Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Facebook Pages

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Facebook Pages Reply with quote

Out of interest how many facebook pages are you joined with? What are they mostly.

Mine are biking, dogs, cancer, medicinal cannabis, epilepsy the local special needs sites.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facebook?

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focus ST and Honda Fireblade groups.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

cycling, running, trail riding, all my clubs use it to organise rides / runs / meet ups etc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:57 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of Atheist ones, tons of bike ones, a closed Wing Chun one, a couple of local area ones, and a movie podcast closed group.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 09:45 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIY Top Tips on a Budget, only for the lols.

e.g. a while ago a women wanted to make her windows look leaded, so she applied electrical tape to her standard ones in a cross pattern. Laughing

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a failbook account.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:22 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of narrowboat ones. Local community. German Shepherds and some horsey ones because I get to see what my youngest daughter is up to. Cool

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've walked away from FB. It takes over things and those algorithms drag you in even deeper.
Leaving FB has given me a life. It's difficult to explain but I now have full days for me and not pauses to see what's happening etc. Like stopping smoking it can take weeks to get over the addiction but once away you realise how much FB had taken over your life.

When I was on FB it was mostly geology stuff and mining related pages. One of the best groups on there for me was 'North East speed cameras alerts'. That group was up to the minute input from members as to where mobile speed cameras were right then and which unmarked cars Northumbria Police were currently using. (No I don't go out to purposely speed but we all sometimes slip over accidentally and that group saved my licence/wallet twice..)

Forums such as this one have been decimated since FB became available. I've moderated on forums (Derelict Places being one) and have seen membership shrink dramatically. Even Flickr has seen a huge change.

The future? I hope FB vanishes forever. It's too addictive and takes peoples lives over.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:25 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDonnyBrago wrote:

It will never surprise me how out of there way people who don't have facebook will go to tell you. You opened a thread about facebook group to tell us you haven't got one. It's the same as someone asking about how something on an R1 works and replying 'I don't have an R1' Laughing

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have the village Facebook page. It is mainly dogshit and fly-tipping, but it entertains me.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
DrDonnyBrago wrote:

It will never surprise me how out of their way people who don't have facebook will go to tell you. You opened a thread about facebook group to tell us you haven't got one. It's the same as someone asking about how something on an R1 works and replying 'I don't have an R1' Laughing

Meh.

I'm still shocked people use it.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
DrDonnyBrago wrote:

It will never surprise me how out of there way people who don't have facebook will go to tell you. You opened a thread about facebook group to tell us you haven't got one. It's the same as someone asking about how something on an R1 works and replying 'I don't have an R1' Laughing

I haven't got one either. Have a go at me too, please. "lol".

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local Enfield owners group, couple of classic bike groups, couple of bushcraft/camping/motorcycle camping groups, local sales.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

and here is your reward ..

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:59 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure of which ones I've specifically joined over the years, but the two I see continuously on my feed are the local group for the town I went to school in, and the Leeds facebook group.

Through these alone I'm more aware than ever about why the world will never be a perfect place. As hateable as all you lovely BCF folk are, you're at least several orders of magnitude more intelligent and interesting than the divs who hang around arguing about trivial things and asking single-digit-IQ questions to each other over in the facebook realm.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:02 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
As hateable as all you lovely BCF folk are, you're at least several orders of magnitude more intelligent and interesting than the divs who hang around arguing about trivial things and asking single-digit-IQ questions to each other over in the facebook realm.

Aye, there's a few people who show up on my feed that I went to school with, and I can't help thinking "What the fuck happened to you - at what point did you become a thicko?"
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

and here is your reward ..

Mercy! Mercy! Oh, I say, that looks nice! Is it yours?

( Smile just in case).

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:24 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourte wrote:
I've walked away from FB. It takes over things and those algorithms drag you in even deeper.
Leaving FB has given me a life. It's difficult to explain but I now have full days for me and not pauses to see what's happening etc. Like stopping smoking it can take weeks to get over the addiction but once away you realise how much FB had taken over your life.

When I was on FB it was mostly geology stuff and mining related pages. One of the best groups on there for me was 'North East speed cameras alerts'. That group was up to the minute input from members as to where mobile speed cameras were right then and which unmarked cars Northumbria Police were currently using. (No I don't go out to purposely speed but we all sometimes slip over accidentally and that group saved my licence/wallet twice..)

Forums such as this one have been decimated since FB became available. I've moderated on forums (Derelict Places being one) and have seen membership shrink dramatically. Even Flickr has seen a huge change.

The future? I hope FB vanishes forever. It's too addictive and takes peoples lives over.

Well I don't know what to say. Darn it give me a cuddle. All will be fixed and we'll all live together happier ever after.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:48 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDonnyBrago wrote:

#metoo

50 million accounts hacked this week.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:06 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

Aye, there's a few people who show up on my feed that I went to school with, and I can't help thinking "What the fuck happened to you - at what point did you become a thicko?"

Sad times really. Centuries from now, the internet won't be remembered for how gloriously it connected the world, it'll be remembered for how it gave the thickos a voice and a platform.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:19 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Sad times really. Centuries from now, the internet won't be remembered for how gloriously it connected the world, it'll be remembered for how it gave the thickos a voice and a platform.

Before we had all this social media stuff, it felt like you could pick and choose who you mixed with more easily. Oh, I know you can skip the stuff by people you don't want to hear from but...well, they're there. Even those you like are quoting them and talking about what they've said.

Social media, including forums like this one, just leaves me so unsatisfied. I'm a dinosaur. I can't adapt Sad

I don't really want to adapt.

I think those who are young now will feel the same way about the new things coming along when they get older. But they'll be ignored or criticised for it. Like me, they won't be relevant anymore. And they won't want to adopt the new ways to make themselves relevant again.

Can't we have the old ways alongside the new ways?

I guess not. Maybe it doesn't even matter.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:41 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't adapt. You're not alone. Social media does have some use but people start to think it's the only way and it's not.
Take 2 minutes to stop on a main street for example. Look at those around you and see them glued to their phones and completely oblivious to what's happening around them. FB is sucking them in too.

Sure I'm here on and off and sure I use Flickr a little. The main part is I don't allow them to drag me in - far better things to be doing.

In this thread there's mention of thickos with a voice etc. I think a great example of how bad online places can be is dating websites. You see almost no mention of good experiences. Just about every experience is described as 'I met a crazy, they're nuts, psycho, stalker etc'. If that's what dating sites are like then most other social sites will be the same. (I think I've just insulted some folk but meh!)

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:55 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourte wrote:
Leaving FB has given me a life. It's difficult to explain but I now have full days for me and not pauses to see what's happening etc.

You were clearly using it wrong lol

I've got FB account but I'm not addicted to it. I hardly ever post and hardly ever check my feed as some people just post shit about their every-day routines, mood swings, selfies and some other shit.

But I'm keeping the account in case I'd like to contact one of my old friends.

I deactivated my FB account for about a year, I only activated it again about a month ago or so.

Just don't use FB on your phone and you will be fine.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What gets me is all these chavubby girls with great fat pouting lips like those sucker fish you see sucking crap off the glass in fish tanks and eyebrows done up like Coco the Clown's, posting "selfies". Bleargh. Why.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 182 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2