BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hot Hatch

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Hot Hatch Reply with quote

Considering a hot hatch. Will be a daily driver. Looking around the £4-5k mark. Civic Type R, Focus ST, etc being considered. Not as keen on the VAG offering, unless you can give me a very good reason why.

Alternatively, RWD and not a hair dresser car.

What say BCF?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfa Giulietta JTDM. 170 HP so hot-ish . Lots of car for your money and people won't think you're a c*nt - although they might think you're a hairdresser..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMW 130i. Loved mine.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:55 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
BMW 130i. Loved mine.

Agree. I still have mine. Car I've owned for the longest amount of time. It's immense fun. 265bhp rear wheel drive but quiet and comfortable when you need it to be. Beautiful linear power from a normally aspirated 3.0 litre straight six. The engine makes the car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Alfa Giulietta JTDM. 170 HP so hot-ish . Lots of car for your money and people won't think you're a c*nt - although they might think you're a hairdresser..

If you get the 2.4 jtdm that has 210bhp & in Ti spec looks quite splendid. Thumbs Up only thing is it's not a hatchback.

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old 2.5 litre Focus ST is very thirsty... but it sounds great and handling is superb. Other than that it's like any other Focus - good family car, easy to live with.

I don't know much about japanese cars.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenR wrote:
A100man wrote:

If you get the 2.4 jtdm that has 210bhp & in Ti spec looks quite splendid. Thumbs Up only thing is it's not a hatchback.

Are you confusing the Giulietta (definitely a hatch - I had one) for the 159 (or Brera) saloon/sportwagon that was a 2.4 210 hp?

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just got a fiesta ST for the Mrs. Hugely entertaining. Certainly quicker cars out there but get this thing on a gnarly back road and it's like an excited puppy, really eggs you on, loads of feedback. Nice and smooth to drive day to do also. Ride is a bit hard, doesn't bother me and is a worthwhile compromise. If the focus is anything like the fiesta it'll be a good drive. Again, certainly better cars but I don't think there's many that offer the same level of fun for the price and running costs. I think the focus is significantly thirstier.

The one thing I've found with the ST is that other drives act more aggressively around you. Idiot chavs in shiteboxes want to race and drive up your arse and other people I guess expect you to be driving like a chav and are more likely to try and block overtskes, etc. I've not experienced the same level of hostility in other cars I've owned and.i dont drive it differently.

1 series varients are an excellent (and more refined than the ford) drive too if you want RWD. My mrs wasn't keen though unfortunately.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEAT Leon 1.8 20v Cupra R 5dr (222BHP model).

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:40 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Why?

Already said I'm a bit dubious of the VAG group.

Never considered the Alfa's. Do they still carry the old rep around?

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:04 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
weasley wrote:
BMW 130i. Loved mine.

Agree. I still have mine. Car I've owned for the longest amount of time. It's immense fun. 265bhp rear wheel drive but quiet and comfortable when you need it to be. Beautiful linear power from a normally aspirated 3.0 litre straight six. The engine makes the car.

At the risk of suggesting a non-hatch, E90 330i, because the 1 series is annoyingly poverty next to a 3 series where BMW cheaped out and cost exactly the same to run.

I currently have a mapped 330D and it's great.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently driving a Leon 184 - sure it's a diesel but 184 horses with loads of torque makes it a half decent car. It's the same as Golf GTD (even has Audi in it) but yeah it's a VAG unit. Is there a reason for not wanting that??
Mine certainly does do what it says in the book - 0-60 in 7.1 seconds and a top whack of 144 mph. That speed seems electronically limited because revs just hit a wall at that speed. I get 45 mpg average.
Only down side is it seems fragile. Sure it's a solid build but rear bumper paint seems soft and under body panels make it rubbish in snow.

Personally I'd look for a Cupra but like all of them it'll be difficult to find one that hasn't been abused in some way..

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a Colt CZT and do some tinkering. stock is 140 bhp at a tonne in weight. Some tinkering and you can get that power over 200.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Big Jock
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:53 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit left field but Fiat Panda 100hp.

I miss mine so much. Fantastic little car and cheap as chips.
Sold mine with 80k on clocks and it never missed a beat

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

Why?

Already said I'm a bit dubious of the VAG group.

'Cos it's a cracker. So you're "a bit dubious of the VAG group". That's up to you, I won't ask why.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Jock wrote:
Bit left field but Fiat Panda 100hp.

I miss mine so much. Fantastic little car and cheap as chips.
Sold mine with 80k on clocks and it never missed a beat

Good call and within budget - unlike some of the other suggestions I fear..

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never considered the Alfa's. Do they still carry the old rep around?

They have a reputation from old but like most it is no longer relevant in today's market. They're (mostly) based on fiats and built in a modern European factory. I've had several over the past 15 years and no more issues that any other car - in fact bugger all issues.

Most of the naysayers have never even sat in one.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clio 197 Cup

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:11 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

t121anf wrote:
Clio 197 Cup

May as well buy an S3 tbh, they use the same fuel Laughing

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

t121anf wrote:
Clio 197 Cup

My mate had in s few years back. They drive really well but the gearboxes are a bit chocolate. That's what put me off.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

'Cos it's a cracker. So you're "a bit dubious of the VAG group". That's up to you, I won't ask why.

Brother in law had a GTi that bounced a load of valves due to the water pump and cam belt being linked somehow? One collapsed and took the other with it, from distant memory.

Mk4 it was. Then not long after his mates also did the same thing.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:06 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swift Sport. Under a tonne. 120 odd bhp. 7k redline. Handles great as standard. VVT. A proper hot hatch. Like a
modern day PUG 205 GTi 1.6. Small. cheap and lightweight. Loves to be thrashed. Later ones have a six speed box.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201809260882118?postcode=bs255ra&model=SWIFT&sort=sponsored&advertising-location=at_cars&make=SUZUKI&radius=1500&aggregatedTrim=Sport&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&page=1

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brother in law had a GTi that bounced a load of valves due to the water pump and cam belt being linked somehow? One collapsed and took the other with it, from distant memory.

Sounds as if it could be a maintenence issue. I think, although I'm not sure, that cambelt/tensioners/water pump simultaneous replacement is advised. Anything with an interference engine will have a bad time if the cambelt lets go. However, as I say, it's up to you what you like, but I wouldn't discount a whole type because of one perceived issue though!

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Sounds as if it could be a maintenence issue. I think, although I'm not sure, that cambelt/tensioners/water pump simultaneous replacement is advised. Anything with an interference engine will have a bad time if the cambelt lets go. However, as I say, it's up to you what you like, but I wouldn't discount a whole type because of one perceived issue though!

He was a mechanic, looks after his cars. Just seems funny two fail so close together. The window winder failed as well, within weeks of each other Laughing

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Where it's driven by the timing belt, it's recommended that you change the water pump when you change the belt, the main reasons being, the added pressure of a new belt can cause the old WP gasket to fail and you have to take the belt off to change the pump, so if you do both at the same time, there's no additional labour involved.

As service intervals get ever longer, so the strain increases on these low value products; I've known water pump bearings to fail well ahead of the belt change interval, which releases enough pressure on the belt that the tensioner can't take up, resulting in a big bang.

Equally, I had a customer have a belt failure 25K early, that cost him the thick end of £4 grand.

If you go by manufacturer's recommendations, its not about poor maintenance, it's about factory built in obsolescence.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 182 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3