Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Does anyone think they have below average intelligence?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:05 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
...high levels of motivation...

That's me stuffed then.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what I need to know and don't what I don't.
My job requires me to solve practical problems in various ways so that keeps my mind in reasonable condition, however my information retention abilities aren't the best, especially if I'm not interested in the subject matter.
I too like a crossword, that's my old man's doing.
He was whizzing through crosswords literally on his death bed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:44 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

all the thick people are too busy selling stuff on facebook to come on here Very Happy

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:16 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must admit, I was once curious and took a proper IQ test, the type you pay for. I think it was a Mensa one. I sat it at a room in UCL.

I got a "top 8%" score, so not bad but not the Mensa 2%. Pleased enough anyway. I think it translates to something like 121 IQ, where 130 is the Mensa level.

As far as intelligence goes, honestly I've always known I'm not daft. People tend to tell me "you're clever" too, which is nice but it's kind of like saying, "Wow you have a strong thigh bone!" - not a very practical trait in the wider world.

It also means I'm an overly idealistic lefty who wants society to be perfectly logical without any stupid people getting in the way. But that makes me the stupid one. So having/using/wanting intelligence all gets a bit pointless in the end.

Generally I'd say the three most important traits are: Intelligence, Social Skills, Experience. The first two are innate things which you can't hugely change without conscious uncomfortable effort. The third is open to anyone who puts the time in.

The times I think intelligence alone may be useful is in analysis, predictions and abstract ideas. I find I'm quite good at this. Hasn't made any improvement to my quality of life though.

What I find more interesting is how it's a bit taboo to talk about this. It's okay for someone to say they're a cut above the rest when it comes to sports or acting or something, but when it comes to nerdy abstract book-smart intelligence, it seems like everyone wants to get competitive, offended or demand silence on the topic because nobody wants to feel like the stupid one.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:27 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
when it comes to nerdy abstract book-smart intelligence, it seems like everyone wants to get competitive, offended or demand silence on the topic because nobody wants to feel like the stupid one.

I'm the stupid one.
There you go, you can talk about it all you want now, and if anyone challenges your intelligence, you can point to me Smile

I don't worry about it. I am what I am, and just have to make the best of it.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:43 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thick as shit but don't care at all. Ignorance is bliss. I'm off to laugh heartily at fart jokes.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can factor in the modern definitions of introversion and extroversion too, where people lose or gain mental energy in the presence of others.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll admit I'm thick as fuck.... I am the forum idiot (and drunk)

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:14 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:

You? You're a rocket scientist. Well, you make rocket fuel anyway Laughing

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:40 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t think the modern systems of test and scoring have got it right.
Many moons ago at school we were tested and many of us did not fair well.
Solving a puzzle/problem within a specific timescale may show some quickness of thinking, possibly maybe.

I have solved many complex problems and conceptualised many lines of thought,ideas in my own time.

Am I smart because I worked it out or dim because I didn’t do it within the test time allowances?

I’m smart enough to cross the road, eat when I’m hungry and not let people take my money without my permission, happy days.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:

I think I well and truly earned the drunk title. Wasted

Sir Clip
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:13 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definately stupid; I keep clicking on Ste's links Confused

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 18:48 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best way to measure your IQ online? Not one of these shite quizzes on some shite website, is there like a legit site for this?

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.mensa.org.uk/iq-tests

Mensa supervised IQ tests are £24.95

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally I've just done their IQ work out and got 100%, It does state that it is not an IQ test but it does indicate I would score highly on a proper IQ test. I already knew my IQ was high, well above average though.

I didn't find the questions particularly difficult, though if they asked a lot of math questions I'd probably struggle.

Last edited by duhawkz on 21:20 - 01 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
if they asked a lot of math questions I'd probably struggle.

Ah!

A visitor from North America!

"Hi y'all, hot darn' doody, yee-haw!".

That's supposed to be "Welcome", in your dialect. I hope you now feel at home!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:33 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why worry about it? I might be a thick cunt for all I know and have below average intelligence and IQ. But I work hard and earn circa £35k a year so I'll accept that and as long as I've got a house and can do the things I want to do, then intelligence and wisdom don't really bother me that much.

Besides a lack of intelligence doesn't seem to bother these reality TV so called celebrities, so why should it worry me?

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:23 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Does anyone think they have below average intelligence? Reply with quote

weasley wrote:

If we had a population of ten people, nine with an IQ of 80 and one with an IQ of 150, the average IQ is 87, but 90% of the population have a below-average IQ. I'd guess that a large population would tend towards a normal distribution, but it's an assumption rather than a given.

So, once you factor in Joey Essex and Jade Goody that means the rest of us Brits can all sit back and thank fuck that we're cleverer than Einstein. Whew.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:33 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Does anyone think they have below average intelligence? Reply with quote

G wrote:
weasley wrote:

But even that relies on an assumption of normal distribution.

Not so much an assumption; I believe IQ tests are designed to fit a normal distribution.
Pretty much, this is a good explanation of some of the ways they look at it.

https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-the-average-iq-2795284

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
Incidentally I've just done their IQ work out and got 100%, It does state that it is not an IQ test but it does indicate I would score highly on a proper IQ test. I already knew my IQ was high, well above average though.

I didn't find the questions particularly difficult, though if they asked a lot of math questions I'd probably struggle.

I just got 100% too Dance!

The cynic in me wants to say they make it intentionally a bit easier so as not to scare off potential £££££££ test takers.

As I mentioned before, I already sat one of these Mensa tests. An interesting thing is that they also have a test which is specially aimed at negating the fact that some people might get a better score if they happen to know the meaning of more words. It's called the Cattell Culture Fair III.

So for example, "Apple is to masticate as chair is to _____," would never be used, but spacial reasoning and non-linguistic logic questions are in abundance.

The test I took had two papers. One was the 'wordy' one where candidates needed to know lots of English words. The other was the Culture Fair test. For the wordy paper I got "Top 12%". The Culture Fair test gave the 8% result.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

I just got 100% too Dance!

The cynic in me wants to say they make it intentionally a bit easier so as not to scare off potential £££££££ test takers.

I did also wonder whether it was designed to make you pay for the test too.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:24 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, did seem to be a bit, err, 'test bait'?
Maybe even not for money - just to get people more interested in the concept.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Besides a lack of intelligence doesn't seem to bother these reality TV so called celebrities

An old mate of mine made an interesting point, that the worst thing about intelligence is that once you know something you can't un-know it.

So those who tick along in 'durrrrrr' mode and/or don't retain information easily are usually much happier in life.

The whole "ignorance is bliss" thing.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:51 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there has been studies done which say people of lower intelligence are overall happier than those with high intelligence.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:53 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

An old mate of mine made an interesting point, that the worst thing about intelligence is that once you know something you can't un-know it.

So those who tick along in 'durrrrrr' mode and/or don't retain information easily are usually much happier in life.

The whole "ignorance is bliss" thing.

All conscious states have relevance.

Confused Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 197 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3