Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Teaching someone to drive

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Teaching someone to drive Reply with quote

Has anyone ever done this?
I've offered my niece some lessons as she's feeling very nervous.
I think I'll be able to reassure her enough to get behind the wheel and familiarise herself with the controls etc.
I thought a quiet car park on Sunday would be a good place to start.
What I don't want to do is make it any worse for her or make it any harder for a professional if she decides to get proper lessons.

Just looking for any advice or do and don'ts. I was going to ask her to get her theory under her belt first, but I'm not sure how helpful that would be?

I’ll put some L plates on my car and make sure we’re insured.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:04 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Teaching someone to drive Reply with quote

fatjames wrote:

Just looking for any advice or do and don'ts.

Yeah, don't. There're enough friggin cars on the road as it is.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:06 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do make sure your hand brake is working. I remember my Mum trying to teach my Dad to drive in am empty Tesco car park, it didn't go well. It wasn't divorce but my Dad never did learn to drive.. Very Happy

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hard part if she's a complete novice will be clutch and accelerator coordination.
Without forgetting to steer.
Or brake
Exciting times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
The hard part if she's a complete novice will be

That's one of the bits she's worried about. I learnt bike first and it came very easily to me. I think I'll watch some videos beforehand too.

Confusion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:39 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Teaching someone to drive Reply with quote

fatjames wrote:

Yes. I taught the missus and two offspring. It went reasonably
well.

Quote:

Are you a good driver? Would you pass the driving test tomorrow?
You don't want to lead her astray.

Quote:
I think I'll be able to reassure her enough to get behind the wheel....

That's the right attitude. Keep things calm and reasonable.
This is not always easy if she is murdering your clutch
and gearbox.

Quote:
I thought a quiet car park on Sunday would be a good place to start.

Public and shopping centre car parks are busy and dangerous
places. Around these parts, Sunday is just as busy as any
other day.

Out-of-town industrial estates are often very quiet on Sunday.
Watch out for speed ramps.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a driving instructor in London many years ago and dual controls was a life saver.
I've also taught a few in 'normal' cars and it can be good or horrific
it depends, sometimes both.

Lets say she's a sensible lass not given to the vapours
a instructor would/should start with

Cockpit drill (every time she get in a car)
Check and or adjust seat and ability to easily reach and use all the controls from a sitting position
Also check mirrors, driver & passenger seat belts are worn, doors properly closed etc

Getting to know the main controls: where and what they do

Pre start check: ( every time she start the engine) Neutral, Hand brake on

Start by simply pulling away and stopping in a straight line
explain what you want her to do
Some folk take a while to get the feel of a clutch's biting point
and brake pedal pressure so keep it simple and relaxed for you both

Forget shoulder checks indicators etc until she has the feel of moving away and stopping

If she's picking it up fast let her drive round the car park for a bit
in large loops getting into second as soon as poss as the car wont jerk about under a nervy foot as much

Watch too see if she's dipping her head to look at the controls
many newbies do
I used to get them to stare out of the screen using all the controls while stopped to get them out of this

make game of it, keep it simple relaxed and fun.

The above should set her up for any decent driving school

Schools
Ask about her instructor credentials at schools check they have
full ADI licenses, if not why not
Many schools in London were a racket and bung in any trainee
off the street to keep raking in the dosh
Some were good, (we all had to learn right?) but some were useless lazy bastards.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:51 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught my niece. Went OK, she passed, she enjoys driving.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:31 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno if this is a common thing be round the corner from me is a this Place. It's basically a pretend set of roads anyone can drive on (if you pay) no insurance required.

When I learnt I went there with my mum it was £12 for all day.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:33 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO get proper lessons first and if they're going well then that's the time to let her get some practice in your car.

Get a copy of one of the theory test and hazard awareness test practise DVDs for her to play with. It's probably all done on phone apps now but it's the same difference. Laughing

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
IMO get proper lessons first and if they're going well then that's the time to let her get some practice in your car.

Get a copy of one of the theory test and hazard awareness test practise DVDs for her to play with. It's probably all done on phone apps now but it's the same difference. Laughing

Good advice here.
Some people have driven other vehicles tractors or whatever and really only need teaching road sense - and a sense of their own mortality.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:44 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

had two lessons then just drove with my dad in his car.

like Ste said let them deal with the hardest part (first few lessons) then just practise practise practise in your own time.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, this is all very useful.

Setting the clutch on fire won't be of any concern to me.. there's a car we can use without going near mine. (Fiat 500)

I think I'll aim to do what WD Forte suggests, that sounds like a reasonable place to start.

