Facebook Pages

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:37 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Rolling Eyes
Those kind of girls only get on your feed if you add them as friends, or if they are part of your gene pool (family) ... I have almost none of those sort of girls on my feed. Predictably, because I don't actually hang out with those sort of losers in real life.

Although, to be fair, I recently added an account on Instagram that belongs to a friend of my daughter, and I had to say to my daughter "That friend of yours, she does like an eyebrow, doesn't she".

But they go out a lot together and so there are social-life pictures of my daughter which I would otherwise not get to see, as she doesn't put them up much on her own FB page, being too busy and having too much of a great life to bother, LOL

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:09 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've joined loads of pages over the years, but the ones I currently mostly connect with are

* Shit London - a love/hate thing where you go on there looking for entertainment and end up worrying that one day you might come across a picture of yourself. This brings with it (of course) that worry that a scurrilous picture of yourself drooling whilst asleep on the underground will have attracted too many (or worse ... not enough) cutting comments from the attendant audience.

* A couple of NZ historical and reminiscence groups to feed my nostalgia (although to be fair, it is also helping me remember stuff that I really ought to include in my autobiography, I seem to have forgotten more about my early life than I actually remember)

*The Mastiff Rehoming Organisation (or something similar) ... I'm teetering!

* Celebmortuary, a really small and select group who just "get the hang" of making puns on the name or lives of the latest dead celebrity. This week's favourite example include Demise Norden (It'll be Alight on the Night) and Chas and Grave (Oh darlin, there aint no breathin noo) (its a Scottish group, LOL)

And then, obviously at the moment, when I am not doing my day job:
* I spend a ridiculous amount of time posting on, finding content for, and adminning the "Dark and Deadly Decor" page (and corresponding group/forum) that I recently started for my friends who are too lazy to do their own marketing.

But I'm quite enjoying picking up new skills in social media and finding new followers is surprisingly something I'm not too bad at (look at me, I'm an Influencer! LOL) ... PLUS its led me to learn instagram, which i still don't actually get the hang of properly. Rolling Eyes

Plus although I'm never going to love skulls, or be a proper Goth, I'm finding aspects of the related weird stuff interesting, and definitely re-engaging with my own love of Weirdness is making my life a lot more interesting than it was before.

I've added myself to some really fairly awful "scary/ goth/ horror/ fantasy" pages lately but its because I am trawling around for Likes for the abovementioned Dark and Deadly Decor page. If they aren't providing interesting enough content, or are too emo, I just fuck off out and find another.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:55 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t have a Facecrap page.
I would be interested in a CZ/MZ owners riders page if there is one.
However not interested enough to start all that Facecrap nonsense.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:49 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Why.

Because someone is fucking them for looking like that. Doh! It's our fault. If looking like that meant a cock drought
then none of them would bother. Mind you the women telling all these caterpillar eyebrowed, orange sink plungers
that they "look gorgeous hun" are just as bad as the blokes encouraging them by pursuing them and then shagging them.
The very best way to bother these people is to just completely ignore them. They absolutely hate it.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:44 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facebook will be an irrelevance, already pretty much is to the upto 20 somethings, who have already found another platform, and the next to start losing relevance, will be instagram, which, is gradually turning into a facebook clone, not too surprising really, it is owned by facebook afterall ..

The more the kids parents appear on a platform, the less relevant it becomes, and the younger ones move onto the next .. Let's face it, it's no different to going out..

Would your 18-20year old want to go out to the same nightclubs as you do, being kept any eye on by you? No I thought not, they'd rather go elsewhere you're not, and to be fair, who can blame them..

Of course, some of the smarter kids are using facebook as a smokescreen, to throw their parents off the scent of what they're really doing...

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:53 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Facebook will be an irrelevance, already pretty much is to the upto 20 somethings, who have already found another platform, and the next to start losing relevance, will be instagram, which, is gradually turning into a facebook clone, not too surprising really, it is owned by facebook afterall ..

Not my experience at all.

I'm 23. on FB as is everyone I know. I genuinely do not know a single person under the age of 40 who does not have it.

THe reason it is so resilient is that there is no viable alternative. Whatsapp is very popular as a messaging service, instagram has its uses (no idea what, can't be bothered with it), but Facebook is the only viable platform for the all round 'social experience'. The reason for this is of course... that everyone has it.

