Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:
What, no pics of your simple home-made dishes?

Ok, the end result:

Yay! Well done, looks good. As to your earlier question, I think "simple" is from basic everyday inexpensive ingredients (even tinned!) that anyone can do with minimal knowledge and equipment.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
5 servings total from that, 4 gone in separate pots for freezing. Works out at under 3 quid a meal.

My God, remind me not to shop at Etcso!! Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:20 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
As to your earlier question, I think "simple" is from basic everyday inexpensive ingredients (even tinned!) that anyone can do with minimal knowledge and equipment.

Thinking

I think everything I've mentioned so far fits that criteria. There are always little skills that you pick up even for the most basic dishes, but if you know which end of a knife to hold, and know which edge of the blade is sharp, you can do most anything I cook.

As to the cost of ingredients, since I'm poor, I've learned to adjust some fancy recipes for cheaper ingredients, and the things have become cheaper with the introduction of supermarket own brands. Don't knock them if money's a bit tight, you can still make some pretty tasty meals with them.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
5 servings total from that, 4 gone in separate pots for freezing. Works out at under 3 quid a meal.

My God, remind me not to shop at Etcso!! Smile

Hmm, I've looked around Aldi/Lidl places, but found them a bit limiting on choice of some things. But also, there's a Tesco virtually next door to me, and I'm lazy Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick and simple fav of me and the lads is what we call pitta bread pizzas.
I like to warm them for a wee bit in the micro then add tomato puree and chopped garlic ( gotta have garlic!)
then pile on what ever takes me fancy or I have in the fridge.
Next grate cheese on and put it under the gril for 5-10 minutes until cheese is golden brown then scoff

Lubbly

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

Ok, the end result:

https://i.postimg.cc/SRQpM2BP/DSCN1073.jpg

As usual, served myself waaaay too much pasta Rolling Eyes

No such thing as too much pasta.... IMO..... Laughing

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I've looked around Aldi/Lidl places, but found them a bit limiting on choice of some things

They are rather limited in choice. However, mince, peppers, butter, lard, other meat/veg., etc. are "standard", and with "standard" one can build lots of things. Avoid really cheap tinned stuff though, sometimes it's OK to eat but yuck (17p tinned soup, for instance! Never again!).

I've just had pork fillet with cheating jacket potatoes (microwave, finish under grill), with kale and carrots. Fillet £1.75/410g x2 from the Nisa place in St David's (2015!), reduced from a lot more, say about £4.50 for 3 meals (The Boy has eaten one...). I like buying reduced stuff. Lidl only does 30% off, Aldi 50% off, both places can have short or long BB4 or UB dates. The Co-Op locally reduces things to 1/10 of original just after 8 p.b., but they're always "BB4 or UB "today". Well, tomorrow, anyway. Maybe a few more days if it's "whole" veg. or meat.

Nisa is a bit odd. I say "Neezer", but the shop says "Nicer", which I can't get on with. It Nisa in Charmouth once I found ("Captain Jack"?) cider on sale in 2 1/2 litres, really cheaply for that sort of thing, £2.55 ISTR, well worth a glug. Anyway.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Hmm, I've looked around Aldi/Lidl places, but found them a bit limiting on choice of some things. But also, there's a Tesco virtually next door to me, and I'm lazy Laughing

They can be limiting, but that can also make you creative.

Tonight was an Aldi special - two pork loin steaks (£2 for 4) on a bed of packet garlic and mushroom risotto (79p) which makes for an extremely tasty and filling meal for under 2 quid.

The left over steaks have gone in the freezer, for a bit of variety they will probably be combined with some egg noodles (59p) and a sachet of sweet and sour sauce (50p) for a Chinese hack.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:24 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm not into going as cheap as I possibly can, like some kind of competition, even while unemployed. I have a bank account - they have loads of money! Laughing

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
The left over steaks have gone in the freezer, for a bit of variety they will probably be combined with some egg noodles (59p) and a sachet of sweet and sour sauce (50p) for a Chinese hack.

Ah, so.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
No, I'm not into going as cheap as I possibly can, like some kind of competition, even while unemployed. I have a bank account - they have loads of money! Laughing

It's a hard thing to get over - the first time I walked into a Lidl, I actually stood there and thought, why do I need to come down to this.