I have already explained that it might not work and she has to feel comfortable with whoever is teaching her and that might not be me.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:53 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth considering how long ago the OP learned to drive as they do teach stuff differently these days (the cause of multiple arguments when I was practising with my kids!). Engine braking (not) for example.

Another point to consider if the learner is going to be switching between a driving school vehicle and the OP's own is that newbies can find that very confusing. My daughter always stalled several times at the start due to the different clutch biting points; and also she was taught to do the manouevering stuff eg by lining up landmarks on the instructor's car, steering wheel etc and couldn't manage with my car. I'm not saying that teaching learners how to pass a test as opposed to how to drive is a good thing - far from it - but it's often how it works (BTW my daughter's a capable enough driver these days).

Ste wrote:

I'd agree to an extent; but I think it's not a bad idea to teach the very basics (ie clutch/accelerator coordination) first, as they'll otherwise waste the first couple of lessons doing not much else.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:30 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be an ADI, have fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:00 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
The hard part if she's a complete novice will be clutch and accelerator coordination.

Best part of new cars is you can teach then to pull away without the use of the accelerator....

If they can master that, without stalling, then they are half way there.

Save's one hell of a lot of frayed nerves, listening to a hard revving engine and a strong smell of burning clutch Laughing

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:08 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Best part of new cars is you can teach then to pull away without the use of the accelerator....

Do explain, please. Confused

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:17 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel injection keeps the engine going with no throttle input. Put a car in gear, and slowly let the clutch out, the revs will dip then pick up again - you can get up to 5th/6th without touching the throttle.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:51 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So by ''new cars'' he means anything made in the 90's onwards. Thinking

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno, my dad taught me that in a mk2 Diesel Fiesta in '83.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:38 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you may slowly let go of the clutch pedal/lever in any motorised vehicle and it will start moving. Even at the idle speed, the engine still outputs power and torque.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:44 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, but it's harder in a carbed vehicle, as there's nothing monitoring the revs and automatically adding fuel when it drops. Not impossible, but bloody hard for a learner.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:46 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't fukc about trying to teach her clutch and brake and gears.
That is why instructors have 'dual controls'.
The instructors follow the novice's movements to help ensure they gain some lessons without stalling and bouncing the clutch every time. That is a big stress on its own. It will be much easier for her like that.
After a few lessons with the instructor then you can offer some 'practice' in your car.
Even the experience of more than one car is a superb lesson.

Get insurance cover too. Even if someone hits your car it will be difficult to explain who was driving if it's your neice.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Teaching someone to drive Reply with quote

fatjames wrote:
I think I'll be able to reassure her enough to get behind the wheel and familiarise herself with the controls etc.

I started driving my mum's old Morris about when I got a provisional. It was OK, but I didn't drive it very much. I did not like the "tippy" feeling of cars compared to mororbikes. So, after about 20 years of motorbikes, I booked in for a double course of lessons with a driving instructor. 26 in all, 2 lots of 12 with two "free". At the end of that lot, I was thinking of suggesting drivinhg out to a pub a fair way off or something, I was pretty well tutored, blasé even, lessons had gone up from 2 lots of 1-hour sessions a week to two lots of 2-hour lessons a week. Pass no problem. So, after saying all that, I would be inclined to just get her extra lessons and let the driving instructor, who you will have selected for his good teaching ability:

https://secure.toolkitfiles.co.uk/clients/2167/sitedata/Misc/e-download%20-%20Instructor%20Grading.pdf

do the work. After all, it's "teaching to the test", and a good instructor will have seen it all before and be able to deal with it. I wouldn't pick a very young driving instructor, or a new one.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd let her learn the basics of vehicle control in another car that can be abused as it will be and you also need to learn how not to do it, and what happens when you get it wrong.

This would be where dual controls come in handy. I remember learning how to ride a geared bike at age 11, by my dad holding the bars and throttle wide open while I was sat on the bike, to make the point that how much or how quickly the bike moves is all down to the control of the lever on the left not the throttle grip on the right.

Same thing in a car applies, and you want to actually demonstrate what happens if you stamp on the brake or accelerator while forgetting to operate your left leg. Its essentially driving badly to show how to drive correctly.

If you only show them perfect start and stops, they might not be able to emulate that with many many attempts. Show them a stall and Jerky erratic movements and they'll quickly understand what produces such responses from the vehicle and how to get a different result.

I'd be wary of trying to show a learner how to move away with no throttle input, as that might spill over into road driving which is very dangerous in today's traffic.

One thing learners spectacularly fail at is safely merging onto a busy road of moving traffic in a decisive and urgent way with proper acceleration sense.

There's rarely a place on the road today for switched off ambling along and lazy car control IMO.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 210 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2