Any competitor to FB is going to have a massively hard time in that to be useful, a social media site needs a critical mass of users. You need to know that enough of your friends are on there that you can communicate with whomever you want to communicate with.

At the moment, that's only FB. An competitor would need to start up, offer a genuine advantage over FB (privacy, less ads, significantly better user experience), and maintain funding for probably a couple of years whilst the user numbers grew, coupled with a decent advertising campaign AND avoid being bought out by FB itself.

Any one of those objectives is possible, but to achieve them all at the same time? Difficult.

Would you join a new social media site knowing full well that none of your mates are on it? I wouldn't.

PLus, FB does so many things. Yeah, you can post pouty pictures of yourself and fish for likes, but the real value is still in connecting people.

For students at least, FB is the single biggest social enabler tool at your disposal.

Pretty much all uni societies rely on FB for membership and communciation pretty much exclusively. You want to buy a ticket for an event? Post on the local student group. Want to keep in touch with old school firends? Facebook. Want to arrange a group holiday or a night out with your mates? Facebook (or whatsapp tbf).

Every single gathering of more than 5 people has almost certainly been organised via or facilitated by FB, especially if it's a large group of people whom you vaguely know such as hall mates, a society, a course group etc. This is also true at secondary school.

I don't ever post anything on FB at all, but even I know that persuading someone in that situation to give up on FB is to effectively make them a hermit. The fact that your mum is on there isn't going to be a dealbreaker in the face of that pressure, especially when you can just not friend her in the first place.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

asta1 wrote:

I'm 23. on FB as is everyone I know. I genuinely do not know a single person under the age of 40 who does not have it.

Then you must live in some kind of bubble !! My daughter, and none of her friends are on facebook, to be fair, they mostly shun whatsapp as well. Instagram & snapchat, are currently the main social media apps of choice, but, Instagram is also beginning to lose favour..

It appears I'm not the only 1 who thinks this ..

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/feb/16/parents-killed-it-facebook-losing-teenage-users

In the last couple of years or so, facebook has lost almost 10% of the 12-17 year old subscribers, so, I guess, at 23 you must fall into the old gimmers age bracket Laughing Laughing

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:22 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Then you must live in some kind of bubble !! My daughter, and none of her friends are on facebook, to be fair, they mostly shun whatsapp as well. Instagram & snapchat, are currently the main social media apps of choice, but, Instagram is also beginning to lose favour..

Maybe it's a Uni thing? Or maybe I just am that old now.

I still maintain though, it would actually be very difficult to be involved in any sport or social club at University without a FB page, plus you'd miss out on all the halls chat, your friends groups, a load of additional academic stuff, chat wth your friends from home... you get the picture.

Snapchat does seem popular, but it doesn't really do the same thing. It, and Instagram as well are probably better than facebook for sending out a picture, or a meme or a couple words to either your friends or alternatively the world, but what if you want to organise a night out? You aren't going to try and do it all on Snapchat, 5 words and a picture at a time. Same for any social gathering, or if you want to share some answers to an assignment, or share a website etc.

Only FB (and to a lesser extent Whatapp) really does that kind of thing.

Interestingly though, going by that Guardian article, FB has already 'lost' me. The last thing I posted on my public page was in mid 2016. I just use it for messaging friends and aquaintances that it's otherwise difficult to keep in touch with.
[/i]

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

asta1 wrote:

I just use it for messaging friends and aquaintances that it's otherwise difficult to keep in touch with.

Friends ?? I don't use facebook, instagram, snapchat etc, and I have absolutely no trouble keeping in touch with my friends, or anybody I wish to maintain contact with..

Don't forget, before facebook, there was friends reuinited, myspace etc, all, at the time seemingly indispensible for society to (dis)function.. Facebook is now a platform for the old'uns, Instagram, is morphing into facebook, and with that morph, is also looking at losing subscribers ..

Facebook just hit lucky, arriving on the scene when mobile technology was maturing into a platform able to server up 'rich' content. However, there is always some new disruptive technology, waiting in the wings, ready to take on the mantle and, well, disrupt the marketplace.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 200 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2