Then I realised that the products cook the same, taste the same and, in some instances, aren't available from mainstream supermarkets.

For example, my local supermarket is a Co-op and of the two meals I mentioned before, the pork steaks are a pound more, the noodles are twice the price and they don't sell the sauce or the risotto.

There's lot of people on here that have good things to say about Aldi/Lidl bike gear/tools/DIY stuff - why not their food?

A good friend of mine is a professional chef and reckons that Aldi/Lidl fresh veg is pretty much the best value on the market.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:12 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Aldi for certain things. I also use Iceland because they are next door to each other and somethings from Iceland are pennies.

I prefer Asda though, simply because I know it, it's huge in MK (biggest in the country) and you can get anything there. Asdas soy sauce is cheap, the imported soy sauce in the oriental aisle is half the price. Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:03 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not that fussy where I get food from. I'm responsible for keeping us stocked up, wife hates supermarkets so if she
(rarely) ever goes she comes back without half of what she went for just in a bid to get out of the place. Plus I have more
time to amble between a few different places, I'm quite spoilt having a Tesco ALdi, Lidl, Sainsburys, Co-op and a Waitrose
all within a 4 mile radius and have no pretensions about where I go although the Tesco and Waitrose are closer. Mainly
it's because I can only get certain things in certain places. For instance I've only ever seen my preferred beer in Waitrose.
For some reason I don't use Iceland despite having one really close. I have two freezers chock full of food at home
but it never occurs to me to ever go into Iceland. Looking through the window, it does seem to attract the pram pushing,
4 kids in tow, chicken nugget brigade so maybe that's what's putting me off on some level.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:07 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm losing interest in this thread now. Anyone got any decent recipes?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:16 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
For instance I've only ever seen my preferred beer in Waitrose.

G'wan, g'wan, what's that then?

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Was too busy eating it to take pics

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big fan of Aldi and Lidl for the wine, certain meats and veg.

Cooked a nice meal this evening, one pan wonder:
Diced onion, garlic, chicken thighs, brown those off a little, add chicken stock, oven for a bit. Add broccoli and chickpeas, oven for a little longer, finish with spinach and lemon juice. Little serving of rice and you're good to go.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Food. Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
What, no food thread? Simple food what you have did makeded...

Meanwhile 6 years ago:-

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=254506&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Wink

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:19 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
grr666 wrote:
For instance I've only ever seen my preferred beer in Waitrose.

G'wan, g'wan, what's that then?

https://res.cloudinary.com/ratebeer/image/upload/w_152,h_309,c_pad,d_beer_img_default.png,f_auto/beer_116128

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/oakham-citra/116128/

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:19 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Food. Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:
What, no food thread? Simple food what you have did makeded...

Meanwhile 6 years ago:-

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=254506&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Wink

COR! That looks good. Now I'm hungry.

By the way, the worktop in the picture is a likeness of Larvikite, a granite from Norway, possessing large and uniform crystals of feldspar. I see that the pieces of meat 'n' veg in the pie are artistically reflected in the form of the worktop! Nice!

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:25 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I'm losing interest in this thread now. Anyone got any decent recipes?

Yes thank you. Laughing

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:43 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Food. Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
By the way, the worktop in the picture is a likeness of Larvikite, a granite from Norway, possessing large and uniform crystals of feldspar.

I was told, when I went along to choose the worktop, that it was granite, that was all.
It was cut from a huge, irregular, slab of the stuff, it turned up two weeks later to be fitted, all nicely polished!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:25 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not keen on many veg. without some kind of sauce, which is why I find it hard to eat enough. So I'm thinking about a low fat replacement for a cream and mushroom sauce. I'm going to try semi-skimmed milk and cornflour as the base, and I think I'll make it a mushroom and peppercorn sauce. Should be able to use that with quite a few things.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to eat things that I can buy without getting out of my car. Kinda limits me to fast food and icecream. Although, Mr whippy has asked me to stop running over children.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:54 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatjames wrote:
Although, Mr whippy has asked me to stop running over children.

Don't listen to that killjoy.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 184 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3