energy drink and a cereal bar as a mid morning snack
chocolate cake and a banana before lunch
soup and bread for lunch, and some bacon
more chocolate cake in the afternoon

minced beef cobbler for tea
treacle sponge and custard

another bowl of cereal, and about a dozen chcoloates

only cycled 50 miles today though

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:13 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday was our monthly Chinese pig out. Nom.
Today's eats will be pork chops, white cabbage, carrots, peas with a light misting of gravy.
Oh, I forgot the mashed spuds.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:34 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am on self catering holiday in Wales.
To keep me warm from the rain, Rolling Eyes yesterday I did eat a meal I like to have at home once a week.

A pair of pan fried filet steaks, 3 fried eggs, a pile of steamed buttered broccoli and some dry fried halloumi.

Out for dindins later, found a nice dog friendly pub for Sunday Roast.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:30 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

last night was jacket spuds with cheese and bacon in

today we have toad in the hole made with glouster old spot sausages

that had been wrongly reduced as they read the date wrong Laughing

six sausages for £1.49 Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:20 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Yesterday was our monthly Chinese pig out. Nom.

I will never buy another Chinese takeaway now I've had some practice at doing my own Chinese-style food. You can get everything you need in your average supermarket now, and it's one of the quickest and easiest things to do. I keep tins of water chestnuts and bamboo shoot slices all the time now, along with a few other bits, so all I have to do is buy fresh veg when I want to do it. Oyster sauce FTW!

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
toad in the hole made with glouster old spot sausages

that had been wrongly reduced as they read the date wrong Laughing

six sausages for £1.49 Thumbs Up

It's good when that happens. I often buy stuff from Lidl/Aldi, who often reduce stuff because they've had a new delivery or it's end of line or whatever. It's quite often got a couple of days or more left.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:07 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, no pics of your simple home-made dishes?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:09 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Send me the money, and I'll get in the kitchen Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:19 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, since you keep emphasising it, perhaps you could clarify your definition of "simple" food? Everything I've mentioned in here so far, I would consider as simple.

Another one I like for breakfast or lunch - fillet of smoked mackerel and scrambled eggs on toast - the bread for the toast to be of the roughest wholemeal I can find, and the eggs...yup, with freshly ground black pepper!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:33 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favourite summer dish:

Chicken thighs, boned but skin on.
Marinade*: Olive oil, freshly squeezed lemon juice, crushed garlic, cumin, coriander (ground), chopped chillies, salt, pepper. Should end up the consistency of a thick paste.

Grilled on one of those ridged grill pans, and served with a simple salad, and the roughest wholemeal rolls I can find.

Essential!: squeeze wedges of fresh limes, and generously sprinkle salt over salad to serve. Also, empty pan juices over the chicken on the plate.

*I call it a marinade, but you don't want the chicken to sit in it for too long, or you'll never get the skin to go crispy. 20mins at most.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:54 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite dish is a salad.

Chicken tikka, lettuce, tomato, red onion, cucumber, gherkins and jalapenos (all diced very small) and a microwavable 2-minute Spicy Mexican rice (from Morrisons because it's healthier than the other brands).
This is a meal which is mega quick and easy to make, tastes fantastic and is incredibly healthy (at only half a Syn for Slimming World).

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:03 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another regular:

Chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
Olive oil
Chopped green peppers.
Tinned chopped tomatoes.
Sliced onions
Garlic (crushed)
Paprika (ordinary or smoked)
Cayenne pepper
Salt

Cooked in a large pan, served with long-grain rice. Good one for freezing in single servings.

For a slightly more complicated version, replace green peppers with yellow and red, and add slices of chorizo. I keep thinking this version needs a herb too, but haven't decided which would be best. Something with a bit of 'zing', I reckon.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:10 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ingredients for dinner tonight:

https://i.postimg.cc/h4r3xgdm/DSCN1072.jpg

Can you guess what it is yet? Laughing

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classic spag bols.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:27 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Classic spag bols.

Clapping Give that man a sweetie Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:27 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Ok, the end result:

https://i.postimg.cc/SRQpM2BP/DSCN1073.jpg

As usual, served myself waaaay too much pasta Rolling Eyes

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

Ok, the end result:

https://i.postimg.cc/SRQpM2BP/DSCN1073.jpg

As usual, served myself waaaay too much pasta Rolling Eyes

Looks superb. You can ever have too much spag bola.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:57 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many are you cooking for, the 5000? Shocked

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:25 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to do enough to have a snack later Laughing

No, got 5 servings total from that, 4 gone in separate pots for freezing. Works out at under 3 quid a meal.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 187 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3