Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Quick learner bike question - CG125 replacement?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with not tuning a CG. Total and utter waste of time and money. Sounds like you have plenty other tuning projects to satisfy that urge anyway.

Carb Vs FI wouldn't even feature in my decision. FI is likely more reliable and will give better fuel economy, carb will be cheaper and easier to fix if it goes wrong. Its unlikely FI will break but a poorly set up carb can cause plenty problems. I say that as someone who has 2 carved bikes and one FI (one of which is a CG).

CGs are good wee bikes, cheap as chips to own and run but there are plenty dogs around. Mine has 30k and has been pretty reliable. It does need tweaking occasionally though.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The truth reveals itself. Ok so OP is mechanically curious, likes a tinker and has a notion that riding a bike on the right day could be fun. The 125 is probably because of lack of need as well as lack of budget.

I'd have to agree with the Teffing you got, and wait until the spring weather is here and you find enough time and cash burning a hole to get yourself along to a CBT course. Nothing more than that, no buying gear or projects or looking for a carbed 125 until you've got a pass cert in your hand.

It sounds like you've got more than enough projects on the go, and a great way to bleed away cash into a hole (car project/non std engine re-build). That project alone will use up your spare time and cash and it'll have teething problems and unforseen expense when done or things that'll break and need replacing modifying or strengthening etc.

Im seeing my own similarities here, and three projects, a house/garden and work, excersise and social life uses up all the time I have and more. I actually sometimes yearn for a new std bike to ride and take to a dealer for servicing. I do mountain biking and I don't even service my mtb myself as im too busy to have bikes in bits in the house etc.

I see your modern style averse too, and the CG is a semi classic design that is visually and simplistically appealing to you.

But you like many absolutely don't need a motorbike in your life to get you places, to earn a living or allow you to get out where theres no other way of getting around.

Therefore if and when you've done CBT next year and hopefully got your 4wheel money pit to a more complete but never finished state, and if CBT makes you want to ride a bike and not give up, it's 50/50 for many people who think they want a bike by the way. Then if your still classic bike and 125 eager to proceed then you can look for a used running bike in the style you like and do these little bits and bobs to depending on if yoif it's the riding that interests you more than the tinkering.

I'd possibly forget being transfixed on any make and model, and look for a classic style bike you like that's running well enough to use but could be tided up over time.
Seeing as you have no need for a bike and arnt going to get all whipped up about mpg and fuel tank sizes etc, then a classic 100-125 two stroke roadster would be just as good as a CG.

Not that you can make it necessarily better or faster for pennies, but it's a simpler job to fix or re-build an engine and old strokers reward being carefully fettled and have everything set up exactly as it should be in the manual.

Just adding some alternatives and a wider net to cast compared to trying to hunt down a CG in the spec and style you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

get yourself a grom/Msx125 then you can piss around til the end of time adding alloy tat and custom widgets that can persuade yourself is making it loads faster. (But make fuck all difference)

m1tch
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:22 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDonnyBrago wrote:
m1tch wrote:
Perhaps I should just go with a YBR125 to start with as they are common, on the flip side I would rather have something sitting in the garage that I would look at and go 'yeah I will go for a ride' rather than a more modern looking bike that lacks a bit of character if you know what I mean?

Right... they look identical. It's like having an inspiring spanner:
https://fichatecnica.motosblog.com.br/fotos/Yamaha_YBR_125_ED_2002_91f65a5a2b.jpg
https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/moto_gallery/HONDACG125-1375_1.jpg

The CG125 styling was updated in 2004, in 2005 the Yamaha YBR125 came out looking identical to the facelift CG125 - think someone might have been copying.

YBR125
https://fichatecnica.motosblog.com.br/fotos/Yamaha_YBR_125_ED_2002_91f65a5a2b.jpg

Pre facelift CG125
https://www.thebikemarket.co.uk/media/499085/0%20main.JPG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

m1tch
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:29 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
The truth reveals itself. Ok so OP is mechanically curious, likes a tinker and has a notion that riding a bike on the right day could be fun. The 125 is probably because of lack of need as well as lack of budget.

I'd have to agree with the Teffing you got, and wait until the spring weather is here and you find enough time and cash burning a hole to get yourself along to a CBT course. Nothing more than that, no buying gear or projects or looking for a carbed 125 until you've got a pass cert in your hand.

It sounds like you've got more than enough projects on the go, and a great way to bleed away cash into a hole (car project/non std engine re-build). That project alone will use up your spare time and cash and it'll have teething problems and unforseen expense when done or things that'll break and need replacing modifying or strengthening etc.

