Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Winter Hack Harley

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

dolly3900
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:55 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Winter Hack Harley Reply with quote

Wotcha.

Seen this on eBay and was considering as a winter hack.

Has anyone got any thoughts on the bike or the source of supply?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202454832989

TIA

Mike
2002 Rieju RS2-50 (Sold, spares or repair), 2010 Suzuki DR-125SM (Traded for ->), 2007 Honda CBF 600 (Sold), 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 (Briefly, now returned), 2007 Suzuki Intruder 1800m (Even More Briefly, traded in for ->), 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Winter Hack Harley Reply with quote

dolly3900 wrote:
Wotcha.

Seen this on eBay and was considering as a winter hack.

Has anyone got any thoughts on the bike or the source of supply?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202454832989

TIA

Mike

What's the position when they're registered to the new buyer? What happens to the number plate?

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Designed to be used and abused by largely untrained squaddies, in a variety of hostile environments, so pretty much bomb proof.

Not the most sophisticated of bikes, but they do what they say on the tin.

Mate of mine had one for the purposes of hacking around London in the Winter - dropped numerous times and never failed to get him home.

The 500 has a bit more grunt, but I believe is kick start only and there's a bit of a knack to it.

Watch out for the 'stealth riding' mode, which consists of a switch that turns off all the lights, including all of the dash lamps; took my mate ages to figure out why none of his lights worked, until I pointed out the mystery switch..........

Last edited by Shaft on 19:44 - 01 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:47 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they genuine marzzokkie, onlins and gremeca tho Thinking Thinking

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:04 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

piazza wrote:
Are they genuine marzzokkie, onlins and gremeca tho Thinking Thinking

And will we find anything simmiler in the u/k Very Happy

Personally, I regard anyone who uses purple ink in their ads as very probably insane.

Bikes look fun though!

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:14 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of want Thinking

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

£2K is big money for a winter hack. It's all relative I guess.

also kinda want though.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:
£2K is big money for a winter hack. It's all relative I guess.

also kinda want though.
'

That's the right sort of money for one of those, they've been pretty firm at that price for a number of years (they were selling for that when I bought my XL600 5 years ago) so you aren't going to lose much, unless you destroy it.

Although he can't spell for toffees, the seller is right, they are very well specced and they re designed to be tossed down the road at regular intervals, so they are about as crash proof as a bike can be.

There are some interesting luggage options (ammo boxes and a rifle holder spring to mind) which I would be asking the seller about, as he probably has a load of that stuff knocking about.

I think it's a serious consideration for what the OP wants to do with it.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:37 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them. Would buy tbh.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:00 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Winter Hack Harley Reply with quote

A friend had an Armstrong (same basic thing as far as I know); wasn't overly reliable.

And pretty over-priced for what you get - even at the £2k end (note they go up to £4k or so for a good one!).

Good news is that they shouldn't devalue.

If you're the sort that would get a Landrover Defender to drive around London - then this is the bike for you Smile.

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:40 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a 500cc a few years back, seat is very high and LH kickstart is an art to get used to. Frame seems to be made of stock bar rather than tube as it is so heavy. Good fun ride.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:25 - 03 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ariel Badger wrote:
Had a 500cc a few years back, seat is very high and LH kickstart is an art to get used to. Frame seems to be made of stock bar rather than tube as it is so heavy. Good fun ride.

Listed at 162kg, it's not that heavy compared to a lot of modern bikes!
Ie; probably somewhere around a KLR650 and a good bit lighter than all but the G650 from BMW!
(Still heavy though - I should note - KTM650 enduro comes in at 138.5kg and handles off road a good bit more nimbly!

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:28 - 03 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Winter Hack Harley Reply with quote

G wrote:
A friend had an Armstrong (same basic thing as far as I know); wasn't overly reliable.

If you're the sort that would get a Landrover Defender to drive around London - then this is the bike for you Smile.

Armstrong-CCM bought the rights from some obscure Italian company, Harley bought the rights from Armstrong, then put in the 350 Rotax motor, so yeah, pretty much the same bike.

They aren't known for being fantastically reliable, but they are designed to be fixed in the field (so with minimal parts and basic tools) which makes the Land Rover analogy a good one.

dolly3900
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:37 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the insight guys.

Thinking I might just see if I can find a beaten up old 125sm and Chuck some chunkier tyres on it for the dodgy days
2002 Rieju RS2-50 (Sold, spares or repair), 2010 Suzuki DR-125SM (Traded for ->), 2007 Honda CBF 600 (Sold), 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 (Briefly, now returned), 2007 Suzuki Intruder 1800m (Even More Briefly, traded in for ->), 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:02 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolly3900 wrote:

Thinking I might just see if I can find a beaten up old 125sm and Chuck some chunkier tyres on it for the dodgy days

Unless you actually have to ride through mud, significantly reducing your contact patch with a 'knobbly' style off road tyre is going to make things worse not better.

A race-style 'wet', if it's a decent tyre, should help - but probably overkill.
They should have the correct compound to offer good grip on tarmac and the block pattern should allow it to warm to a decent temperature quickly.
(However the only road version I've used was terrible - but it was a Maxxis.)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 205 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1