Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mk1
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:55 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Seat hight Reply with quote

Seat hight
Hi all
I've just got back into the bike scene ive done my CBT and theory test and now waiting to do my mod1 in a few wks but the thing is im worried the seat hight on a 650cc as im only 5'5" ive been practicing my slow riding on my 125cc but not sure if this will help me 650 is a lot bigger. Can anyone give me any advice on this thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Renton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The principles of riding slow will remain the same - head up; look forward where you want the bike to go, and be smooth with your inputs.

Does the school you are learning with have a lowered bike? It’s worth asking the question, as most do nowadays.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:56 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said in the other thread, I'm 5'6" and didn't have any problem at all learning to ride a 650cc bike.
Once I passed, I bought a CBR650F which has 810mm seat height. That's about average seat height (as far as I know), but still higher than the various bikes I've seen schools use. I'm very comfortable on my 810mm seat and I'm sure with your similar height you'll wonder why you were worried before!
As for the practice you've been doing on the 125 - yes, that will help a lot! I assume you're taking some lessons before Mod1 with a school? If so they will fill in all the gaps.

Mk1
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:54 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah doing a 8 1/2 hour days training on the 28th of next month as they think thats all I need and then test on the monday morning at 8.15. When i been doing a bit of training ive made the distance between the cones smaller as im only on a 125 so hopefully it will help. I've been trying to just keep going round and round on full lock at slow speeds but I keep putting my feet down its so hard to keep my balance

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you doing a slalom followed by figure of 8?

Remember that you can go quite wide for the figure of 8. For the slalom you go between each set of cones but then you can take the figure of 8 a bit wider. You'll never need full lock.

How are you finding the U-turn?

Mk1
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:02 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes got it down to around 4mph cant go any slower

Mk1
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:05 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm U turn sometimes im good others end up puting my foot down i know thats a No No on test. Think I'm trying to go to slow

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:34 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Seat hight Reply with quote

Mk1 wrote:
im only 5'5"

You lucky bastard! 1/2" taller than me!

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:00 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try going a little faster than 4mph for slalom and figure-8. See if it helps.

You need to go about 4mph in a straight line for the slow ride. Can you ride slow in a straight line ok?

I genuinely think you're doing things in a way that's more difficult than the test will be. But that's good. It's good practice.

Mk1
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:10 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs says that 1/2 inch makes all the difference lol . I'm trying to make it harder so hopefully I will find it easy on my test

Mk1
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:14 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a straight line i can around 3 mph no problem

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mk1 wrote:
Mrs says that 1/2 inch makes all the difference lol . I'm trying to make it harder

Well that will definitely make a difference Shocked

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 1/2 hours would be almost dawn till dusk! Good luck.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:29 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johanna wrote:
Try going a little faster than 4mph for slalom and figure-8. See if it helps.

And U turn,

There is nowhere that says how slow the slow riding has to be, it does need to be controlled so if you are wobbling around at 4mph then you are not in control.

The thing is, slow control on the bigger bikes is much easier, the bikes have a lower centre of gravity with the weight and they feel more planted. You'll find it so much easier.

Mk1 wrote:
Mrs says that 1/2 inch makes all the difference lol . I'm trying to make it harder so hopefully I will find it easy on my test

Yeah I have half an inch on you and your mrs tells me the same thing. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mk1
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:51 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will just keep practicing untill i do my test on the 28th Oct and let you know how I get on Very Happy

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:16 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Height isn't as important as leg length.

I'm 5ft 6 and have 28" legs, proper stumpy! If you have 30-31"+ legs you will have a large advantage.

The riding school gave me a gs500 for my DAS back in the day with a lower saddle, they had it carved out for dwarves like me Smile did the trick.

First bike was a shock though, cbr600f sport, 810mm seat height or so, i was on tip toes.

Every bike ever since has been the same Laughing you get used to it, don't be put off.

Enquire with your school about a low bike. Though when you turn up for training they will do their best to get you comfortable anyway, probably have a lowered bike for shorties, or perhaps a low seat option etc.

Mk1
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:37 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've asked about the seat hight as you I only have a 28inch leg and they have a 650 with 765mm seat hight so should be ok I hope

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:09 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

repeated fault (hight) makes it a serious fault and results in a MOD 2 fail

Mk1
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:01 - 29 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone just to let you know I passed my mod1 today with no faults

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 29 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

765mm with a 28" inside leg you won't be flat footed but you'll not be wobbling on tippytoes either. I know from stumpy experience Thumbs Up

Well done on the mod 1 Smile

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:15 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mk1 wrote:

Nice one, congratulations!
I had a minor for being slightly slow in the speed trap when I did mine! Well done on the zero faults!
When is your Mod2?
How was the seat height by the way?

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mk1 wrote:

Congrats Thumbs Up

https://i.makeagif.com/media/10-31-2018/ChC8_p.gif

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Mk1 wrote:

Congrats Thumbs Up

https://i.makeagif.com/media/10-31-2018/ChC8_p.gif

Brilliant gif, I found the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YId9Pr_RlIo

Have seen more regular shorter people doing similar with a big off road bike, its worth being able to do it anyway for unexpected awkward moments.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:40 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

How did that person get from not being able to get on the bike to being able to do that?! Surely the learning process must involve a lot of falling off?

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are already in gear, clutch gently out and as long as you don't over balance the bike off you go. They are not pushing it off by hand to get going. Big bike = very stable when upright/./ Moving forward
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 149 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2