Im seeing my own similarities here, and three projects, a house/garden and work, excersise and social life uses up all the time I have and more. I actually sometimes yearn for a new std bike to ride and take to a dealer for servicing. I do mountain biking and I don't even service my mtb myself as im too busy to have bikes in bits in the house etc.

I see your modern style averse too, and the CG is a semi classic design that is visually and simplistically appealing to you.

But you like many absolutely don't need a motorbike in your life to get you places, to earn a living or allow you to get out where theres no other way of getting around.

Therefore if and when you've done CBT next year and hopefully got your 4wheel money pit to a more complete but never finished state, and if CBT makes you want to ride a bike and not give up, it's 50/50 for many people who think they want a bike by the way. Then if your still classic bike and 125 eager to proceed then you can look for a used running bike in the style you like and do these little bits and bobs to depending on if yoif it's the riding that interests you more than the tinkering.

I'd possibly forget being transfixed on any make and model, and look for a classic style bike you like that's running well enough to use but could be tided up over time.
Seeing as you have no need for a bike and arnt going to get all whipped up about mpg and fuel tank sizes etc, then a classic 100-125 two stroke roadster would be just as good as a CG.

Not that you can make it necessarily better or faster for pennies, but it's a simpler job to fix or re-build an engine and old strokers reward being carefully fettled and have everything set up exactly as it should be in the manual.

Just adding some alternatives and a wider net to cast compared to trying to hunt down a CG in the spec and style you want.

I don't really have a budget in mind to be honest, I know the helmet/leathers/gloves etc will probably cost more than the used bike I get anyway lol. I have condensed my projects to the weekend car and looking to get into riding, a few guys at work ride and they are really enthusiastic about it and I can see the appeal.

I won't get transfixed with a single make or model, will get my CBT sorted next year - the way I see it is when I sort out the CBT I have up to 2 years to decide if its exactly what I want for me to go for a full licence etc. Its more of a case of working out what I am actually after and seeing what the usual models are out there people might suggest to go with so that when I do have a bit of paper in my hand I am ready to find something right away.

I know this forum is a wealth of knowledge but I am sure everyone on here was in my position once looking forward to getting their first bike etc.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:14 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

m1tch wrote:
.....but I am sure everyone on here was in my position once looking forward to getting their first bike etc.

I well remember buying my first bike. It was in 1967. I was 16 and on a winter night I peered at some old junk in a dark unloved corner of a dodgy looking dealers. It was so dim, I could hardly see what I was buying but he had a bike I could pay for and that was all I needed to know. I had five quid. The bloke sold me an old Bantam D1 with a solid back end and the price was four pounds ten shillings. He warned me to push it home and fix it up before I rode it. I started pushing it the two miles home and then wheeled it up a back lane, put it in gear and pushed it. I couldn't believe my luck when the bugger burst into life. The lights even worked and I rode it home like I was the king of cool.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

m1tch wrote:
facelift stuff

There was a facelift in 98 also with the W and later M1 models (2001, with electric start) that looks similar to the 04 ones. Mine is an M1 although I need to get around to replacing the bushes in the starter motor that doesn't work.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 03:04 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusterGonads wrote:
m1tch wrote:
.....but I am sure everyone on here was in my position once looking forward to getting their first bike etc.

I well remember buying my first bike.

In 1967 I wasn't even a glint in my Daddy's eye!
I DO however remember the first bike I ever bought..... I still have it!!!
It wasn't my first bike, though.... just the first that I paid anything for!
https://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s209/montesa-trials/02_MyTrials/my248_01.jpg
That's it, in about 2002 ish, after the umpeteth renovation.
SIMILAR story though..... dark and dingy garden shed in my case, and I was 15... almost a year off being old enough to ride a moped on Her-Majesty's, a couple off being able to ride a 125, and a wobble-round-the block test to ride anything.

For a Sunny-Day play-thing, that dont have to work for a living, and can provide YEARS I say, of endless 'Fun' fixing and riding, it DOES bear some thunks. No tax, no insurance, no MOT, and in competition trials, even no scrutineering! A years club dues and ACU 'trials' licence, AND a seasons worth of 12 event entry fees, is still barely as much as I have to pay for the road insurance on the 125... which I have to mention is 50% more a year than for the Seven-Fifty....

Riding on the road, is no real challenge really, and its somewhere points don't make prizes; competition IS a challenge and one where you get a measure each and every section in the case of trials how well, or more likely not, you are doing; rather than fishermens tales of daring do obtained on public highway... you also get to see some beautiful countryside.. usually at VERY close quarters, you wouldn't get to see from tarmac.

