Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What's "normal" Tyre pressure differences when col

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: What's "normal" Tyre pressure differences when col Reply with quote

Installed tire pressure monitor.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1918/43956742355_04172878a8_k.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1931/44817470042_13e3a07da4_k.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1947/44817458652_f2cbce90cd_k.jpg

The pressure shown is the pressure when cold 36psi/42psi which is recomended one for MT09. After short ride yesterday I've noticed the pressure rises to 39 psi front and 49 psi rear tyre. Is that "normal"?

I mean I know there is a rule of thumb for cars you always measure tyre pressure when cold.

The question here is what is acceptable rise of pressure after a ride?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change in pressure is calculated using the equation pv = nrt

In your tyre volume, n and r remain constant, the pressure changes in the same ratio as the temperature (measured in kelvin)

If you’re ike tyres stated at 10c or 283k, then this pressure rise would be given bY a temperature of (283 / 42 x 49) -273 which is 58c

Sounds like you weren’t going very hard to have the tyre temps less than 60

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:08 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.google.com/search?q=Gay-Lussac's+law

A 25-40 degree temperature increase is quite possible after a long or fast ride. That is 10-20% total energy of the gas, and the same proportion pressure increase.

Bin the valve cap monitors, they hold the valve open, not good if they fail. In-wheel sort do not appear that expensive, and are very common on cars.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyre pressures are always set when cold. As a tyre warms up, the pressure will of course increase.

Generally 36F 42R is what manufacturers reccomend, as it's the safest option if you have to take a pillion, or add luggage etc.

However, if you get your bike setup properly, for solo use, they will set your tyre pressures in the region of 36F 36R.

I have my MT09 set at 36F/36R and it works well.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you guys,

according to the formula posted apparently 1 psi increase for 10F is the norm. Means 7 psi increase is expected and if the temp was 50F in the morning (10C) 7 psi means 70F increase which will make the tyre 120F (48C). Seems fine to me.

Yes I do consider to change it for valve rim mounted sensors at some point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:22 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: What's "normal" Tyre pressure differences when Reply with quote

Yes - that's quite reasonable.
On track you'd expect a few PSI raise, but start at a good lot lower pressure (ie you're generally looking for around 26 hot in the rear these days.)

Quote:
Tyre pressures are always set when cold. As a tyre warms up, the pressure will of course increase.

Not if you particularly care about having the right pressure Smile - as you do on track, as per above. Where you go by hot - as setting it cold can result in a good bit different pressures when actually riding; depending on the track, ambient conditions and riding style.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:38 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bacon wrote:

I have my MT09 set at 36F/36R.

Ditto.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just check and set tyre pressures when cold, check at a minimum monthly, and don't worry about it.

Not sure how I feel about those attached to the valve cap too.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:
I would just check and set tyre pressures when cold, check at a minimum monthly, and don't worry about it.

And that is exactly what you are supposed to do. Knowing the ''hot tyre'' pressure is pointless.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
bluezedd wrote:

And that is exactly what you are supposed to do. Knowing the ''hot tyre'' pressure is pointless.

I am thinking I will get one. Quite often I stop thinking the tires are not quite right. A couple of times I did not stop and one of those was followed by a rear puncture going completely flat at 70mph... could have easily been a bit faster.... This would let me stop earlier when there is a problem, and restore my confidence when there is not - confidence being extremely important on a bike.

Looms like there are two types for bikes - both valve cap. One is bluetooth and has no dash unit, intended for a phone app. The other, as OP, appears to be 433mhz not bluetooth.
Im unsure if these are interchangeable. The car types mounted on the valve stem, some appear go be bluetooth. I cant see any shorty stem types (tr412).

Unsure if thsse valve caps will work glued inside the rim, they might need (or self contain) a pressure differential, as they likely do not measure absolute pressure.

I belive 36Psi rear pressure is only recommended with a harder shock. Its no good on a standard cbr6.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:13 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do get motorcycle ones that stick on the rim inside the tyre.

I've got some valve cap ones for my van - after having a puncture from a stone that I'd like to have known about a bit sooner - I made a point of getting metal valve stems as there's a good bit of weight on them compared to a normal valve cap.

The ones that go to bluetooth won't be compatible with the ones that have their own display as far as I know.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:23 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My BMW K bike has TPMS.
I use the indicated pressure increase it to let me know when the tires are warm enough to engage Sport Mode. Cool

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
You do get motorcycle ones that stick on the rim inside the tyre.

I've got some valve cap ones for my van - after having a puncture from a stone that I'd like to have known about a bit sooner

Funny enough two days after I've mounted TPMS I've got tyre puncture too Laughing

I have noticed the pressure on the rear droping to 36. I have stopped at petrol station made it 44 psi and 30 minutes later on the way home it was 35psi.

Gone to my local mc tyre guys and they found the tyre is punctured. It was slow puncture by really tiny piece 4mmx2mm very sharp rock Shocked When the guy removed the rock and spit on the tyre you'd see the air bubbles.

£25 later I've got full repair. Yes it is useful and I'm very happy with it. Probably will change it at some point with valve mounted sensor one, but it requires to unmounting and mounting again the tyres on the rims which is major PITA. So far this works perfect and the installation was just charging the base unit in the evening and then mounting it for 5 mins on the bars in the morning and screwing the sensor, the easiest job I've done on my bike ever Smile

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:45 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Bin the valve cap monitors, they hold the valve open, not good if they fail. In-wheel sort do not appear that expensive, and are very common on cars.

I actually agree with you for once but there does seem to be a shortage of internal sensor type systems, can you recommend any?

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you are a tire fitter I thought you would know more about them.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:44 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
kramdra wrote:

I actually agree with you for once but there does seem to be a shortage of internal sensor type systems, can you recommend any?

The ones fitted to Triumphs are charged by them at £200 a set when the batteries go flat. They are CR2032s if i remember right and you have to split the plastic to fit them and then reglue if you don't want to pay their exorbitant prices. So don't buy Triumph ones!

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
kramdra wrote:

Here is one that is exactly like mine, but the seller gives you the option to buy it with internal sensors by senidng him email asking for Built in WI: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Bike-TPMS-Tire-Tyre-Temp-Pressure-Monitoring-System-2-Sensor-CAREUD/263889569797

Obviously this comes somewhere from China, if I can find who sells the sensors only would be great Very Happy

Steelmate do 3x times more expensive: https://www.steel-mate.co.uk/acatalog/TP-90I-Pro-Professional-Motorcycle-Tyre-Pressure-Monitoring-System-317.html#SID=53

The problem with the internal sensors is you can't change the battery.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 196 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1