Wonderful thing about trials, especially the classic classes, is that you have real reason to fix up the old junk, then get to go trash it, and do all over as bruises fade!!!!

BUT, it is the big trap of learner legals, heaping SO much expectation and aspiration onto something SO small, that really has little chance of fullfilling even half of them.

Separate the variables; learning to ride is one, thing. Getting a licence yet another; Going and riding 'for fun' yet another again, and fixing and fettling and playing spanners a completely independent occupation all together.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tittymcarsefa...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:56 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_xl125v_veradero%2011.htm

One of these maybe? not a small looking bike for a 125 and definatelt not cheap compared to the cg, cbf, ybr etc,

I would imagine they are of better build quality than the made in chine ybr,

lexmoto do a fair few old model ybr based bikes the aspire 125 is basically a ybr updated with disc brakes and stuff.

They even have one with an mp3 player and speakers built into the tank shrouds.

Supposedly the varadero is good for 70mph 15bhp according to the specs, the engine is shared with the 125 shadow i think.

By the looks of it shares some heritage with the vt vtr250 range so maybe an upgrade path if you are up for a bit of work for 30-35ish bhp.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDonnyBrago wrote:
m1tch wrote:
Perhaps I should just go with a YBR125 to start with as they are common, on the flip side I would rather have something sitting in the garage that I would look at and go 'yeah I will go for a ride' rather than a more modern looking bike that lacks a bit of character if you know what I mean?

Right... they look identical. It's like having an inspiring spanner:
https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/moto_gallery/HONDACG125-1375_1.jpg

I agree. I've owned both and I'd definitely rather have the ybr than the CG.

Both are equally shit at wanting to ride them though.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're anything over average height, get the YBR -
You can take surprising liberties in corners with decent rubber (Avon Streetrunners) because you won't be dusting anything on the straights. Parts are readily available - they were made for a decade. I replaced an '11 FI motor (previous owner didn't know what oil was - big end died) with an 07 carb. Used the throttle bodies and kept the FI, zero issues, totally interchangeable,

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not enough cruisers about, buy a Shadow VT 125. The rest are boring with exception of the msx.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 03:07 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Not enough cruisers about,

Err, yes there are..... in some opinions FAR too many!

And A Shaddow VT125, or any other 125 for that matter, CAN'T be a cruiser... at best, cruiserie styled cruiserette perhaps... otherwise? No! J-U-S-T no!!!

A Cruiser... well, CRUISES!!

That means easy-riding; a big-lazy torque-laden motor that dont need the gears worked to move much.... THIS is not in the ability of a 125 to do Full-Stop.

It's not even a matter of power! There were a couple of Italian Cruiserettes that used the same motor's as the Mito or RS in almost full-power guise... they STILL didn't 'cruise'! actually something of an anathema, laid back styling and frantic Wasp-in-a-Meltdown noise!
I will admit that ragging the crap out of one, can, in a perverse sort of way be a bit of masochistic fun... but I wouldn't want to wear PVC lederhosen and a rubber mask every day either, and never in public EVER! And probably not in private very often either for that matter!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:38 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this thread has left me a bit annoyed tbh.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I get the feeling you don't really want a bike, you just want something to fit in with the guys at work with minimal effort.

If you actually wanted a bike you would do the CBT in November, weather doesn't matter, it's just a day of training. If you like it then don't waste time/effort/money on a 125 tiddler. Just do the DAS. Tuning a 125 is pointless.

A 500cc commuter like a cb500/gpz500 etc will piss all over a cg125 in any state of tune and cost bugger all.

m1tch
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 08:03 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bacon wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I get the feeling you don't really want a bike, you just want something to fit in with the guys at work with minimal effort.

If you actually wanted a bike you would do the CBT in November, weather doesn't matter, it's just a day of training. If you like it then don't waste time/effort/money on a 125 tiddler. Just do the DAS. Tuning a 125 is pointless.

A 500cc commuter like a cb500/gpz500 etc will piss all over a cg125 in any state of tune and cost bugger all.

I am in no rush at the moment, as mentioned before I don't need a bike but its a skill I want to learn in my own time. Would rather that the weather be better when learning the controls of a new vehicle rather than needing to add that to the things I need to watch out for - can then learn wet weather riding in my own time although I doubt I would ever really be out in wet weather as it won't be used for commuting.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:04 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuning a CG125 by doing stuff like breathing mods for the airbox is the quickest way to devalue the bike and to make it go slower. Thumbs Up

If you want to go faster, your best bet would be to buy a faster bike than a CG125. Wink

m1tch
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:31 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Tuning a CG125 by doing stuff like breathing mods for the airbox is the quickest way to devalue the bike and to make it go slower. Thumbs Up

If you want to go faster, your best bet would be to buy a faster bike than a CG125. Wink

Can't most 125cc bikes get to the national speed limit?

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the hill

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

m1tch wrote:
bacon wrote:

I am in no rush at the moment, as mentioned before I don't need a bike but its a skill I want to learn in my own time. Would rather that the weather be better when learning the controls of a new vehicle rather than needing to add that to the things I need to watch out for - can then learn wet weather riding in my own time although I doubt I would ever really be out in wet weather as it won't be used for commuting.

Reality check, you live in the UK, you will end up in rain eventually.

Getting wet isn't the end of the world, neither is getting cold. I'd rather learn wet weather riding with an instructor personally.

I sound like I'm having a go, I'm not, but putting off training to spring just sounds like a cop out. It will rain in spring btw.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

m1tch wrote:
Ste wrote:

Can't most 125cc bikes get to the national speed limit?

The CG125 cruises about 50mph roughly. 65 is its claimed top speed, but really its way more comfortable at doing 50.

m1tch
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:07 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the availability of my local training centre vs when I am free it would be late November/December when I can book in. I know at some point I will get wet, wet is ok its more about the ice on the road I am more concerned about.

I am also not really get any encouraging replies to anything I post to go and sort the CBT, seems that I apparently only want to get into biking because of someone at work, I don't have the finances to get a bike, the 125cc learner bikes I am looking at are apparently no good and I need to go straight to a DAS etc. Sad

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are over thinking it I feel. Gear doesn't have to be expensive = £220 will get you new gear of a reasonable quality that will last a couple years.

Do your full A license, unless you absolutely can't afford it. The bike and insurance will be very similar to that on a 125 IME.

Then you have the choice of many different bikes. You can get an older carbed bike if that's your thing. Or if you like spannering, get a 600 with a sound engine and gearbox, do the thing up, then you have ticked all your boxes. AND you won't be limited to 60mph with L plates.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

m1tch wrote:
Looking at the availability of my local training centre vs when I am free it would be late November/December when I can book in. I know at some point I will get wet, wet is ok its more about the ice on the road I am more concerned about.

I am also not really get any encouraging replies to anything I post to go and sort the CBT, seems that I apparently only want to get into biking because of someone at work, I don't have the finances to get a bike, the 125cc learner bikes I am looking at are apparently no good and I need to go straight to a DAS etc. Sad

Ooo, bloomin' eck, don't be dispirited by replies you get.

Get a bike. Don't P about, if you haven't got the budget (I suspect not, but you can say how much), get what you can, a CG125 or a YBR125 or a Rieju RS3 125 NKD or whatever. If you haven't had one before, or not a 125, anything you get will be fine, and it will not need "tuning". I'm not familiar with what class you can ride, again you can work that out.

Next, buy a £50 helmet like an MT that's good for the price (see: https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/ ), a £50 Buffalo Mistral 1 Piece oversuit or similar to keep you dry, a pair of £35 Richa 9904 gloves and a pair of well-fitting wellies for about £20. What's that, £155.

Then when you've got your insurance and anything else you need (licence?) you're off.

Well, that's what I might do, anyway.

m1tch
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:03 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
m1tch wrote:

Ooo, bloomin' eck, don't be dispirited by replies you get.

Get a bike. Don't P about, if you haven't got the budget (I suspect not, but you can say how much), get what you can, a CG125 or a YBR125 or a Rieju RS3 125 NKD or whatever. If you haven't had one before, or not a 125, anything you get will be fine, and it will not need "tuning". I'm not familiar with what class you can ride, again you can work that out.

Next, buy a £50 helmet like an MT that's good for the price (see: https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/ ), a £50 Buffalo Mistral 1 Piece oversuit or similar to keep you dry, a pair of £35 Richa 9904 gloves and a pair of well-fitting wellies for about £20. What's that, £155.

Then when you've got your insurance and anything else you need (licence?) you're off.

Well, that's what I might do, anyway.

I haven't mentioned budget as I will be looking to get a used bike but could afford to buy a brand new Suzuki GSXR-1000 outright if I wanted - looking to spend around a grand or so on the bike as all the other bits will cost about the same. As mentioned it won't be a daily commuter etc.

Will get something booked in when possible - guessing learning in the wet/ice might be a good idea?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
Depends on the hill

And the direction and speed of the wind, and how willing the rider is to sacrifice any remnants of mechanical sympathy in order to rag the living crap out it.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 199 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3